8BW14

Professional Football in an Alternate Universe: Offseason News and League Updates

New Orleans, Houston, Tampa Bay, Orlando

Just a few observations, well the obviously Coyotes is Arizona thing, but I see your point, though I would’ve much rather have seen them called the Roadrunners. The main point is that both Dallas and Denver won the championship in 1998 apparently, not sure how that happened unless there was a strike....

also Las Vegas’ alternate is really hard to read the names, maybe just add a thin black outline?

2 hours ago, CodeG said:

Just a few observations, well the obviously Coyotes is Arizona thing, but I see your point, though I would’ve much rather have seen them called the Roadrunners. The main point is that both Dallas and Denver won the championship in 1998 apparently, not sure how that happened unless there was a strike....

also Las Vegas’ alternate is really hard to read the names, maybe just add a thin black outline?

Yeah thanks for pointing that out about Dallas and Denver. That's a typo I'll have to fix. Denver actually won the American bowl in 1999. As for the Vegas alternate, you're right the name is hard to read. It'll probably be updated when the new uniforms come out.

59f9ccf31a098_aflsouthteaser.thumb.png.e3cd760c88cc28798b5bb35a2be92640.png

Here's the teaser for the AFL South, the last division in the league.

New Orleans, Tampa, Houston and maybe Birmingham or Orlando?

The one on the far right has gotta be Houston. I'm sure it'll be a NASA reference too.

2 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

New Orleans, Tampa, Houston and maybe Birmingham or Orlando?

The one on the far right has gotta be Houston. I'm sure it'll be a NASA reference too.

Yeah Houston has a space theme going, but the nickname might not be so obvious.

1 hour ago, Darknes said:

New Orleans, Tampa, Houston, OKC?

Nope OKC doesn't have a team up to this point in the AFL.

AFL South

• New Orleans
  • Tampa Bay
  • Orlando/Birmingham/Jacksonville/San Antonio
  • Houston

The one on the left, which everyone is picking for New Orleans, has an outline that is rather similar to the UNO Privateers' new logo:

teamPicThumb11708-22306-1wv5nld.jpg.150674977471008925d28f01c7670133.jpg

Okay folks, the AFL South is finally here for your viewing pleasure:

59fcaaaaa0aea_BirminghamCopperheadsbio.png.5e14a4ee6103842de882c45d9d26b28b.png

59fc8a96462b0_birminghamcopperheadswordmark.png.927fb844635f9d3cb971e0bded06912c.png

59fc8a9dc1cc9_birminghamcopperheadspresentation.thumb.png.2b28ab30dc872b712fe1f7409bed309e.png

Alden Worthington brought the AFL to Birmingham, Alabama in 1963 in the form of the Copperheads. From the start, the Copperheads were immensely popular with the denizens of Alabama, largely because of the homegrown owner Alden Worthington and his family. The 1970's were the Copperheads best years and arguably the best stretch of success for any team since the Lions of the 50-s and 60's. After struggling for years, the Copperheads brought in an unknown high school coach by the name of Bill Robertson as head coach. While the hiring of Robertson was an unprecedented move in the modern AFL, his offensive scheme was even more of a departure from the AFL standard. Robertson used smaller, faster players than the rest of the AFL, employing Grambling State running back Willie Jackson as the team's quarterback to lead his potent triple option offense to three straight titles from 1972 to 1974 and just missing a fourth in 1975. Tragedy struck the franchise in 1977, when Alden R. Worthington died, piloting his small plane. Ownership passed to his wife Susan and she ran the team until her death in 1995. In 1999, the Copperheads inexplicably ditched their classic copper helmets for green helmets with a new over-sized snake logo. The new uniforms, which are the current uniforms were a huge departure from the classic American Bowl-winning look with heavy use of black and fang shaped shoulder and pant stripes. For the 45th anniversary of the Copperheads first championship, the team unveiled throwbacks with the classic copper helmet. LaRon McLain is the Copperheads best player, a middle linebacker who is feared and for his punishing style of run defense and ability to range from sideline to sideline. 

59fc8a86eb3b0_HoustonCometsBio..png.e78f0257470a4e3c0488507b99dbc50c.png

59fc8a7e6495d_houstoncometswordmark.png.c84f7415e94ec7dad20c7bf219a740c7.png

59fc8a850cf3b_houstoncometspresentation.thumb.png.352aabfc1a2045f135476c8f2b8f39f4.png

The Houston Comets were established in 1977 and play in the AFL South. The Comets have always worn purple and white as their team colors with just a splash of shades of orange. Houston has always been a competitive franchise in the AFL, but the big one has always eluded the Comets, even during the team's best years of high flying offense from the late 80's to early 90's. The current uniforms are basically a modern interpretation of the vintage Comets uniforms, the most significant changes are the custom number font, new logo and sleeve cap on the white jerseys. The orange alternate jersey is a product of the last five years and hasn't been very well received by the fans because orange has never been a significant part of Houston's visual identity. Max Randle is the Comets' aging quarterback who has complied great numbers in his career, but has been snake bitten in big games for the Comets, going 1-5 in the playoffs.

