Premier League Weekly Pick 'Em

Crabcake

So I know we're still in the midst of the international break but as the weeks will typically reset on Tuesdays I wanted to get this started today.  Hopefully you 7 who said you wanted to do it in the poll were serious :P. Basically the way it works is this:

Liverpool v. Man United

You must pick a team to win, no draws (will be explained later).  The bolded team is the team you think will win.  If you guess correctly, you get 3 points.  If the other team wins, you get 0 points.  In the event of a draw, you will get 1 point no matter who won.  At the end of every week I'll tally up the points total and enter it into a spreadsheet.

I know we're 8 weeks into the season, but the season is long enough I thought we could still do it.  Have at it!  Here are this week's fixtures:

Liverpool v. Man United

Burnley v. West Ham

Crystal Palace v. Chelsea

Man City v. Stoke

Swansea v. Huddersfield

Tottenham v. Bournemouth

Watford v. Arsenal

Brighton v. Everton

Southampton v. Newcastle

Leicester v. West Brom

spacer.png

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are my picks/explanations:

Liverpool v. Man United - Oh how it pains me to do this.  If we can't stop Joselu from scoring, what are we going to do against Romelu Lukaku?  Man United look too good for a Sadio Mane-less Liverpool right now.

Burnley v. West Ham - I don't trust West Ham, and they're on the road.  Plus, Burnley are in 6th right now.

Crystal Palace v. Chelsea - Alvaro Morata looked really good before his injury, and Chelsea still can compete for the title.  Crystal Palace need a miracle to avoid relegation this year.

Man City v. Stoke - City have to be favorites for the title.  KDB looks unstoppable at the moment.

Swansea v. Huddersfield - Huddersfield have had a great start to their maiden PL campaign, and I think it'll continue.  Swansea aren't that good either.

Tottenham v. Bournemouth - Spurs have an incredible, young core and Pochettino is an excellent manager.  They'll handle the Cherries easily at "home."

Watford v. Arsenal - Arsenal have also looked very good recently.  Watford won't be able to stop Lacazette and co.

Brighton v. Everton - Koeman could be managing for his job here, and Everton aren't bad enough to lose against Brighton.

Southampton v. Newcastle - Southampton are on poor form and Newcastle have a sneaky good side.

Leicester v. West Brom - West Brom have a lot more talent than you'd initially think.  They will get a W in Leicester.

spacer.png

Liverpool v. Man United

Burnley v. West Ham

Man City v. Stoke

Swansea v. Huddersfield

Tottenham v. Bournemouth

Watford v. Arsenal

Brighton v. Everton

Southampton v. Newcastle

Leicester v. West Brom

Count me in...

Liverpool v. Man United

Burnley v. West Ham

Man City v. Stoke

Swansea v. Huddersfield

Tottenham v. Bournemouth

Watford v. Arsenal

Brighton v. Everton

Southampton v. Newcastle

Leicester v. West Brom

Liverpool v. Man United - ManU have looked fantastic so far this year, even if it hasn't been against the best competition, but Lukaku, Mkhitarayan & Company will get three points at Anfield against a shaky Liverpool defense. (2-0 United)

Burnley v. West Ham - Burnley aren't bad, but they've overachieved so far this year, and West Ham haven't played to their potential yet, that said a draw is more likely. (1-1) 

Crystal Palace v. Chelsea - Crystal Palace need a miracle, and even without Morata Chelsea will wipe the floor with them. (2-0 Chelsea) 

Man City v. Stoke - Man City are on fire, they look like the frontrunners for the title if they can stay healthy, I don't see them dropping points at home to an underrated Stoke side. (3-1 City) 

Swansea v. Huddersfield - Huddersfield started well, but as of late they have run into a bit of a wall in the Prem. Both sides have been stifled offensively as of late, so I think this will be a goalless draw. (0-0)

Tottenham v. Bournemouth - Bournemouth have underachieved, but Spurs are far too good at home. (3-1 Spurs) 

