Portland and other MLB expansion name possibilities

Oso

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, daveindc said:

This thread is literally based on recent remarks from Manfred about future expansion. Google it.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

21 hours ago, tigers said:

Why not Cascades?

I thought about that, but I was thinking more of the people who live in mountainous regions..not the mountains themselves. Let alone I don't want it to be a ripoff of the Colorado Rockies.

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Cascades wouldn't be bad. 

If we can have three bird teams, if we can have two teams named after fish or two teams named after hosiery, then I think we can have two teams named after mountain ranges.

I feel like if a team is going to be named after a mountain range at all, it should obviously be Colorado because the Rocky Mountains are the biggest/most majestic and it also defines the state. Cascades is a bit of a stretch.

i am a heron. i haev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak. if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 hours ago, daveindc said:

I feel like if a team is going to be named after a mountain range at all, it should obviously be Colorado because the Rocky Mountains are the biggest/most majestic and it also defines the state. Cascades is a bit of a stretch.

The Rocky Mountains may be more famous across the country, but the Cascades are a pretty big deal in the PNW.

Not only does the mountain range define the geographical area, but it is also emblematic of the region as a whole.  Google “Cascadia”, or spend time in Oregon, and then we’ll see if you think it doesn’t “define” the area. 

If I recall, a cascade is a kind of waterfall, yes? So for colors, blue would absolutely have to be used in that instance.

Though, when I think of the Northwest in general, the colors blue and green immediately pop out to me.

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

The Rocky Mountains may be more famous across the country, but the Cascades are a pretty big deal in the PNW.

Not only does the mountain range define the geographical area, but it is also emblematic of the region as a whole.  Google “Cascadia”, or spend time in Oregon, and then we’ll see if you think it doesn’t “define” the area. 

This is also why it's a good identity for them as people that aren't from the area would be what's a cascade? Who are cascades? 

24 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

If I recall, a cascade is a kind of waterfall, yes? So for colors, blue would absolutely have to be used in that instance.

Though, when I think of the Northwest in general, the colors blue and green immediately pop out to me.

See.

It fits the area and the area knows who they are.

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

• 3 weeks later...

Portland Ee-nas:

- Chinuk Wawa word for beavers (using this popular choice for a team name as an example)

- very unique

- the Chinook Indian Nation were the early inhabitants of the Lower Columbia river area, including Portland

- Chinuk Wawa was the first language of Oregon

- would bring attention to the efforts to revitalize Chinook Jargon

- would honor without offending

- could enlist tribal language experts to help choose a name

If the team was named the Ee-nas, the logo could look something like this...

Beaver Totem by Fred Croydon - Beaver Totem Drawing - Beaver Totem ...

6 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The Portlandinas?

The Portlandos?

73e252?filename=1523923220516_16-04-2018

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I like Herons the best. Pioneers is cool, but there's an issue with it. Cascades is cool but naming a team after a mountain range is pretty unique and that uniqueness has been used up the the Rockies. A bird name is more of a standard naming convention so it doesn't stick out as a copycat name as much. 

On 10/22/2017 at 8:37 PM, the admiral said:

I'm not seeing Portland or Montreal working. It would have to be one of Charlotte/Raleigh/Nashville and then, I dunno, something else, but I'm not high on Portland and Montreal is dead you killed it.

In no particular order...

(1)  If MLB is dumb enough to expand into Portland, "Beavers" is the only logical name choice.

(2)  If MLB is smart enough to return to Montreal, "Expos" is the only logical name choice.

(3)  The "32nd" team's location, as I've said elsewhere (and despite living here, this isn't homerism) is Raleigh, North Carolina.  The rationale is simple:  the market already supports not one, but two of MiLB's most successful, profitable franchises in the Durham Bulls and Carolina Mudcats.  With them out of the picture, there is no spring/summer season competition for discretionary income within a 350 MILE radius, the closest major league level teams being in Washington, DC and Atlanta, respectively.  There is plenty of land here that's readily available for stadium development, with the Durham Bulls current stadium built 20 years ago with an MLB-level temporary upgrade envisioned as part of its original planning.  We have potential owners here that have billions, plus have past experience running pro sports franchises.  It's literally a no-brainer.  And as for a name?  We've got Blue Jays, Cardinals and Orioles, so I present to your consideration the "Raleigh Robins" to round out your baseball bird watching.

nav-logo.png

I don't know why you guys are limiting this conversation to just Portland and Montreal. Considering the Rays' situation, I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up moving. The way I've always imagined it playing out is the Rays becoming Expos 2.0, Portland getting an NL expansion team, and Charlotte getting an AL team.

As for names... Beavers, Cascades, and Loggers are all options for Portland I've heard that I like. For Charlotte, using the Knights name is an option, though you could also go with something like Monarchs (though that is a bit similar to the Royals).

53Ocz8U.png

The Rays will get a park in St. Petersburg, but it'll be unambitious (no sailboat stadium) and small (30,000-32,000). I like Raleigh or Durham (but good heavens, not Raleigh-Durham!!) but I still don't see Montreal happening without Bell deciding it has $3 billion it doesn't need to keep.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived