Lights Out's NCAA Football: Sun Belt

Lights Out

SEC East

Georgia

7pP45Xl.png

Georgia's look is based on their old basketball uniforms, which I greatly prefer to their current "Bulldog Bold" identity. Georgia happens to be a school that can pull off the Oregon-style mix-and-match approach while still being traditional - throughout their history, they've already worn silver and black helmets, black jerseys, and red and black pants. I worked all of those elements in together while also giving them some striping consistency.

Florida

TnE4a4h.png

The only change for Florida is consistent striping on the white helmets and orange jerseys.

South Carolina

4kExuBZ.png

The Gamecocks get a new look based around the striping from their 1983-88 helmets. Admittedly, this is a busy striping design, but it's a unique one that they can own - unlike their current two-tone stripes that are reminiscent of Ole Miss' pants.

Kentucky

f3PRP6Q.png

UK's current uniforms are pretty good, but I wanted to bring them closer to their basketball uniforms.

Missouri

tzCtsaM.png

I'm not a huge fan of Mizzou's current identity. I think they had the right idea with the two-tone sleeve trim from their previous uniforms, but the piping and panels ruined it. I decided to focus on that element and base the uniform around it. Instead of using their current awkward custom font, I brought back one of their old wordmarks and used a number font that would match it.

Tennessee

rErDzX6.png

Not much changes for the Vols. I decided to go with orange facemasks on the helmets because I liked the way it looked. I also gave them a brand new road alternate inspired by the road uniforms of the Condredge Holloway era. Instead of black outlines on the numbers, I decided to work in some of the powder blue typically used by the Lady Vols.

Vanderbilt

ofdqo8j.png

Vanderbilt gets a striping design based on the Commodore naval insignia.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SEC West

Alabama

PhiRQ8x.png

Alabama gets a few tweaks to a classic look. Most notably, the number font on the jerseys has been changed to match the numbers on their iconic helmets. They also get white helmets for special occasions, a throwback to the Bear Bryant era.

Auburn

Zxqrhb5.png

Auburn gets some much-needed striping consistency, their custom number font instead of generic block, and the return of their old orange alternates for special occasions.

LSU

4NnZ70p.png

LSU gets some much-needed striping consistency and a gold alternate jersey. Instead of their current logo, I used the logo of the Tin Roof Brewing Company's Bayou Bengal Lager on the helmers and pants. As sad as it is that a beer brewery has a better LSU Tiger logo than the actual school has ever used in its history, it's a fact.

Texas A&M

2BffBiv.png

Not much change for the Aggies other than striping consistency, the elimination of the bevel, and an updated logo that matches their font.

Mississippi State

cd70JV0.png

I liked Mississippi State's old ribbon-themed uniforms, but the execution was poor - they looked too much like Texas A&M. So here's a different take on the idea. They also get a gold-trimmed alternate for the Egg Bowl.

Ole Miss

C44ktOa.png

Ole Miss gets some striping and color scheme consistency, and special powder blue alternates for the Egg Bowl.

Arkansas

5LOhRcd.png

I really dislike Arkansas' current uniforms, but I'm a big fan of the set that preceded it. So I brought it back with a simplified color scheme and their current font.

xLmjWVv.png

ACC Atlantic

Clemson

oTogv8c.png

I decided to keep it relatively simple for Clemson, focusing on their nice color scheme and traditional stripes. The biggest changes are the use of their custom font, purple helmets to go with the purple jerseys and pants, and a Howard's Rock-themed alternate.

NC State

k6DyPw6.png

NC State has had a very boring uniform history. Their one uniform set in recent memory with any character to it was a blatant ripoff of the Atlanta Falcons. I decided to remove black from their regular home and away gear to differentiate them from Louisville and place their "wolf pack" alternate logo on the sleeves. I also decided to keep their "Black Howl" alternates, but tone them down considerably so they don't look like clownsuits anymore.

Wake Forest

5spSn2A.png

I like Wake's current uniforms, but I figured the striping could be simplified a bit. I also switched to a number/NOB font that matches their logo.

