Portland and other MLB expansion name possibilities

Oso

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Tygers09 said:

Lumberjax, just like the defunct NLL franchise would be cool. Fits in with both Sox's team nicknames with using the letter X suffix.

Using the x like that would be too forced. Like a giving a minor league team a food or two word animal name.

Agreed.  What was charming with the Red and White Sox is labored and pretentious here.

I think that's because of the origin.  The newspapers created "Sox" for headines and the teams adopted them afterwards.  It's like a nickname - you can't give one to yourself.

1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Just thinking out loud but I wonder if an expansion team could ever come up with a new Sox name and actually have it fit in MLB today. Blue Sox? Green Sox? Gold Sox? 

There's the A-League Everett Aqua Sox in Washington, just north of Portland.

Portland would have to be the "Wool Sox" or the "Plaid Sox" though.

My current vote is still the Cascades. Second place to the Loggers/Lagers

51 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

Call them the Lumberjacks but write L-Jax on the jerseys.

Absolutely not. If they absolutely had to abbreviate, just go with "Jacks," but that sets a precedent that I don't like, just like "D-Backs."

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

18 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I really like the name "Cascades," but I'm trying to imagine what the logo would be. 

I just assume they'd end up with something more abstract, like the Trail Blazers did with their logo. Same with the Expos. I mean, what's an expo in this context? Well, it's nothing particularly visual, but the logo they came up with in Montreal actually worked. 

Though there's imagery that can be tied into the name Cascades, I'd hope they'd consider something not too on the nose. 

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

This is exactly what I thought of the second I read @Gothamite' s post.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

7 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Agreed.  What was charming with the Red and White Sox is labored and pretentious here.

I think that's because of the origin.  The newspapers created "Sox" for headines and the teams adopted them afterwards.  It's like a nickname - you can't give one to yourself.

Seems like the use of "sox" was popular in advertisements back then too:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/recycled/2007/10/x_marks_the_baseball_team.html

But I agree that it would be too forced. You might see "Jax" written here and there like "Rox" though, but it shouldn't be official.

Speaking of the Rockies- I think Colorado can get away with that name because the Rocky Mountains is the most majestic mountain range in the country, and it defines the state and Denver. Cascades is cool, but that name might seem forced. It's still better than "Beavers", though.

How epic would a view of the mountains from their stadium be, though?

Portland

Portland-20917.jpg

Denver

mountain_view.jpg

• 1 month later...

Portland Roasters: 

- unique

- relevant throughout the state

- relevant across age groups

- widely associated with one of Portland's reputations

- can be spun in numerous positive ways

- sort of has a vintage feel about it, much like the nostalgia baseball can conjure up

And the list goes on.  Is there really a better or more natural fit?

2 hours ago, PDSMLO said:

Portland Roasters: 

- unique

- relevant throughout the state

- relevant across age groups

- widely associated with one of Portland's reputations

- can be spun in numerous positive ways

- sort of has a vintage feel about it, much like the nostalgia baseball can conjure up

And the list goes on.  Is there really a better or more natural fit?

Portland's got great coffee, but I wouldn't say it's really what we're known for. Seattle kind of owns that designation, as far as I'm concerned. We've got a stronger tie to craft beer, which is why our local minor league club is called the Hops. 

I've no doubt told this story before, but few years ago, when the Portland Beavers were looking for a new home, one of the potential landing spots was the suburb of Milwaukie. My hope was they'd move there and become the Milwaukie MicroBrewers. 

16 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

Portland's got great coffee, but I wouldn't say it's really what we're known for. Seattle kind of owns that designation, as far as I'm concerned. We've got a stronger tie to craft beer, which is why our local minor league club is called the Hops. 

I've no doubt told this story before, but few years ago, when the Portland Beavers were looking for a new home, one of the potential landing spots was the suburb of Milwaukie. My hope was they'd move there and become the Milwaukie MicroBrewers. 

Wow.  What a missed opportunity.

Archived