WideRight

USFL Alternative History: 1985 to...

At last (after far too long figuring out how to post pictures again.   Here are the 1997 USFL Boston Beacons. 

Ah4VYjK.png

Charlotte’s uniform really fits the era and Boston looks great.

Both uniforms are a thing of beauty

Great job on the uniforms, but I kinda wish the Hounds helmet logo was just the dog by himself.

Hounds look amazing! I wonder if they'll have the same early success as the Panthers..

1996 Update:  September 1996: The San Jose Pick the Name Contest officially opens with a phone in campaign run through the Mercury News, and local radio and TV advertising.  Here are the two logo packages which were open for voting in 1996.  (My notes:  Yes, that is the Barcelona Dragons logo.  It was always one of my favorites and the same designers who would have worked on the WLAF would certainly have been available to work for the USFL, so it is not entirely impossible that this logo, and maybe a couple of others, would find their way into the league.)

fsNfmCt.png

USFL Alternative History SideNote:  We have been following the USFL from 1985 until 1996, but what did this alternative history mean for the NFL and for other leagues.  Some changes have been revealed in our USFL descriptions, but for the sake of clarity, here are the major impacts for football outside of the USFL.

The presence of the USFL meant full-time top-tier placements not only for the approximate 1,400 players on 28 NFL teams, but also for a growing number of players in the USFL, a total of nearly 1,100 players by 1996.  This means that there is simply less talent for other leagues.  Add to that the Spring/Summer schedule of the USFL and there is not a large gap in the football year for other leagues to eek out an existence.  For this reason, along with the talent swap between the NFL and USFL...

1. The WLAF/NFL Europe is never developed by the NFL.  When you factor in the huge loss in the 1986 lawsuit, the competition for players and the additional developmental benefits of having the USFL around, the NFL focuses their attention on the U.S. market and retaining its cultural dominance rather than expanding into Europe or creating a developmental league.
  2. The CFL suffers a lower quality of play due to more U.S. players opting for the USFL.  This, along with internal financial crises in several teams lead to the loss of franchises in Ottawa, Montreal and Winnipeg.  The league never expands into the USA as several potential cities (Memphis, Baltimore, Birmingham, San Antonio) are already strong USFL locations.  Over the course of the 1990's the CFL retools, moves towards smaller venues where possible and by the early 2,000's we see the return of the Montreal Allouettes and Winnipeg Blue Bombers.  The Ottawa RedBlacks would come back as well in the late 2000's. 
  3. Arena Football, as an experimental indoor league, operates from the late 1980's through the mid 1990's, but is confined to smaller cities such as Albany, Ft. Wayne, Spokane and Little Rock.  Travel costs and low attendance cause the league to fold in 1995.

Additionally NFL expansion and relocation is impacted by the USFL presence as well.

1. The LA Raiders, able to reach a stadium deal in LA with the support of the USFL Express do not return to Oakland in 1995. 
  2. The Houston Oilers, likewise able to work with the USFL's Gamblers and the city do not relocate to Tennessee.
  3. The L.A. Rams do relocate to St. Louis, due in part to their status as the 3rd team in L.A. and the ability to work with the USFL's Lightning on the Edward Jones Dome.
  4. Expansion to Charlotte remains the same, and Jacksonville is seen as less of a surprise due to the record of good attendance show to the Bulls. 
  5. The Browns still relocate to Baltimore.
  6. The NFL will replace the Browns in Cleveland in 1999, but they will have to add a new team to reach 32 total franchises.  Houston is already occupied, so where will they go?
  7. Several NFL teams with stadium issues threaten to move to USFL cities.  Will one of the teams which did not relocate in reality opt to do so in a world where the USFL exists and can both prove attendance viability and potentially partner on a stadium?  Certainly neither the Chargers nor the Rams will move back to LA, so will one of them end up elsewhere or stay in St. Louis and San Diego respectively?

More changes to come as we move forward towards the next millennium. 

I'm getting Jaguars vibes from those Hounds uniforms... my picks are Atlanta Titans and San Jose Dragons.

33 minutes ago, rjrrzube said:

Not so sure the Dragons logo would exist like that. I believe I remember it was created to look like some dragon imagery in Spain. 

Probably true.  Dragons are a symbol frequent in Catalonia (St. George is patron saint).  Still, it is so good I had to use it.  

And here are the two Name The Team contestants for Atlanta:  Spartans or Titans.

Full disclosure, the Titans ATL (yes, the 2nd A is really a Lambda, Greek L) is a reimagination of the Tennessee Titans' secondary logo with a bit of Toronto Argonauts thrown in for good measure.  The Spartans logo is heavily influenced by San Jose State, though, if you look at mine and SJSU, I tried to do what I could to make it my own.

Also full disclosure, this truly is a name the team challenge as both logos will get used.  Whicheve name wins gets their logo as the primary, the losing logo/name is the secondary logo.

First name to 10 likes gets the win!!!  (I like them both so I am fine either way.)

jw7s5Nj.png

Still leaning towards the Titans!

EDIT: Okay, I'm for Spartans. The Titans logo makes perfect sense as a secondary.

Spartans and Samurai

Spartans, and the other logo will make a great secondary. 

And Samurai. What does the Japanese say? I think I'd rather it say "SJ" in a Japanese-ish font.

EDIT: Yeah, I see the "SJ" in the ribbon, but not at first! 

Edited by rjrrzube

Dragons and Titans.

Spartans still gets my vote for ATL...both logos are awesome, but the Spartans logo just looks more like a primary one.