8BW14

Professional Football in an Alternate Universe: Offseason News and League Updates

Brilliant series! Will there be any expansions?

Is there a list of Hall of Famers?

8 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

I agree with this idea!

On 11/16/2017 at 11:07 AM, 8BW14 said:

12/8: Decade by Decade American Bowl matchups and results

Will you release this soon? ^_^

OMG I JUST NOTICED THAT THIS SAYS PORFESSIONIAL FOOTBALL HOW DID I NOT NOTICE THIS

On 1/29/2018 at 4:01 PM, AkramTheBoss said:

Brilliant series! Will there be any expansions?

Thanks.Not next season, but there probably will be in the future.

On 1/29/2018 at 5:22 PM, neo_prankster said:

Theoretically yes, but I don't have one ready. That will be on the to-do list.

12 minutes ago, RealSkillsAbraham said:

Will you release this soon? ^_^

Hopefully. It will be released, probably a decade at a time as I have more time to finish it.

9 minutes ago, RealSkillsAbraham said:

OMG I JUST NOTICED THAT THIS SAYS PORFESSIONIAL FOOTBALL HOW DID I NOT NOTICE THIS

Yeah, missed that. It's only been that way for a couple days though. I changed it in a hurry and missed the typo😬.

Just noticed that if you google "Drury panthers logos", there is a identical panther going through a capital D. It was made as a alt logo when Drury had to change their logo because of a threat of lawsuit by jaguar.

This is a very enjoyable series.  Love the backstories, the details and the identities.  Strange question: I was going through the championships by team and don't see anything for 1967; did I miss one or was that an omission? 

How about these for expansion or rebranding:

Nashville Fiddlers... but the logo will be a Brown Recluse Spider aka a Fiddler-- double bonus points for a spider logo with a fiddle would be extra awesome!

St. Louis Spirits...  a ghost or phantom type of logo

Memphis Pharaohs... stadium called the Pyramid and team has an Egyptian motif

(North) Texas/Pennsylvania Wildcats/Wildcatters... can use the oil rig (Oilers) in the logo with a wildcat wearing a hard hat!

Augusta/Maine Lobsters

California Prospectors

Juneau Yetis

Santa Barbara Stingrays

Honolulu Tsunamis 

Amarillo Armadillos

Vegas Bandits... as in one arm bandits!

Tucson Vipers

Richmond Gargoyles

Charleston (SC) Tridents... the Trident nuclear submarines were built there

Portland (OR) Webfoots... found this reference in an old encyclopedia. The term has a colorful history!

Raleigh Radiation

Madison Mammoths

San Antonio Siege

Duluth Marauders

Tallahassee Starfish... a coral and blue uniform

Birmingham Vulcans... statue of the Roman god of fire Vulcan in city! 

Birmingham Minotaurs...  of course they play indoors in the Labyrinth! 

Fargo Express

Cheyenne Scorpions

San Jose Seahorses

Tacoma Serpents

Trenton Phantoms

Alburquerque Roadrunners.... you have the Coyotes so it could be a Cowboys/Redskins rivalry type of deal

On 3/16/2018 at 3:32 PM, SnakePlissken said:

Memphis Pharaohs

The Arena League would sue (if they exist in this timeline)

Are you planing on doing a fictional basketball or baseball league?

This thread isn't quite dead yet!

Okay guys busy spring/summer so I'm way behind. Thanks for checking in every once and a while.

Anyway, here's the scoop on what's been going on during the offseason in the American Football League.

Franchise Moves/Stadium News:

The Baltimore Admirals signed a two year lease agreement to stay in Baltimore with the stipulation that the team will negotiate with the city and state to come to terms for building a new stadium.

The New York Falcons will not be changing their name the Brooklyn upon the completion of their new stadium before the 2019 season. No word on whether any uniform or logo changes will coincide with the move.

Ownership groups in Portland and Salt Lake City have both made strong pushes for expansion or relocation to their respective cities. At this point, expansion isn't really on the table for the AFL, but look for the Admirals to use either city as leverage in Baltimore.

AFL Awards

MVP-Todd Wolters, QB MIL

Wolters lead the Chiefs to the playoffs yet again and was the epitome of MVP for his team last season, passing for 5016yds and tossing 48 TD passes in Milwaukee's pass-happy offense.

Rookie of the Year- Alfred Romo, QB ATL

Romo led the Titans to the franchise's first playoff berth since the 2009 season

Coach of the Year- Pete Mullen, ATL

With a rookie QB, Mullen turned the Titans around and brought them back to the post season in his second year as Head Coach

Defensive Player of the Year- JuWan Richardson, DE NYE

This man is a freak: 22 sacks, 1 INT, 4 FF, and 1 TD return

Uniform/Logo News:

The LA Knights will be debuting a fauxback look of sorts, returning to royal blue and gold 

Birmingham Copperheads: The Copperheads will be making some subtle tweaks to their logo and colors, while completely overhauling their uniforms.

New Orleans Pirates: The Pirates will be moving on from their dated logo and color scheme to something more traditional and contemporary.

Full unveils for each update will be coming shortly.

The AFL Draft took place on April and a full review of the 1st round will be coming shortly.

Notable Player/Coach Retirements:

Julio Lewis-LB Washington Federals

Lewis was the heart and soul of the Feds for 16 prolific years where he racked up 10 All-AFL nods and won the Defensive Player of the Year Award.

Todd Wolters- QB, Milwaukee Chiefs. Wolters surprised everyone, including his team, by ending his hall of fame-worthy career at age 36, when it appeared he still had plenty in the tank back in April.

Randall Walker-LT, Dallas Oilers

A perennial All-AFL player, Walker has decided to hang up his cleats and move on to the broadcasting studio for NBC.

Notable Hirings/Firings

-The San Diego Destroyers fired their head coach after his third consecutive losing season. He was replaced with Seattle's DC, Bill Graham. Hopefully Graham can turn things around for the lowly Destroyers.

-The Houston Comets and head coach Marty Ball decided to part ways at the end of the season as Ball's contract expired. During Ball's tenure the Comets could never quite get over the hump and make it to the post season consistently. Houston promoted well-regarded Offensive Coordinator, Mack Jennings to helm the squad.

-After a disappointing season, the Cincinnati Hawks decided it was time for a change and brought in former Comets coach, Marty Ball to turn things around for the franchise.

Spring Meetings/Rule Changes

-In the Spring Owners Meetings, the AFL owners discussed adding a Wild Card round to the playoffs, by expanding to either 10 or 12 teams, giving the top 2 or 4 seeds a first round bye. More research will be done and a decision could be reached before the 2019 season.

In Other News Around the AFL

-Indianapolis Stars veteran QB, Nathan Turner is tired of fielding questions about his retirement. The QB, who will be 41 when the season begins, says "As long as I feel good and and I can help the team win, I'll play. That's all I'm going to say on the subject".

Training Camp for all 32 teams starts Monday, July 30.

Thanks for hanging in there and look for the Draft review and some uniform in unveilings/template updates to come in the near future. Thanks again.

This is a seriously quality series. I love the year by year leagues on this board, but its cool to have a modern league that gets updated through the year. All the logos and uniforms look great and the story is pretty good too. Your doing an excellent job.