Boston College

rZ8a0KG.png

I reintroduced black trim to BC's uniforms in an effort to differentiate them from Florida State. I also ditched the contrasting sleeves, brought back normal pants stripes and made the striping more consistent across the uniform. I didn't think their current look needed any huge changes, just minor tweaks.

Louisville

Y5URJdn.png

I actually like the wing stripes on their current uniforms - it's the rare modern Adidas element done right. I added matching stripes to the helmets and pants, and that's about it.

Florida State

Q6rrMZQ.png

I like Florida State's uniforms a lot, so I didn't want to change much. I brought back white numbers on the garnet jerseys to differentiate them from BC and also because I just like the way it looks. I also replaced their BFBS alternates with a gold jersey, which would only ever be worn with the alternate garnet helmet and pants pictured here.

Syracuse

UX5u1Rq.png

Syracuse's current football uniforms are a disaster, to say the least. Instead of trying to fix them, I elected to give them new uniforms that match their basketball uniforms. This will be a recurring theme for more of my concepts as we move into the Coastal Division.

xLmjWVv.png

ACC Coastal

Miami

K1snuXB.png

IMO, Miami is one of those schools that looks better in modern uniforms than classic ones. With that said, others feel differently. I thought Adidas had the right idea with their first uniform set for Miami in blending their classic look with modern elements, but the execution was poor. I took the general idea of the striping design there and toned it down so it's not as overbearing. I also finally made their striping consistent throughout the whole uniform, and I brought back their custom font.

Georgia Tech

RXocqL6.png

The Jackets get a simple, classic look. Having two slightly different white jerseys seems to be their thing, so I rolled with it. I also gave them a gold alternate jersey because it looked nice. A sublimated honeycomb pattern in the stripes gives a slight nod to modernity.

Virginia

EReHYjj.png

UVA's current uniforms are a boring, mismatched mess. I decided to give them a brand new look based on their current basketball uniforms.

Virginia Tech

KnGWTed.png

Like UVA, VT also gets a basketball-inspired set. Their basketball program uses an interesting striping design, so I decided to apply it to the jerseys and pants here. I also decided to bring back their old quirk of contrasting TV numbers on the sleeves, because it was a distinctive element and uniquely VT.

Pitt

FPBjzaf.png

Royal blue and gold make their official comeback for Pitt, as this appears to be the direction their brand is headed in. Simple Northwestern stripes appear on the helmets, jersey collars and pants. Instead of their current custom font, which is kind of clunky, I elected to go with a rounded number font that pairs well with the Pitt Script.

Duke

XV5uu14.png

Basing a Duke football concept on their basketball uniforms is admittedly clichéd at this point, but there's a reason everybody does it. Here's my take on the idea.

North Carolina

Chxrxpg.png

I really like UNC's current football uniforms, but I wanted to bring them more closely in line with their basketball uniforms, so here's my attempt to accomplish that.

xLmjWVv.png

Pittsburgh - I'd look for a rounded number that's less cartoonish.

Clemson - I'd burn the anthracite uniform, it just doesn't fit them. 

Miami - I like the striping pattern on the jerseys but I'd stop at the sleeve caps. 

Syracuse - Needs a blue jersey.

Duke - For the pants stripe, look at their PK80 shorts and use that. 

Virginia Tech - I like the shoulder loop design, it's different and can work for them. 

Carolina - Just about perfect. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Big 12

Oklahoma

OWDr8jW.png

Not a whole lot changes for the Sooners, who have a classic look. I used their new font and updated the OU monogram to match. The pants stripes are slightly tweaked to match the basketball team's uniforms, and the crimson "Bring the Wood" alternate returns in a more toned-down form.

