WideRight

USFL Alternative History: 1985 to...

The Vipers, with the Metallic mint green along with copper and forest green will be unique and the Stags will be the first brown-focus team, like Cleveland but with the added element of a honey yellow (Brown, Blaze orange, Honey).  I have both sets of uni's worked out, and I like them both, but I am still figuring out 2006 info (I almost forgot that Katrina happened in New Orleans, so what impact does that have for the Breakers?)

8 minutes ago, WideRight said:

The Vipers, with the Metallic mint green along with copper and forest green will be unique and the Stags will be the first brown-focus team, like Cleveland but with the added element of a honey yellow (Brown, Blaze orange, Honey).  I have both sets of uni's worked out, and I like them both, but I am still figuring out 2006 info (I almost forgot that Katrina happened in New Orleans, so what impact does that have for the Breakers?)

Looking forward to finding out what their temporary city would be (Shreveport, Jackson or Little Rock would be my best bets)

With the NFL ratings in the toilet I think its prime time for some wealthy people out there to develop an alternative more conservative NFL.

Why not bring back the USFL? 

Also with the success of Gab, not sure why more wealthy investors arn;t out making alternative Facebooks, Googles, etc. 

There is a huge market here right now.

37 minutes ago, SaintLeoIceLions said:

With the NFL ratings in the toilet I think its prime time for some wealthy people out there to develop an alternative more conservative NFL.

Why not bring back the USFL? 

Also with the success of Gab, not sure why more wealthy investors arn;t out making alternative Facebooks, Googles, etc. 

There is a huge market here right now.

I shudder to think what a "more conservative" NFL would look like.  They are already about as corporate as you can get, so that means they either go more "toxic masculine" as the XFL tried to do or more Christian, which does not jibe with the violence of football so well, either.    I am all for an alternative to the NFL, but I don't think it should be based on a political leaning.  I'd rather see a new financial model (NFL as a nonprofit charity?)

1 hour ago, SaintLeoIceLions said:

28 minutes ago, WideRight said:

I shudder to think what a "more conservative" NFL would look like.

I'm guessing - hoping? - he didn't mean literally politically more conservative. Maybe back-to-basics NFL. Here's my vote for the USFL revival ... you know, one that acually makes it this time.

Edited by rjrrzube
bad speling

16 minutes ago, rjrrzube said:

I'm guessing - hoping? - he didn't mean literally politically more conservative. Maybe back-to-basics NFL. Here's my vote for the USFL revival ... you know, one that acually makes it this time.

OK, so what does "back to basics" mean? Fewer safety precautions, less concern for health of the players?  Not sure what rules would be changed to make football more conservative (more contact of DB's to make passing game tougher?  More hits on QB?   More 13-7 games?  Is that what there is a market for?  I just don't know.  I really don't see a problem with the NFL game today except that...

1) there's a friggin' penalty on every punt & kickoff.  How do you stop that?

2) No one understands what a catch is or is not.  Maybe we should go to Rugby rules, where you have to actively run the ball over the endzone and then place it on the ground to count.

3) There is no D-;league, and college ball is now all gimmicky spread offenses and shotgun so the QB play is horrible in most cases. 

4) The Frickin' Patriots are too frickin' dominant and until they collapse the entire AFC East is not worth watching. 

2 hours ago, WideRight said:

OK, so what does "back to basics" mean? Fewer safety precautions, less concern for health of the players?  Not sure what rules would be changed to make football more conservative (more contact of DB's to make passing game tougher?  More hits on QB?   More 13-7 games?  Is that what there is a market for?  I just don't know.  I really don't see a problem with the NFL game today except that...

1) there's a friggin' penalty on every punt & kickoff.  How do you stop that?

2) No one understands what a catch is or is not.  Maybe we should go to Rugby rules, where you have to actively run the ball over the endzone and then place it on the ground to count.

3) There is no D-;league, and college ball is now all gimmicky spread offenses and shotgun so the QB play is horrible in most cases. 

4) The Frickin' Patriots are too frickin' dominant and until they collapse the entire AFC East is not worth watching. 