59fc8a75915ca_NewOrleansPiratesBio..png.7a0b006a9596c4f867450bd4efe59c0b.png

59fc8a6be225c_neworleanspirateswordmark.png.c39230c46cf09c8abddd0b545c90fb96.png

59fc8a7372ba1_neworleanspiratespresentation.thumb.png.a34cb26aa174b699f163786af82eb9cb.png

The New Orleans Pirates were not well-run franchise for the majority of the team's history. Founder, Buford Buchanan was a brilliant businessman, but did not have a great football mind. Buchanan insisted on appointing himself as the GM of the franchise and hamstrung the team with bad deals and poor draft picks, but refused to concede the position until he was diagnosed with dementia at the age of 78. The Buchanan family is still the majority owner of the team, but has since relegated football-related responsibilities to more qualified minds. If the Pirates uniforms look like they would be more at home in the late 1990's, that's because they would be. In hopes of distancing the team from years of futility, the Pirates underwent a complete redesign of their uniforms and logos. The Pirates added teal to the color scheme as a play on the traditional Mardi Gras colors and changed the from yellow-gold to a darker brassy gold. Although the Pirates have had more success in their new duds, the look has grown stale, especially with younger fans who don't have any memory of the bad years, but absolutely love the throwback alternate uniform. On that note, the Pirates have made the oddly timed, but promising announcement that they will be updating their logo and uniforms for the 2018 season and also unveiled the new logo:

59fca692c303b_NewOrleansPiratesnewlogo.png.d0278e0d7394aafbb06f5aac3ebbc3ab.png

Last, but not least is the Tampa Sharks:

59fc8a5c8395b_TampaSharksBio..png.73adaebff7562ea05706b5f6a96adbc5.png

59fc8a5b5c68d_tampasharkslogoandwordmark.png.944da4a8b32376aafa1b10464ff4fc87.png

59fc8a59b5234_tampasharkspresentation.thumb.png.42a9f4b2d176ea2175090414e597d4d3.png

The Tampa Sharks have not found their stride as a franchise in their short history and are regarded by many as the laughing-stock of the AFL. Although the Sharks play on the field is not something to write home about, the uniforms certainly are. The Sharks sport a blue-silver helmet and pants with a unique color scheme of double blue and tangerine orange. The sleeve and sock striping features a unique shark fin pattern. Leon Robinson is a punishing safety and one of the few bright spots on a rather lackluster Tampa roster. His big hits and ballhawking skills give Sharks fans something to cheer about on Sundays.

59fc8aa4d5620_birminghamcopperheadsleak.png.247cbe15121aa2fba602f8f64a14d512.png

This helmet featuring a subtly updated Copperheads logo was recently "accidentally" tweeted by a member of the Copperheads equipment staff. The post has since been deleted, but not before the helmet pic made the rounds and created quite a bit of buzz among fans hoping for a return to the iconic copper lids. The team has not commented on the post, which has lead some to believe something big is in store for the Copperheads.

So that's it for the teams of the AFL, but this series is far from over. Stay tuned for uniform updates, playoff qualifiers and brackets and some more history about the teams and the league. Anyway, thanks for having a look and I always appreciate any and all comments or feedback. Thanks again for keeping up with this project.        

bBirmingham Cooppperheads Bio.png

Loving the Frankfurt Galaxy vibe to the Comets.

Did the Copperheads play at Legion Field at the beginning before moving in to their current venue?

Nice job on the Pirates.

Sharks pretty much got it right the first time like the Carolina Panthers did in '95 as far as uniforms go.

No way a team called "Copperheads" should NOT have copper helmets, so good they're switching ... allegedly.

Just to get it off my chest, comets don't move that way. OK, now I can let it go.

Like the new Pirates logo ... are they ditching teal?

Like the bluish silver for Tampa, but he wordmark is awkward, I think, with the dorsal fin splitting "TA" and "MPA" ... if it was a syllabic split, it wouldn't be so bad ... "TAM" and "PA"

LOVE the Copperheads color scheme and identity and also love the Mardi Gras colors for New Orleans, it is very unique and gives a great vibe to the team. For Tampa Bay, I like the combination of two different shades of blue and oorange and their primary logo is stellar. The Comets give a nice Astros vibe (congrats on your first World Series) and it looks really good. Nice work all around

21 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Loving the Frankfurt Galaxy vibe to the Comets.

Did the Copperheads play at Legion Field at the beginning before moving in to their current venue?

Nice job on the Pirates.

Sharks pretty much got it right the first time like the Carolina Panthers did in '95 as far as uniforms go.

The Worthington family bought Legion field outright from the city of Birmingham in 1985 and has done some significant renovations since then. Thanks for the positive feedback.

17 hours ago, rjrrzube said:

No way a team called "Copperheads" should NOT have copper helmets, so good they're switching ... allegedly.

Just to get it off my chest, comets don't move that way. OK, now I can let it go.

Like the new Pirates logo ... are they ditching teal?

Like the bluish silver for Tampa, but he wordmark is awkward, I think, with the dorsal fin splitting "TA" and "MPA" ... if it was a syllabic split, it wouldn't be so bad ... "TAM" and "PA"

Yep, it looks like the Copperheads are thankfully moving back to copper helmets and yeah, I know that't not how a comet moves, but I thought it made for a sharp logo, artistic liberties and whatnot;).

The Pirates are, in fact, ditching teal and now that you point out the problem with Tampa's wordmark, it's really bothering me so I'll go in and fix that. Thanks for your comments, I appreciate you keeping up with this.   

Here's an updated Tampa wordmark:

59fde209bbc28_tampasharkslogoandwordmark.png.226fd5d4e3a33d86a508b85a814d28b0.png

59fde20855c40_tampasharkspresentation.thumb.png.53de2d30a82a43f2b6dbe626d3ed2b4b.png

It's not dead. We're waiting for whatever updates this guy's got.