Oso

Portland and other MLB expansion name possibilities

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Hat Boy said:

So they can be mercilessly taunted like this?

0kT2IdZ.jpg

No thank you.

I'm glad I'm not the only one whose mind went to Kenny Rogers jokes before realizing he meant coffee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Portland Woodlanders:

- unique

- relevant geographically and historically, as well as today

- appeals to all types who like to spend time in Oregon's forests

- fits well with a team that would play in a wooden ballpark

- will not alienate either side of the forest use debate

- anybody can be a Woodlander

 

Go Woodlanders!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PDSMLO said:

Portland Woodlanders:

- unique

- relevant geographically and historically, as well as today

- appeals to all types who like to spend time in Oregon's forests

- fits well with a team that would play in a wooden ballpark

- will not alienate either side of the forest use debate

- anybody can be a Woodlander

 

Go Woodlanders!

Cons:

-Regular name is too long

-Even a "Woodies" or "Landers" abbreviation either wouldn't be very catchy or would be used for not-kid-friendly jokes...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wildcats

Dragons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Tygers09 said:

Wildcats

Dragons

I hope you’re kidding. Those are both terrible names for a Portland sports team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

I'm coming in late on this thread, so this may have already been touched on but...

 

Portland Pioneers

 

Alliteration, has a local connection, and there is a historical precedence:

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_Base_Ball_Club_(Oregon)

That was what most people wanted the Trailblazers to be called, but it wasn't even considered because it was the nickname for the athletics program at Lewis & Clark College in the city.

 

Story here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MBurmy said:

That was what most people wanted the Trailblazers to be called, but it wasn't even considered because it was the nickname for the athletics program at Lewis & Clark College in the city.

 

Interesting.  I guess its fair for a school named after Lewis and Clark to claim the name Pioneers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

 

Interesting.  I guess its fair for a school named after Lewis and Clark to claim the name Pioneers

 

That's my alma mater!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2018 at 9:37 AM, upperV03 said:

I hope you’re kidding. Those are both terrible names for a Portland sports team.

And what would be your suggestion?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Tygers09 said:

And what would be your suggestion?

Beavers. It’s relevant to the state and would pay tribute to the old Portland Beavers. And if not Beavers, then something that has character and that’s unique and relevant to the city and state. Portland is a city with an enormous amount of character, so a name like Wildcats or Dragons would be an absolute disaster. Oregon as a whole has so much to draw upon that there’s countless things that could be used as inspiration for the name of a potential MLB franchise in Portland. My first choice would still be Beavers, but there are numerous other routes they could go, including some of the ones mentioned in this thread. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nicknames listed on this thread to date

  • Beavers
  • Cascades
  • Dragons
  • Evergreens
  • Firs
  • Golden Beavers
  • Herons*
  • Lagers
  • Larks
  • Loggers
  • Lookouts
  • Lumberjacks
  • Lumberjax
  • Mavericks
  • Mountains
  • Pacifics
  • Peddlers
  • Penny Farthings
  • Pickles
  • Pine Barons
  • Pines
  • Pioneers
  • Plaid Sox
  • Platypus
  • Ports*
  • Roasters
  • Sentinels
  • Settlers*
  • Stags
  • Sticks*
  • Swallows
  • Thorns
  • Wagons*
  • Wildcats
  • Woodlanders
  • Woodsmen
  • Wool Sox

* added after 01/22/18

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Beavers. It’s relevant to the state and would pay tribute to the old Portland Beavers. And if not Beavers, then something that has character and that’s unique and relevant to the city and state. Portland is a city with an enormous amount of character, so a name like Wildcats or Dragons would be an absolute disaster. Oregon as a whole has so much to draw upon that there’s countless things that could be used as inspiration for the name of a potential MLB franchise in Portland. My first choice would still be Beavers, but there are numerous other routes they could go, including some of the ones mentioned in this thread. 

Sorry but even though Beavers would be the logical choice, there is already the Oregon State Beavers and as you mentioned, the old Beavers team. With my suggestions, I was going with names playing close attention with R and D in Portland. Not having a lot of importance with the culture or character of the City of Portland as a whole.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Tygers09 said:

Sorry but even though Beavers would be the logical choice, there is already the Oregon State Beavers and as you mentioned, the old Beavers team. With my suggestions, I was going with names playing close attention with R and D in Portland. Not having a lot of importance with the culture or character of the City of Portland as a whole.

Which is incredibly stupid for a city with such a rich and vibrant culture and character as Portland. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, PDSMLO said:

Nicknames listed on this thread to date

  • Beavers
  • Cascades
  • [...]
  • Larks
  • Loggers
  • [...]
  • Pacifics
  • [...]
  • Plaid Sox
  • [...]

 

Those are my faves so far. 

In any case, they should don caps like this:

 

504264531-RED-a00b426c-.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now