Personally, I wish they'd let defensive backs make contact with receivers after 5 yards. Or not call pass interference if the receiver is confronted with a slight breeze in the end zone.

Forget anything that could be controversial but the rules are way too much in the offense's favor. /rant

It's probably something like that when people talk about a "more conservative NFL". Less 1960, more 1990. As for the other definition, going political in any direction would drastically reduce the potential market share. Democrats and Republicans both tend to like football (the sport).

I referee rugby and it kills me to watch how ticky tack NFL officials are. If you breathe on a WR, it's an automatic first down. The NFL could learn a lot from rugby...

1. In rugby, the referee is mic'd for the TV audience for the entire game, which allows the viewer to figure out what the referee is calling. The NFL should do the same thing with their Head Referee.
2. Rugby has replay reviews, but it is only used when: a. The referee calls for it & b. If it is to determine a score or a Yellow/Red Card. During the review, the referee looks at the stadium's big screen while interacting with the Television official. The TV audience gets to listen to the conversation between the referee and the TV official. The NFL should copy that too.
3. Materiality is the 2nd biggest point of emphasis for a rugby official (player safety is #1). If I see a penalty, but it does not affect the flow of the game, I manage the situation, so the offending player will not commit the infraction in a critical situation. In the NFL, the officials call DPI fouls for throws that are nowhere close to the receiver.
4. If rugby rules applied to "a catch," it would be up to the closest official to make a judgment call if control is established, instead of going through 50 pages of rules to define control. 

40 minutes ago, ATolly66 said:

1. In rugby, the referee is mic'd for the TV audience for the entire game, which allows the viewer to figure out what the referee is calling. The NFL should do the same thing with their Head Referee.

Who knows, maybe we'd get a gem like "This is not soccer."  As it stands now you gotta hope Hochuli's reffing your team's game and wait for him to either get long winded or tongue tied.

"Yes, there are penatlies at CCSLC.  False start, @WideRight.  Five yard penalty, still second down."

2 hours ago, Red Comet said:

It's probably something like that when people talk about a "more conservative NFL". Less 1960, more 1990. As for the other definition, going political in any direction would drastically reduce the potential market share. Democrats and Republicans both tend to like football (the sport).

This is what I meant. Hell, dial it back 10 years ago, reputation-wise and viewership-wise. Yes, safety should have been addressed years ago. Goodell has been awful. 

But hey, enough of my yakkin', let's get back to uniforms! 

0000214885.jpg

2006 USFL Season

Many would argue that the 2006 season in the USFL actually began in August of 2005 when Hurricane Katrina ravaged New Orleans and the Superdome.  Unlike the NFL’s Saints, the USFL’s Breakers were not in season during the tragic events of Katrina, but both the Breakers and the league did all they could to help the people of New Orleans recover from Katrina, holding several fundraisers, support activities and personal appearances to buouy the spirit of the Crescent City.   For the 2006 season, as the destruction of Hurricane Katrina and the damage, both physical & psychological to the SuperDome made play in New Orleans itself impossible, the Breakers split their time between Lafayette, where they held training camp and where many of the players lived during the 2006 season, and Baton Rouge, where the Breakers games were held throughout the season, at LSU’s Tiger Stadium.  The strain of the offseason and the constant feeling that they were playing road games despite a strong Louisiana crowd in Baton Rouge led to a pretty miserable season for the Breakers, who dropped to the worst record in the league.

The other big news of 2006 of course was the addition of two more expansion teams in the West, with the Las Vegas Vipers added to the newly renamed Liberty Conference West and the Utah Stags added to the Independence Conference West.   Both teams did well at the box office, though the Vipers were handcuffed by the lower capacity of UNLV’s Sam Boyd Stadium, and a tendency for visiting teams to travel to Vegas and buy up tickets, leading to a general lack of home field advantage for the Vipers.  The Stags had no such issues as they were embraced by the Salt Lake-Ogden-Provo corridor.  With special provisions that scheduled Stags games only on Friday, Saturday or Monday, the USFL both diversified their scheduling and helped to appeal to the large Mormon community in the region.

Neither Las Vegas nor Utah spent heavily to attract top regional or former NFL players.  Utah’s biggest snag was rookie QB D.J. Schockley, acquired in a trade during the territorial draft from Atlanta.   For the Vipers, former NFL rb Chester Taylor was the biggest name on the roster.   As is to be expected from expansion franchises, both teams struggled to find cohesion and to win games.

For other USFL franchises, the 2006 offseason was a relatively quiet one. There were, of course, some coaching changes during the offseason.  After 7 largely futile seasons the St. Louis Lightning let defensive guru Dick LeBeau loose.  The San Antonio Outlaws, having failed to make the playoffs in his entire tenure with the team, also let go their defensive guru, Wade Phillips.  St. Louis would go for a young coordinator to lead the team, signing former Michigan OC Mike McCoy, while San Antonio went for experience in the much-traveled offensive coordinator Joe Pendry.   In other coaching hires, Las Vegas would nab energetic former Toronto Argonaut player and coach Michael “Pinball” Clemons as its first head man, while Utah went with former Detroit Lions and Chicago Machine DC Kurt Schottenheimer as to lead the franchise.

In player news, while there were no big-name players crossing between the NFL and the USFL, there was quite a bit of player movement within the league.  Most notable was the draft day trade that sent Dallas CB to Utah for an early draft pick eventually spent on Oklahoma Guard Davin Joseph.   Pittsburgh sent 2 defensive players to a shore up a beleaguered Arizona Wrangler defense and snagged Wrangler RB Najeh Davenport and TE Ben Hartsock.  But by far the biggest trade was between the Denver Gold and the Charlotte Hounds.  In addition to swapping picks, Charlote sent starting QB Matt Schaub to Denver, receiving Denver QB Michael Bishop and receiver Charles Rogers in return. 

Several big names in college ball also found their way to the USFL, with Ohio State’s A.J. Hawk suiting up to play LB in Cleveland, Vandy QB Jay Cutler going to St. Louis, LSU’s leading rusher Joseph Addai going to the Breakers and USC back Lendale White heading to the Wranglers to replace Davenport.  However, when the Rookie of the year award came out, it was not these big name players who walked away with  it, but a late round wr from Hofstra, Marques Colston, taken by the Washington Federals who stood above the others.  His 52 receptions and 9 touchdowns from new Federal QB Drew Brees turned him from training camp fodder to a Cinderella story star in 2006, and helped propel the Federals deep into the playoffs.

2006 USFL Season Part 2

Brees and the Federals were one of the feel good stories of the season.  Their 8-6 record in 2005 had won coach Del Rio the USFL Coach of the Year, but despite this no one saw them seriously challenging the Philadelphia Stars for the Liberty East title, but by season’s end the Federals had knocked off the defending champs twice, including a messy mud bowl in March and a sweltering shootout in June, and won the division and a bye.   The other big mover were the Birmingham Stallions, in only their third year back in the league.  Led by young Eli Manning and a powerful ground game, the Stallons doubled their win total from 2005, winning the new Independence Central Division and advancing to the Semifinal round.

The new 2 conference format produced solid results across the USFL, though not without some complaints from fans in Pittsburgh, whose 8-6 record was not enough to win a wildcard in the Independence Conference, while the 7-7 Portland Grizzlies qualified in the Liberty Conference.  However, once the games were played on the field, it was soon apparent that the last wildcard team in each division was not exactly a powerhouse in disguise as both Portland and Denver were absolutely demolished in the first round of action. 

The Championship, pitting two high-powered offenses, saw Carson Palmer and the LA Express taking on the upstart Washington Federals.  Palmer and Brees dueled the entire game, each throwing for over 300 yards and 3 TD’s.  Brees found Antonio Freeman and Marques Colston for scores, but it was a late Palmer to Terrell Owens 44 yard TD on a sluggo route that gave the Express the win and their first title since the Steve Young gem in 1997.   While LA won the game, the talk around the nation that July was of the suddenly bright future of the Washington Federals.

2006 USFL Final Standings

INDEPENDENCE CONFERENCE

LIBERTY CONFERENCE

EAST

*WSH   11-3

*PHI       9-5

*BOS     8-6

NJ          5-9

CENTRAL

*MICH    9-5

PIT         8-6

STL        7-7

CLE        6-8

CHI         5-9

WEST

*DAL     9-5

*DEN     8-6

HOU      7-7

SAN      6-8

UTAH    3-11

EAST

*JAX     10-4

CHA       7-7

ATL        6-8

BALT      5-9

CENTRAL

*BIRM    10-4

*MEM     9-5

ORL        7-7

TBY        5-9

NOR      2-12

WEST

*LA      11-3

*SJO     9-5

*POR    7-7

ARZ      5-9

LV         2-12

2006 USFL Playoffs

Wildcard Round            Dallas(3) d. Denver(6)                    Jacksonville(3) d. Portland(6)

Philadelphia(4) d. Boston(5)            Memphis(4) d. San Jose(5)

Divisional Round         Washington(1) d. Philadelphia(4)      Los Angeles(1) d. Memphis(4)

Dallas(3) d. Michigan(2)                    Birmingham(2) d. Jacksonville(3)

Semifinal Round         Washington(1) d. Dallas(3)               Los Angeles(1) d. Birmingham(2)

2006 USFL Championship             Los Angeles 38  Washington 35

2006 USFL Awards

2006 USFL Most Valuable Player: Drew Brees, QB, Washington

2006 USFL Coach of the Year:  Jim Fassel, Birmingham

2006 USFL Rookie of the Year:  WR Marques Colston, Washington

2006 USFL Relocation, Expansion and Uniform/Logo Redesign

1.        The Las Vegas Vipers began play.  Their “tattoo-inspired” design utilized a deep forest green, a metallic copper, and for the first time in pro football, a metallic mint green for the helmets and pants. 

2.       The Utah Stags began play.  Their uniform combined a hunting motif (blaze orange, deep brown and honey gold) with a unique shoulder treatment designed to resemble a rack of antlers. 

3 hours ago, WideRight said:

And then the Utah Stags.

ejbKook.png

Wow!! didnt think it was possible given the colors but you made this work. nice job there...

Oh, my Bandits arent doing very well. Maybe its time for a new coach?

15 hours ago, Bomba Tomba said:

Antler helmets woulda been cool

I thought about that, even tried a couple of looks, but they all seemed derivative of the great designs that Dane Storrusten created for the A11FL's Chicago Staggs.  I thought doing the shoulders would be different, and it gave me something visually interesting to do with the jerseys and the odd color combo of brown, orange and honey.  Maybe an alternate helmet at some point?

2006 Update

At the midseason owners meeting, the USFL reviewed the state of the league, and developed a strategic plan to take them into the next decade.  As part of this plan the USFL highlighted renovation and renegotiation with stadia in several locations, cooperative efforts with MLB and the NFL and that a study on long term medical effects of the game, including concussion protocols and post-retirement health benefits as part of upcoming USFLPA contract renewal.   The biggest news came mid-conference when the USFL announced that it would cap expansion to a total of 30 franchises, with anticipated growth to 30 in 2010 and no expansion beyond 30 teams until at least 2016. 

Within weeks, several ownership groups and proposals were made public.  The USFL would engage in a multi-year process to assess, review and decide upon the final two expansion franchises.  Cities represented by expansion bid groups included: Seattle (WA), Sacramento (CA), Omaha (NE), Twin Cities (MN), Indianapolis (IN), Louisville (KY), Miami (FL), Queens/LI, (NY) and Oklahoma City (OK).  

While owners would examine market size, stadium viability, ownership resources and finances as well as football pedigree of both the ownership group and the community, you as fans can speculate as to which franchises would be chosen.  The USFL laid out the following timeline:

2007:  Reduce the pool from 9 contenders to 4 finalists.

2008:  Full proposals from the 4 finalists groups, to include team identity as well as all the financials and stadium agreements.

2009:  Selection of the final two franchises and ownership groups.  Expansion Draft and realignment of league divisions into 2 conferences of 3 five-team divisions each. 

2010:  Introduction of expansion franchises with 2010 season. 

So let the prognosticating begin:

Seattle

Sacramento

Omaha

Oklahoma City

Twin Cities

Indianapolis

Louisville

Miami

Long Island/NY