Watford v. Arsenal - 3 Points are critical for Arsenal here to keep pace with the Top 4, and Watford aren't particularly tough. (2-0 Arsenal) 

Brighton v. Everton - Everton badly need three points, and Brighton aren't very good either, Ronald Koeman could be potentially coaching for his job. (1-0 Everton)

Southampton v. Newcastle - Newcastle have been in solid form so far this season, and while Southampton aren't a bad side, I think Newcastle won't leave empty-handed. (1-1) 

Leicester v. West Brom - Leicester have had a tough start to the season, and West Brom have been so mediocre, I think I'll go with Leicester at home in an upset. (2-1 Leicester) 

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Liverpool v. Man United

Burnley v. West Ham

Man City v. Stoke

Swansea v. Huddersfield

Tottenham v. Bournemouth

Watford v. Arsenal

Brighton v. Everton

Southampton v. Newcastle

Leicester v. West Brom

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 10/11/2017 at 3:02 PM, MJWalker45 said:

Liverpool v. Man United

Burnley v. West Ham

Man City v. Stoke

Swansea v. Huddersfield

Tottenham v. Bournemouth

Watford v. Arsenal

Brighton v. Everton

Southampton v. Newcastle

Leicester v. West Brom

Hey @MJWalker45 I just noticed that you bolded and underlined both Swansea and Huddersfield.  Do you remember who your pick was? be honest ;) 

EDIT: If you can't, that's alright, I'll just count it as a draw.

spacer.png

Here are the Gameweek 8 results:

59e6236570718_CCSLCPickEmGW8.PNG.484fcfb5b26b4f369111254acf348793.PNG

jmoe12 and jmac11281 tied for the best week with a score of 3-5-2 each (14 pts).  Very even week all around and a lot of draws this week.

Gameweek 9 Fixtures:

West Ham v. Brighton

Chelsea v. Watford

Huddersfield v. Man United

Man City v. Burnley

Newcastle v. Crystal Palace

Stoke v. Bournemouth

Swansea v. Leicester

Southampton v. West Brom

Everton v. Arsenal

Tottenham v. Liverpool

spacer.png

West Ham v. Brighton

Chelsea v. Watford

Man City v. Burnley

Stoke v. Bournemouth

Swansea v. Leicester

Southampton v. West Brom

Everton v. Arsenal

Tottenham v. Liverpool

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

West Ham v. Brighton - Brighton are meh and I'll take the home team here.  Draw is very possible though.

Chelsea v. Watford - Chelsea aren't laying eggs in two straight weeks.

Huddersfield v. Man United - Now that Mourinho has safely escaped the Top 6's worst defense with a good ole pragmatic, boring point, he can actually turn his uber-expensive attack force loose again.

Man City v. Burnley - I can't see anyone in the Premier League getting anything off City, much less Burnley.

Newcastle v. Crystal Palace - I think the Chelsea win was a fluke.  Plus Newcastle are at home and will be energized knowing they soon could be out of the death grip of Mike Ashley.

Stoke v. Bournemouth - Going with the home team, Bournemouth have talent but still aren't there yet.

Swansea v. Leicester - Tammy Abraham is very good and Leicester will have a new manager.

Southampton v. West Brom - West Brom are pretty good and are a better team than we all think they are.

Everton v. Arsenal - Arsenal laid an egg at Watford, and they could very well play poorly again, but Everton are really struggling at the moment.