TCU

gjyyYP6.png

TCU gets some slight tweaks. A red "blood stripe," inspired by the blood that horned frogs shoot from their eyes to defend themselves from predators, appears as a motif throughout the uniform set. The frog skin pattern is relegated to the helmets, sleeves and pants. The helmet features one of the unused logos from TCU's abandoned rebrand, as I prefer it to their current frog logo. Additionally, the arched TCU wordmark has been brought in line with the rest of the school's athletic identity.

pi2kIcd.png

Not much changes for Texas. Their iconic sleeve stripes move down to the cuffs in order to accomodate TV numbers on the sleeves, like they used to have until recently. The fonts are also tweaked in order to match the rest of their sports teams' uniforms. The Longhorns also get a throwback helmet for special occasions.

Iowa State

WE6Tk5U.png

The Cyclones get a new look inspired by their basketball team's uniforms. The cyclone-bird logo returns to the helmets.

Oklahoma State

lKULCPB.png

The Pokes' current uniforms are pretty nice, so I only made minor tweaks. The "COWBOYS" wordmark moves from the pants back to their traditional spot on the front of the jerseys. I also updated their oSu monogram to match their new font, since the current one is now outdated and clashes with the rest of the identity.

West Virginia

njVmqFR.png

Weirdly, I actually like the addition of black to WVU's identity. However, I really dislike their current uniforms. I gave the Mountaineers a new, simplified look with a legible number font that actually pairs well with their iconic "WV" logo. The oddly-shaped side panels are finally removed from the jerseys.

Kansas State

x5BylI9.png

The only changes I've made to K-State's classic look is making the font match the rest of their athletic identity and giving them purple pants again as an alternate option on the road.

Irziq3P.png

Texas Tech is another program with nice uniforms that I didn't want to change too drastically. However, for a program known as the Red Raiders, they wear black uniforms far too often. I eliminated the black helmets, jerseys and pants from their uniform set entirely, and gave them a throwback to their 1930 uniforms.

Baylor

zN0WI71.png

Another school where only minor tweaks were necessary (IMO). The bear-paw design is shifted downwards on the sleeves, the pants stripes change to a more traditional look, and the "BU" monogram has been changed to reflect their custom font.

Kansas

ER9UWAl.png

This set is inspired by my favorite Kansas basketball uniform set of all time.

xLmjWVv.png

I love the modernizing of K-State, but you just triggered a PTSD flashback to the Ron Prince era with the purple pants, which is something K-State fans would like to forget.

Welcome to Kansas, where you can see your future, literally.

image.png

IMG_1326.PNG

Iowa State is my favorite so far. Love the design and love that the Cardinal is back on the helmet.

My only gripe with these is that changing some of these logos to match fonts downgraded them a bit. OU, OSU, Baylor, etc. I would keep the logos as they are. Other than that, you’ve got a lot of great ideas here!

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Probably would have gone with a Pistol Pete helmet for Oklahoma State. 

Would have gone with a black set for Baylor, since that has been their best for years. 

I definitely agree that your Iowa State set is possibly the best of all...it's a great look...love that helmet!!!

In this day of the giant helmet logo, I would love to see the Longhorns go with a huge Bevo Longhorn on both sides to see what it would look like...would love it.

PAC-12 North

Stanford

rkBLTCZ.png

Stanford's current look is very boring and - aside from their helmet - derivative of Alabama and Oklahoma. I decided to work green back into their identity and give it a more prominent role in the color scheme. The pants stripes are based on their basketball team's PK80 uniforms.

Washington

MRIwBCg.png

I couldn't decide what to do for Washington, so I just gave them a simple, clean, no-nonsense look that allows their great color scheme to shine.

Washington State

MT6PHbb.png

Washington State's current uniforms are dreadfully boring and don't even use their color scheme correctly. I decided to give them a new look based on their basketball team's new uniforms - though I further tweaked the design by trying to reduce the amount of white as much as possible in favor of silver.

Oregon

tWtjHEF.png

The Ducks get a new look based on the contours of their famous "O" logo. Although their mix-and-match schtick remains intact, I've pared it down to just their school colors, which always look amazing. No black, no anthracite, no volt, no silver... just green and gold, as it should be.

