WideRight

USFL Alternative History: 1985 to...

30 minutes ago, CheeseBurger22 said:

Is it possible for the breakers name to be used for the new Boston team?

New Orleans has that name.

Boston Brotherhood (playing too much Fallout 4 right now and Minutemen wouldn't work)

Seattle Totems

Alternate logo for an April Fool's Day game in 2018 cwc-sonic-totem-582806eabb3f7.png

One off-wall nickname I'd suggest is "The Massachusetts 54," in honor of the 54th regiment in the Civil War (the 1st all-black regiment in American History). Or you could go with The Boston Commoners (in honor of Boston Common), or Boston Shamrocks (it might be a rip-off of the Celtics, but how cares), or Boston Runners (in honor of the Boston Marathon),  

44 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

New Orleans has that name.

Boston Brotherhood (playing too much Fallout 4 right now and Minutemen wouldn't work)

Seattle Totems

Hide contents

Alternate logo for an April Fool's Day game in 2018 cwc-sonic-totem-582806eabb3f7.png

Oh I see. Well then, let’s go with the Boston Admirals!

On 1/8/2018 at 3:18 PM, WideRight said:

Why would the Raiders move to Las Vegas?  They have been very happy sharing a stadium with the Express in L.A. since the early 1990's.  It is poor Oakland that has been without a team (USFL or NFL) since the Invaders moved to Cleveland.  

Crap, I completely forgot that the Raiders where in LA instead of Oakland. Disregard that comment.

Still working on names, so keep the suggestions coming.  But, while I have you here, I might as well crowdsource some ideas on colors too.

What colors do you feel work well for each location?  Try to avoid the colors of any current NFL team in the area.

Boston/New England (avoiding Red, Navy & Silver)

Miami (avoiding teal/aqua or orange)

Seattle (avoiding blues & neon green)

Kansas City (avoiding red & yellow)

New York (avoiding red+blue or green+white)

Orlando-- I guess we want to avoid the colors of the Buccs, but also the TB Bandits or Jax Bulls. 

Thoughts?  I realize the team name may be a part of this.  You cannot be the Sharks with red & orange, or the Celtics with Black & aqua. 

As I've noted elsewhere, my choices for new USFL markets in this round of expansion would be New England and Seattle, with the franchises branded as the New England Knights (Purple Silver Black) and Seattle Steelheads (Olive Silver Red).

As for team identities in the other potential expansion markets, I'd suggest...   

Kansas City Cavalry (Dark Blue Sky Blue Dark Yellowor Kansas City Stampede (Sky Blue Bronze Black)
Miami Mantas (Black Slate Blue Silver)  or Miami Morays (Blue Neon Lime Sky Blue)
New York Centaurs (Black Gold Purpleor New York Gargoyles (Black Pewter Deep Red)    

Orlando Dragons (Deep Green Neon Lime Bronze)  or Orlando Juice (Orange Blue Neon Lime )

Orlando Rockets (Navy, Powder Blue, Yellow) 

Miami Neons (Black and white uniforms with neon colored accents) 

Kansas City Express (Blue and Black) 

Seattle Emeralds (Green and White) 

New York Lancers (Yellow and Black) 

10 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

As I've noted elsewhere, my choices for new USFL markets in this round of expansion would be New England and Seattle, with the franchises branded as the New England Knights (Purple Silver Black) and Seattle Steelheads (Olive Silver Red).

I second that.

10 hours ago, Red Comet said:
14 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

New York Gargoyles (Black Pewter Deep Red)    

This. Just. This.

Yes, this is a good idea.  The imagery could suggest something out of Gotham City in the Batman animated series.

Related image

Related image

I forgot Boston: 

Boston Admirals (Cadet blue and Gold)

Boston/New England - Boston Shamrocks (green, white)

Miami - Neptunes (blue... something to go with it, based on the Roman God)

Seattle - Cougars (forest green, brown)

Kansas City - Hogs (I'm not sure which colors to go with)

New York - Gothams (Dark Gray, Yellow)

Orlando - Osprey (since it is 2011, they could go with the "out there" colors, Volt as a definite with a Midnight Blue)

5 hours ago, Dan O'Mac said:

Orlando - Osprey (since it is 2011, they could go with the "out there" colors, Volt as a definite with a Midnight Blue)

Just wondering, why Osprey?

For a color scheme, I don't really care about the name but it should be dark purple (so dark it almost looks black), light blue, and silver.

20 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Just wondering, why Osprey?

For a color scheme, I don't really care about the name but it should be dark purple (so dark it almost looks black), light blue, and silver.

Why Osprey? Mostly, the University of North Florida uses it as a mascot, it's a hawk that is (supposedly) native to Florida (I'm from Wisconsin, so I'm just going off what I can find on the internet), and there aren't many (if any) birds in this USFL.

New York Dragons

New England Steamrollers

Kansas City Blues

Seattle Warhawks

Maimi MidKnights

Orlando Swamp Dragons

Just letting you know that I have not forgotten this thread.  I have identities worked out for 1 Boston bid, as well as Orlando, Seattle and Kansas City.  NYC, Miami and other Boston bids are on the way.  Leaks may start coming out as soon as today and the USFL will release their selections soon. 

2012 USFL Update:  

The expansion bid presentations have begun.  The first ownership group to present is John Henry's Orlando proposal.  Orlando, while a legacy city for the USFL, is considered a longshot bid, as the ownership group has fewer resources than several others and Orlando is a smaller market than several of the other bids.  There are also some owners who are concerned that with Henry already owning both the Boston Red Sox and Liverpool FC of the EPL, that the Orlando franchise and the USFL would not be bringing in a dedicated ownership with leaguewide success as a priority.  

The team opted to go with a space/NASA themed identity due to the proximity of Florida's famed Cape Canaveral (Kennedy).  While the color scheme of navy, "rocket fuel" orange, and sky blue is unique within the league, several sources within the league meetings seemed to indicate that the Baltimore Blitz were disturbed by the similarities to their own wordmark-based logo. 

CyDxi4O.png

The second bidding group to present was the Kansas City bid, revealing a design for the Kansas City Rogues which utilized a fox as the primary logo.  The ownership group, led by Gary Burrell of Garmin fame, revealed a regional bid, citing the lack of USFL franchises not only in the Missouri-Kansas area of the city, but also expanding out to Oklahoma, Nebraska and the Dakotas.  League owners seemed skeptical that fans from as far away as Sioux City or Omaha would regularly make the trek to KC for a game, though there was some agreement that TV ratings in the region might be boosted with a Kansas City franchise. 

BB2Quu2.png

The third bid to present was considered one of the favorites for the non-Boston expansion franchise, the Seattle bid led by Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos, but presented by the respected duo of former QB's Warren Moon and Rick Neuheisel.  The two QB's spoke of the market as one of considerable corporate support as well as a rabid football fan base.  Having the full participation of the U. of Washington for use of a recently refurbished Husky Stadium also made this a strong bid.

The team identity, based on one of the iconic sea creatures of the Northwest, the Orca or Killer Whale, was one of the most controversial of the bidding groups, with its avant-garde 2-tone helmet (white & black) and the decision to use the less obvious plural form of "Orca" instead of "Orcas", but many within the room felt that the unique look and feel of the identity was just what the league needed moving forward.  

Xr75AXO.png