Names below the number

Quillz

Do you like uniforms that put the player names below the number? I believe the WNBA does it, as did the Kings uniforms in the early 90s. 

Personally, given its a bit of a rarity, I kind of like it. And I think it kind of flows with how people usually identify a player: "no. X - NAME HERE."

Maybe it's because we're conditioned to expect the name on top, but I think it looks bad.  I can't think of an example that I liked.

I could have sworn that the late 70s - early 80s Knicks did this with the uniform with New York/Knicks below the number on the front.  However, Google tells me that the NOB was normal.

2752269250_9087c9dedc.jpg83236_01_dt.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

A few teams -- probably more, once Community Jerseys are unveiled -- have names under their numbers in the NBA this year. The OKC Thunder -- not new, since their orange and white sleeved jersey had them too. There was at least one other team that had them, but I can't find them? Memphis? New Orleans? Brooklyn? I'm looking ...

1200A0BD_4770_47E5_9DC5_55A757F1AEDB.jpe

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

i like the idea and i think the Paul George jersey does it best because the design establishes some hierarchy between the 2 elements. the first few jerseys posted feel like everything is trying to be as large as possible and when you get longer names, the back becomes too busy and the 2 elements compete with each other. if you're putting the NOB below the number you're saying the name isn't all that important anyway, so the best practice here is to just keep it small. building off the George jersey above, i like the idea with a smaller than expected NOB

59de3ad2398d7_ScreenShot2017-10-11at11_34_37AM.png.38d99f4caae0f1584330326cdd691acf.png

and by pushing the large number up on the jersey, the player feels a little more balanced. he's carrying the number more on his shoulders rather than the middle of his back, which looks much better IMO

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I've always liked it when applied well, and think that women's basketball jerseys look better with names below the number, just because of the cut of the jersey -- and with where men's basketball jersey cuts are going, I wouldn't be surprised to see that at least become a little more of a trend.

German soccer teams also often put the player's name below the number, but that's because they also display the team name on the back of the shirt.

6fQjS3M.png

I think it's fine in women's sports, because it allows for pnytails, without obstructing the NOB. The WNBA and NWHL both do it.

I don't have anything against it, on men's jerseys, but it does look incredibly off.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

6 hours ago, kimball said:

There was at least one other team that had them, but I can't find them? Memphis? New Orleans? Brooklyn? I'm looking ...

It's a Grizzlies:

DJ0BOW7U8AAIvys.jpg

Also I need to agree that names below numbers works in women's sports.

4r2eer.png

8 minutes ago, pepis21 said:

It's a Grizzlies:

DJ0BOW7U8AAIvys.jpg

Also I need to agree that names below numbers works in women's sports.

Okay, that's odd ... I thought it was the Grizzlies, but then on the Grizz's unveiling site, the numbers were on top of the number?

statement-uni-back.jpg

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

The Kings are the only team that looks right with the NOB under the number as far as I'm concerned. They also had the longest run, going right back to the Cincinnati days before finally going to the standard format in 1990.

I love it in the same way I love contrasting nameplates and white front panel caps.

Love it as a unique thing that maybe one or two teams do, but would hate it as a trend. 

This of course, exclude women's sports where it is, or should be, the norm 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Archived