Cal

oo0y2xO.png

First and foremost, Cal's teams are known as the Golden Bears. I have no idea why the focus of their athletic identity has always been on various shades of blue, but I've rectified that as much as possible. No mix-and-match here as far as the regular uniforms are concerned - the white pants would always be worn with the gold jerseys, and the gold pants would always be worn with the white jerseys. The regular home and road are based on their Jahvid Best-era look, which was my favorite set of uniforms they've worn. I also gave them a Joe Roth-era inspired fauxback with the Sather Stripe integrated into the striping pattern.

Oregon State

3dHST75.png

The Beavers get a simple striping pattern based on the custom tartan that Nike designed for them. As it turns out, both Chapeeko and mattwillcox have used a similar idea for Oregon State in their concepts, but I've done it a little differently here.

xLmjWVv.png

PAC-12 South

USC

t28Hx46.png

USC's classic look gets only a few tweaks. The most major change is with the helmets - I don't like the cartoonish trojan logo they currently use and I'm certainly not a fan of their grey facemasks, so I changed both. The road jerseys get gold outlines on the numbers, and USC also gets an alternate gold-over-cardinal combo for special occasions. Finally, the pants stripes are slightly adjusted to match their basketball team's uniforms.

Arizona State

6vPRBh0.png

Not much changes to their current look other than the addition of pants stripes to match the sleeve stripes.

Arizona

fZQnBgJ.png

I may be alone in thinking this, but Arizona's current uniforms are not bad at all. However, I do think they're a couple tweaks away from perfection. I added outlines to the numbers and NOBs for the sake of readability, reintegrated white into the striping pattern, and added matching stripes to the helmets and pants. I also extended the stripes further out on the front, which serves as a subtle nod to the Arizona state flag.

UCLA

B2qD9VT.png

Not much changes with the Bruins' classic look. The UCLA font makes its long-awaited return, and the grey facemasks are replaced with blue ones. I also gave them a BFBS "LA Nights" alternate for special occasions that - unlike the crap Adidas would have them wear - does not stray too far from tradition.

Utah

PKCh4GS.png

For the Utes, I tried to mix their new "Utah stripe" with their old mountain-pattern identity. I also made the striping more consistent across all parts of the uniforms.

Colorado

nLRozBy.png

I tried a bunch of horn-themed designs but couldn't really come up with something I liked. So I decided to just give the Buffs a modern-classic striping pattern that emphasizes their true school colors - silver and gold - as much as possible without being illegible. I also ditched the italics on their font.

xLmjWVv.png

• 1 month later...

B1G East

Ohio State

mFsijun.png

The Buckeyes' regular look gets some striping consistency. As an alternate look, they get a throwback to the Eddie George era, complete with the giant numbers. They also switch from Nike to the LeBron brand, much like Michigan switched to Jordan Brand.

Michigan State

4PtFqPL.png

Not much changes with the Spartans' look other than an updated logo and some striping inspired by the basketball team's uniforms.

Penn State

D9OuHUn.png

Penn State gets a few minor changes to their normal home and road look. First and foremost, the contrasting collar and sleeve trim returns. I've always thought ditching those elements was a poor decision - it turned what used to be a classy look into glorified practice gear. The number font changes to match their fauxbacks from this season and their new wordmark. Most notably, the Lion Ambassadors' logo (which also used to be their primary athletic logo) appears on the collars. I think it looks better than the logo they use now. Finally, the Nittany Lions get a fauxback to their old pink and black color scheme.

Michigan

tudzgtU.png

Michigan gets wing-inspired collars on the jerseys and some blue pants to go with the maize alternate. Otherwise, not much changes for them.

Rutgers

85U5U8n.png

I liked their final Nike-era uniform set, so I tried to translate it as faithfully as possible to an Adidas template. I also put their knight logo on the helmet since it looks so much better (IMO) than a generic block R.

Indiana

48TRCXT.png

Indiana's regular home and roads are inspired by their classic basketball uniforms. Their alternates are inspired by the basketball team's iconic "candy-striped" warmup pants.

Maryland

BDRmzjD.png

The terps love their Maryland flag-inspired designs, so I didn't stray too far from that. Just tried to clean up their uniforms a bit so they don't look so over the top.

xLmjWVv.png

Archived