Portland and other MLB expansion name possibilities

Oso

With recent talks of possible MLB expansion, a discussion of branding possibilities seems appropriate. That said, what are some name ideas that come to mind for potential baseball expansion teams?

Montreal seems obvious.. If they go with anything BUT Expos, I'll be surprised.. Portland and the other possible cities though are wide open.

Texas.gif

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a big fan of maintaining continuity with minor league names, especially legacy PCL names, so Portland has to be the Beavers, in my book. 

Do the El Paso Chihuahuas own the trademark for the Beavers name still? I would hope they'd be willing to sell at a reasonable price (considering those trademarks would be largely worthless otherwise).

40 minutes ago, kroywen said:

I'm a big fan of maintaining continuity with minor league names, especially legacy PCL names, so Portland has to be the Beavers, in my book. 

Do the El Paso Chihuahuas own the trademark for the Beavers name still? I would hope they'd be willing to sell at a reasonable price (considering those trademarks would be largely worthless otherwise).

I don't think so...from what I could tell, the Hillsboro Hops had briefly considered being the next Portland Beavers before deciding to represent their own lil' suburb.

bYhYmxh.png

2 hours ago, generalshepherd141 said:

Pioneers or Lumberjacks, with brown and green as the colors. That would make for a unique color scheme.

Or maybe even red with green or brown:

Lumberjack.jpg

the-makers-of-dinty-moore%C2%AE-stew-cha

Image result for paul bunyan statue

Bangor Lumberjacks

Image result for bangor lumberjacks players

Image result for bangor lumberjacks choice

And maybe even go with "LumberJax" like the Portland Lacrosse team :D

Image result for lumberjax

15 minutes ago, daveindc said:

Or maybe even red with green or brown:

Lumberjack.jpg

the-makers-of-dinty-moore%C2%AE-stew-cha

Image result for paul bunyan statue

Bangor Lumberjacks

Image result for bangor lumberjacks players

Image result for bangor lumberjacks choice

Or maybe even go with LumberJax like the Portland Lacrosse team :D

Image result for lumberjax

So kind of like the color scheme the Portland Beavers used in the early-to-mid 2000’s:

2C80719C-0EBA-484E-9AE1-54258DE04026.gif.49f78f743bc419cef6d0ab943aa9992f.gif

I think that’d make for the perfect color scheme if they could incorporate some subtle touches of dark green as well.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Other cities that have been mentioned by Bob Manfred are Charlotte and Mexico City. Charlotte/Carolina Bobcats would actually be a nice name for them, I think. I don't know if they would go for that because of the heavy association of the NBA team.

I would love to see a color scheme of mostly Carolina blue, black, and dark gray.

Let's be honest, Charlotte just ponied up for a nice AAA ballpark that isn't convertible and Portland has no temporary venue available.  I really think those cities are low on the pole.

Montreal is clearly #1 on the list, but maybe a city in Mexico could work.  Yes, Mexico City has the population but what about a smaller town like Monterrey?

Beavers just seems too Minor League-ish to me.

1 hour ago, BrianLion said:

Wasn't Hampton Roads, VA a VERY close 3rd place on the last expansion go around? 

They could be in play again. 

Hampton Roads? You must be thinking about NHL expansion. Here's an article on the last group of MLB expansion candidates:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1995/01/22/phoenix-tampa-st-pete-look-like-locks/271474e9-ae7b-4384-8645-6a6ec50283d8/?utm_term=.e36c521d47f2

Archived