NASCAR 2018

buckeye

Hendrick Motorsports released their initial designs for 2018. Chase Elliott - #9 , William Byron - #24 , Jimmie Johnson - #48 and Alex Bowman - #88. Chevy is running the Camaro starting next season for the MENCS.

A213C03D9063406083B7F9328A556DA1.ashx

The #24 was designed by long-time NASCAR artist Sam Bass, while the other three were designed by Brendan Droppo, who is a really talented artist... but I can't say I love these. The 9 and 88 look alright, and in some studio shots that Hendrick Motorsports posted earlier today, the 9 looks better than it did last night. I'm not in love with the black numbers on the 88 either.

And then there's the 48. I'm sure it's got to do with Lowe's wanting to emphasize their Pro sales, but there has to be a better way to do that. Use black and grey, sure, but that scheme, if you want to call it that, is hot garbage. It looks like one of the futuristic villain cars from Cars 3.

54653afb4160a5a0ec239977_493e59f2.jpeg

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

I'm not a fan of Chevy or Hendrick but I must say the #9 looks sharp. The #88 is decent if it can ever maintain a sponsor. And then the #24 and #48 look awful. Lowe's is Blue & Yellow for sure, maybe silver as well. Going with a black car even if it's for some special product just looks wrong. I've also never been a fan of the #24 going with flames. It looks phony and ruined a good rainbow warrior design.

touched on this on twitter, but its good that the numbers dont have to be readable anymore or the 88 would be a complete failure with the black on blue approach. for spotters and announcers purposes, they're mostly reading the cars by shape and color, so the liveries do a decent enough job there. still, you'd like to be able to read the numbers on the doors which you struggle with the 88 especially. 

i can;t say i like any of these liveries though, there such a lack of attention to detail with tangents (numbers nearly touching shapes), oversized logos (on the hood, the 48 the type spills onto the fenders) and everything about the shapes/lines on these designs does its own thing. just looking at the 9 alone, the angle of the sponsor wordmark, the linework, and the number are all different. theres no unity between any element on the car so everything feels disjointed and slapped on. i give them all a thumbs down 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

On 10/7/2017 at 11:45 PM, BrandMooreArt said:

touched on this on twitter, but its good that the numbers dont have to be readable anymore or the 88 would be a complete failure with the black on blue approach. for spotters and announcers purposes, they're mostly reading the cars by shape and color, so the liveries do a decent enough job there. still, you'd like to be able to read the numbers on the doors which you struggle with the 88 especially. 

i can;t say i like any of these liveries though, there such a lack of attention to detail with tangents (numbers nearly touching shapes), oversized logos (on the hood, the 48 the type spills onto the fenders) and everything about the shapes/lines on these designs does its own thing. just looking at the 9 alone, the angle of the sponsor wordmark, the linework, and the number are all different. theres no unity between any element on the car so everything feels disjointed and slapped on. i give them all a thumbs down 

There's been a trend in paint schemes (especially Sam Bass-related schemes like the 24) where they tend to be designed as art first and functional liveries second. While it's neat to see what someone can do with colors or a certain design element (such as the 2017 scheme for Jimmie Johnson, which has stripes at 48 degree angles), a paint scheme should highlight the sponsor's logos and colors, make the number legible, and differentiate it from other cars on the track. Making wild designs doesn't accomplish that.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

1 hour ago, Matito said:

There's been a trend in paint schemes (especially Sam Bass-related schemes like the 24) where they tend to be designed as art first and functional liveries second. While it's neat to see what someone can do with colors or a certain design element (such as the 2017 scheme for Jimmie Johnson, which has stripes at 48 degree angles), a paint scheme should highlight the sponsor's logos and colors, make the number legible, and differentiate it from other cars on the track. Making wild designs doesn't accomplish that.

totally agree. those things you listed are important because they serve a purpose- it has to be functional because it is not art, but graphic design. im going to change position on what i said before though, like you said i do believe now that the numbers must be legible, even as some sort of a shape. (you could put a red circle on the roof and accmplish the same thing). the spotters are looking for them from far away so black on blue like the 88 isnt going to work well. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

None of these blow me away.  The 48 is a real disappointment.  Lowes has traditionally had some great schemes for their cars, but the last few have been bleh.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

On 2017-10-07 at 2:49 PM, uk-owns-iu said:

I'm not a fan of Chevy or Hendrick but I must say the #9 looks sharp. The #88 is decent if it can ever maintain a sponsor. And then the #24 and #48 look awful. Lowe's is Blue & Yellow for sure, maybe silver as well. Going with a black car even if it's for some special product just looks wrong. I've also never been a fan of the #24 going with flames. It looks phony and ruined a good rainbow warrior design.

Completely disagree. The first reason I originally became a Jeff Gordon fan as a 6 year-old was because of the blue base with red flames on the Dupont 24 car. So it might be nostalgia, but I love the return to flames, and the yellow number. Gives me a reason to stick with the 24. I was actually going to jump ship to the 42 for next season, but I think the paint scheme is enough to convince me to stay for at least another year and see what Byron can do. I also don't think the 9 looks all that great. I like the 88, and am not sure what to think about the 48.

Archived