Tottenham v. Liverpool - No confidence in our defense against the likes of Kane, Son, and co.

spacer.png

West Ham v. Brighton

Chelsea v. Watford

Man City v. Burnley

Stoke v. Bournemouth

Swansea v. Leicester

Southampton v. West Brom

Everton v. Arsenal

Tottenham v. Liverpool

Magic Dynasty's picks, now featuring picks in home colors! (White is substituted for grey)

ExJworW.png

West Ham v. Brighton - West Ham seem to have finally found their form, I like them at home against a "med" Brighton team. (2-0 West Ham)

Chelsea v. Watford - Watford have been surprisingly good, but there's no way they knock off a Chelsea side desperate to rebound, (2-0 Chelsea)

Huddersfield v. Man United - Huddersfield's only chance is Mourinho packing in for a draw again, United will run them over. (4-0 ManU) 

Man City v. Burnley - Burnley have been extremely competitive so far, but City are just unstoppable right now. (3-0 Man City) 

Newcastle v. Crystal Palace - Crystal Palace may have finally turned things around, but they still aren't very good and Newcastle is quite tough at home. (2-1 Newcastle) 

Stoke v. Bournemouth - Goals will fly in this game that features two shaky defenses. I like Stoke City to rebound at home after getting embarrassed last week. (3-2 Stoke City)

Swansea v. Leicester - Swansea are a tough nut to crack at home, but I think Leicester will be fired up this week, so I think i'll call it a draw. (1-1) 

Southampton v. West Brom - Two mid-table sides that are hard to break down, I see this one going down the goalless draw route. (0-0) 

Everton v. Arsenal - Both managers are under a lot of pressure, and both have a quick turnaround after playing on Thursday, but I think Arsenal are just the better side. Everton lack any sort of quality up front to really threaten Petr Cech. (1-0 Arsenal) 

Tottenham v. Liverpool - While Spurs are in good form picking up a point in Madrid, they struggle at Wembley in the Premier League, and Liverpool, while shaky defensively, are a very threatening team offensively. I think Liverpool has a very good chance of winning this game, but I'm hedging my bet and going for a draw. (2-2)

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Gameweek 9 results:

59ee7333711d5_Gameweek9.PNG.541a9e9d0e7444b2a346a79756df25bc.PNG

jmoe blew us out of the water this week with a fantastic record of 9-0-1 (27 points).  He only missed the Huddersfield v. United game, which literally all of us missed.  Magic and MJ brought up the rear with a still-respectable 4-0-6 (12 points).  Only reason I didn't do the black cells/losers for last week is it would've literally been all of us except jmoe and jmac.

Gameweek 10 Fixtures:

Man United v. Tottenham

Arsenal v. Swansea

Crystal Palace v. West Ham

Liverpool v. Huddersfield

Watford v. Stoke

West Brom v. Man City

Bournemouth v. Chelsea

Brighton v. Southampton

Leicester v. Everton

Burnley v. Newcastle

spacer.png

Man United v. Tottenham - Knowing Mourinho the most likely outcome of this game is a draw.  But with Harry Kane on absolute fire and Spurs the only teams that in my opinion can challenge the Manchester clubs, if someone's getting all the points it'll be Spurs.

Arsenal v. Swansea - Arsenal have recovered nicely from their early season struggles and should handle Swansea easily at the Emirates.

Crystal Palace v. West Ham - West Ham are better on paper.  But they are struggling, and I don't trust them to win against even Palace at this point.  They could be headef ro relegation - with that squad.

Liverpool v. Huddersfield - I'm very nervous about this pick.  The probability of Huddersfield getting something from this game is very likely but I'm gonna go with my gut and say that Liverpool rebound.

Watford v. Stoke - Stoke are a pretty bad team, hovering just above the relegation zone, while Watford are in 6th at home.  I'll take them here.

West Brom v. Man City - Nobody in the Premier League is stopping City at the moment, especially not Tony Pulis' West brom.

Bournemouth v. Chelsea - This is gonna be very close and possibly even a draw.  But I'll still take an under-fire Chelsea in this one.

Brighton v. Southampton - Both are coming off wins and a draw could happen here.  But I'll take the Saints.

Leicester v. Everton - Everton are struggling right now, and they will be shaken from the sacking of Koeman.  I'll take Leicester at home.

Burnley v. Newcastle - Pretty even, but Dyche and Burnley have done well and they're at home.

spacer.png

Archived