European Professional Baseball League

phightin21

Hey People,

As a baseball enthusiast from Germany, I'm always trying to envision a European equivalent to the MLB. Cause Baseball isn't that popular in Europe there won't be anything similiar in the near future. Therefore I will try to do 30 concepts for Teams all around the continent. Because I have no clue how to use Illustrator and only own PS CS2 I will focus on designing unis not logos. With the wordmark and cap letters I mostly use existing ones, so credit for those goes to whoever designed them. So lets have a look.

I started out with the North Western Division made up of London, Manchester, Glasgow, Dublin and Amsterdam.

First up: The Amsterdam Chafferers

Chafferer is an old word for trader, leaning on amsterdams history as a trade capital during the late middle ages. Therefore they wear the colors of the old west indian trading company.

59df6312bcfc9_AmsterdamChafferersKomplettKopie.thumb.jpg.6c53bb790fd09809837828c7b04c76e8.jpg

The three X are out of the City Flag of Amsterdam. 

Next: The Glasgow Mungos

St.Mungo is was the first Bishop of Glasgow and is the patron of the Scots. Mungo also is used as a word in the textil industry that had a huge impact on glasgow during industialization.

So I went with kind of a Padres like church themed identity.

59df63f741d9d_GlasgowMungosKomplettKopie.jpg.3bc9f863923d40269c12404eaa170686.jpg

Next: The Dublin Heather

Heather is a plant that can be found all over Ireland and its indistiguishable color gives a really unique identity.

Heather also is known as a really resilent plant, that can grow in uninhabitable areas which could represent the resistence of the irish people versus the british.

59df655b5b5b6_DublinHeatherKomplettKopie.thumb.jpg.8833e8c4b17afbbc7e986e9afaba942d.jpg

As with Amsterdam I again went with kind of a nation not city based road alternate.

I'm not wether or not I like the home unis. They kind of have a 90s/00s feel to them with the black outlines everywhere

I really really like the Chaffs and Dublin Heather (also if the name is a bit out of the domain of usual baseball nomenclature...). Glasgow is simple yet classy but I'm not fond of the roundel you put like a badge on the chest, IMO it looks a lot better as a shoulder patch as in the alternate. If you want the roundel on the chest maybe you can try to eliminate the script in one of the alternates and just have an enlarged roundel on one side. Keep on the good work!

38665609364_bedb96967e_o.png                                                                                        spacer.pngMy Behance                                                                                                   

• 5 weeks later...

Hey people, since I couldn't come up with good names for the London and Manchester teams yet, I decided to just go with whatever city I want to do, regardless of my "divisional alignment". To the people asking what cities I picked, I will list them below. I tried to include most countries even though there are few capitals of the balkan region, because I think they would be less profitable of a market. And also since I'm from Germany I kind of had a bias towards including more german cities.

North West:  Amsterdam Chafferers, Dublin Heather, Glasgow Mungos, Manchester, London

North: Oslo, Helsinki, Stockholm, Kopenhagen, Hamburg

North East: Berlin Wallpeckers, Prague Bohemians, Riga, Warsaw, St.Petersburg

Central: Cologne Revelers, Paris, Brussels, Zurich, Lyon

South West: Lisbon, Madrid, Barcelona, Rome, Milan

South East: Munich, Vienna, Budapest, Athens, Istanbul

Lyon maybe should be with the South West, Milan with the South East and Munich with the Central? This is more like I feel it. Of course if you wanted to have cities speaking the same language together then your division works well (except for some Germans scattered around :D).

38665609364_bedb96967e_o.png                                                                                        spacer.pngMy Behance                                                                                                   

Our fouth team is from the city I currently reside in: The Berlin Wallpeckers.

Wallpecker is an etymology from the words woodpecker and wall. The german equivalent is "Mauerspecht" and is refering to the people who started "pecking" little pieces out of the Berlin wall that divided the Soviet sector from the French/British/American parts of the city during the time of divided germany. It is a pretty notorious story in the formative history of the city.

The colors are the colors of the city flag, as well as the colors of the common woodpecker.

Berlin Wallpeckers Komplett Kopie

From the same division: The Prague Bohemians

Prague is the capital of the general bohemian area which makes up about 60-70% of the czech republic. When I was in Prague the name was used everywhere. So while it might not be the most creative name, it certainly has a lot of symbolism to the city. If someone wonders, the logo I used on the hats for the home unis is the tip of the lions tail in the bohemian coat of arms. 

Prag Bohemians Komplett Kopie

After I had some really classic looking identities with the Bohemians and the Mungos, I wanted to something a little more extravagant. The city of Cologne is extremely well known for it's carnival. People from Cologne really view as their identity and they are really proud of the atmosphere and everything around it. Their own slang word for people who celebrate carnival is "Jecken", which I tried to translate to English. Some websites noted that the american word Reveler would be the closest equivalent. 

Their arm patch is a typical hat. Also the gradient I used in two of the home unis are little symbols out of the city's coat of arms. "Kölle" is how people from Cologne call their own city, while Köln is the regular german name. Cologne is also known to be the "gay capital" of Germany, so I couldn't resist to make them a colorful, pride like home alternate. 

Cologne Revelers Komplett Kopie

This is a marvelous series so far. You are very thoughtful and imaginative. I only wish you could get your hands on some proper design software, because I think you have a lot of potential.

rATMcmK.png

I really enjoy the explaining of the background for each team. It really helps to appreciate better the design.

That being said Cologne really trives from the amazing colour scheme of teal and orange, so vibrant and catchy. The Wallpeckers are a thing of old school beauty and I feel like the colour combination is very balanced. Prague is just average, the logo is a smart move but I really feel like the light blue jersey is out of place. White and cream are a perfect matching for maroon but that shade of blue just doesn't work, maybe you could try with a more powder blue like nuance, less bright.

• 2 months later...

I finally found the time inbetween exams to create two new teams. So here we go: The Warsaw Insurgents

Warsaw has seen it's fair share of occupying forces but it managed to uprise against most of them. Therefore I chose Insurgents as their nickname. The Mermaid and the team colors are once again out of the city's coat of arms.

Insurgents Komplett Kopie

Also the St.Petersburg Ambers. St.Petersburg has a rich history in the zar empires and in the 19th century the zar was gifted a room entirely made out of amber by the prussian emperor. After the so called amber room got stolen during WWII it was lost and it remains one of the most mythical treasures in eastern european history. I really enjoyed working with the color of amber and I thought a deep brown color would match with it nicely. I think this might be one of my favorites yet. Also it will give you a Padres retro vibe for the nostalgic people among you.

Ambers Komplett Kopie

Given that pesapallo is the national sport of Finland, how well would a Helsinki team do? There are leagues all over the country, both male and female, and I just don't see American style baseball being more than a niche sport like American football is over there.

As I said in the introduction there isn't really a chance that there would be an MLB equivalent in Europe. I doubt that any city outside Amsterdam, Rome and maybe London could support a professional Baseballteam above A Level. It's just a nice concept I like to imagine.^_^

Archived