Reviving an old UConn Huskies logo

Penfield

Hello I am new here

I enjoy the cartoonish mascots that seemed to be have been more popular in the 70s and 80s.  Especially the anthropomorphic animals.

Anyways UConn had a great one that was used briefly during the late 80s, and I wanted to give it an update to match our current branding.  It's hard finding a decent image of the original.  Let me know what you think.

Bf7UWqbIcAEVpKF.jpg

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

I think this is a great revival of an old logo. My only criticism is the thumb on the off hand looks funny to me. Maybe make it look like its flush with the rest of the hand? Other than that, it is an amazing logo. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

15 minutes ago, bkknight95 said:

I think this is a great revival of an old logo. My only criticism is the thumb on the off hand looks funny to me. Maybe make it look like its flush with the rest of the hand? Other than that, it is an amazing logo. 

Thank you.

I agree, I was never very happy with how that hand was coming out. The original version had kind of a furry puff which also wasn't working for me.  I will go back to the drawing board on that one.  Appreciate the constructive criticism.  

Very well executed! A few thoughts:

• It's strange that the Johnathan has his own head on his shorts. You can get rid of those short logos
  • The grey outline between the navy and the white is throwing me off. The head doesn't have it, so I would avoid it in the body. Don't be afraid to use it for highlights, however.
  • The head seems a little over sized.
  • The tail seems to be angled strangely, like it is coming out the side instead of the back.

All in all, great start.

Good feedback. Regarding the head I don't disagree but I was mimicking the original while trying to be not quite as ridiculous. There is another version of that logo that is even worse. Everything else I can agree with. Here's an update based on the feedback so far

IMG_4284.PNG

1 hour ago, Penfield said:

Good feedback. Regarding the head I don't disagree but I was mimicking the original while trying to be not quite as ridiculous. There is another version of that logo that is even worse. Everything else I can agree with. Here's an update based on the feedback so far

IMG_4284.PNG

The head isn't fitting on the body. I think that you may need to exercise your artistic license a bit and stray farther from the source material. The old logo had Johnathan's head as seen from a lower angle and a bit of the side, the new one is from in front. Try lowering the shoulders and squaring them up to the viewer. Here's a reference:

Basketball-Wall-Murals-s21.png

The shoulders may line up with the angle on either side of the head logo.

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

Archived