WideRight

USFL Alternative History: 1985 to...

Is that Napoleon Kaufman in the Samurai template?

Also, the Invaders are still trying to live up to their name, I see...

I'd like to see a wallpaper of the current USFL teams. Could you please make one?

2 hours ago, ChicagoOakland said:

Is that Napoleon Kaufman in the Samurai template?

Also, the Invaders are still trying to live up to their name, I see...

Ooh, good catch.  That is a mistake.  It is supposed to be Fred Taylor (I switched players as I worked on the season recap).  I will modify that to reflect the actual Spartan roster. 

1 hour ago, PackMan said:

I'd like to see a wallpaper of the current USFL teams. Could you please make one?

I like that idea, I will make a large "full league" image and I am also going to be putting out a list of each team's coaches and exemption players, just to see where each is as we start the next decade. 

8 hours ago, WideRight said:

Oh, and you can expect that the Patriots are never becoming "THE PATRIOTS" in  this universe.  In fact, Tom Brady may never play in the NFL.  As you might guess from my avatar and username, I am a Bills fan, so this little pocket universe is one where the Patriots of the 2000's are a lot more like the Cleveland Browns of our universe.  In fact Bill Belicheck may actually find himself out of work for most of the decade, or stuck in Cleveland, whichever I deem to be a worse fate. 

Hey, I'm a Jets fan, so I'm right there with ya.

And here it is, the 15th Anniversary image for the USFL.  Looks like Sports Illustrated revised their original 1983 article (somewhat bad image included for comparison.)

nw0a7LY.png

OH49mGM.jpg

I know being a Patriots fans, this is weird to say. But given the struggles during the 00's would the move to Hartford actually happen for the Pats?

5 hours ago, WideRight said:

And here it is, the 15th Anniversary image for the USFL.  Looks like Sports Illustrated revised their original 1983 article (somewhat bad image included for comparison.)

nw0a7LY.png

OH49mGM.jpg

Yes. Thank you so much. Am I the only one who noticed that all the expansion teams are in the bottom row?

3 hours ago, PackMan said:

Yes. Thank you so much. Am I the only one who noticed that all the expansion teams are in the bottom row?

That is deliberate.  The original 12 have their original positions, then the 1984 teams were added and later franchises were placed last.  

39 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

What are all the teams matched with their helmets?

Most of these are real USFL teams from 1983-1985, the rest are "expansion" franchises in this alternate history. 

Top Row:  Houston Gamblers, LA Express (modified logo), Arizona Wranglers, Birmingham Stallions, Cleveland (once Oakland) Invaders, New Orleans Breakers, Baltimore (was Chicago) Blitz, San Antonio (was Oklahoma) Outlaws

Middle Row: Memphis Showboats (modified logo), Tampa Bay Bandits, New Jersey Generals  (modified logo), Michigan Panthers, Philadelphia Stars, Denver Gold (modified logo), Washington Federals, Jacksonville Bulls

Bottom Row (all new expansion teams I created):  Columbus Renegades, San Jose Samurai, Charlotte Hounds, St. Louis Lightning, Atlanta Spartans, Portland Grizzlies, Chicago Machine, Boston Beacons

I wonder what happens to MLS in this timeline, they had to have been struggling with the USFL, MLB and NBA in the spring and summer

Just now, zoads82 said:

I wonder what happens to MLS in this timeline, they had to have been struggling with the USFL, MLB and NBA in the spring and summer

It's a good question.   I suspect that MLS will be fine as soccer is just in a growth cycle in our country.  They may have had more issues finding open stadiums in the Spring with the USFL around, but I suspect that the growth of soccer as a sport would not be impacted too greatly by the USFL.

One question I have not yet begun to consider is how the USFL might be better or worse at dealing with things like spousal abuse cases, suspensions, etc. as well as the whole issue of concussions and brain impairments.  They were cutting edge on tech and other elements of the game in their short run, but I am not so sure they would be in these cases as they are still scrambling to grow and compete with the NFL. 

9 minutes ago, WideRight said:

It's a good question.   I suspect that MLS will be fine as soccer is just in a growth cycle in our country.  They may have had more issues finding open stadiums in the Spring with the USFL around, but I suspect that the growth of soccer as a sport would not be impacted too greatly by the USFL.

One question I have not yet begun to consider is how the USFL might be better or worse at dealing with things like spousal abuse cases, suspensions, etc. as well as the whole issue of concussions and brain impairments.  They were cutting edge on tech and other elements of the game in their short run, but I am not so sure they would be in these cases as they are still scrambling to grow and compete with the NFL. 

You could have the USFL embrace those Vicis helmets far more quickly than the NFL.

12 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

You could have the USFL embrace those Vicis helmets far more quickly than the NFL.

I second that and have the USFL take Dr. Omalu's CTE Study more seriously in 2002-2003

26 minutes ago, zoads82 said:

I second that and have the USFL take Dr. Omalu's CTE Study more seriously in 2002-2003

That and maybe give him a seat on the rules committee or the health and safety committee?

Did the Chartlotte Wheels have the same exact uniform as the Hounds?

22 minutes ago, mkg74 said:

Did the Chartlotte Wheels have the same exact uniform as the Hounds?

I never designed the Wheels' uniform.  I do the logo and helmet but then decide which team is going to actually be used and do the logo after that.  I imagine that the Wheels would have had either a tire-tread design or a checkered flag design somehow as a part of their stripe system.  It still would have been a teal jersey.  I needed some 1990's teal and purple so the Hounds, Samurai and Spartans fit the bill for that.  Now I have to start thinking about which teams are going to go BFBS in an annoying way.  

2 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

That and maybe give him a seat on the rules committee or the health and safety committee?

So...that just leaves the domestic abuse, when Tom Brady goes to USFL, and the impending taking a knee during the national anthem

1 hour ago, WideRight said:

I never designed the Wheels' uniform.  I do the logo and helmet but then decide which team is going to actually be used and do the logo after that.  I imagine that the Wheels would have had either a tire-tread design or a checkered flag design somehow as a part of their stripe system.  It still would have been a teal jersey.  I needed some 1990's teal and purple so the Hounds, Samurai and Spartans fit the bill for that.  Now I have to start thinking about which teams are going to go BFBS in an annoying way.  

Are you up for suggestions on the BFBS thing ??