San Diego Seals (NLL)

Viper

One of the NLL's new expansion teams for the 2018-19 season has revealed their identity today, including a repurposed nickname from a different sport within the same state.

SDSeals.thumb.png.544758c9374b064e2c884b8235726a8f.png

My first reaction to the logo: An interesting concept (a seal wearing an anchor-shaped crown) but poorly executed (with a black head on a black hexagonal shield, it looks as much like a domestic cat as a seal).

CCSLC signature.png

1 hour ago, Ray Lankford said:

The crown is supposed to be a reference to the Navy SEALs, whose logo has a trident.

All this does is reaffirm my assumption that all billionaires have a weird fascination with the military.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

3 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

All this does is reaffirm my assumption that all billionaires have a weird fascination with the military.

San Diego's a big Navy town, so that probably has a lot to do with the name choice here.

CCSLC signature.png

It's like they blended as many California themes as possible.

1.  Seals, like the old NHL and minor league teams.

2.  Crown, sort of like the Los Angeles Kings.

3.  Purple and black color scheme, like the Los Angeles Kings and Sacramento Kings.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Yeah, my first thought was "very Kings-esk".

But the more I look at it, the more I like it. I think I just really like the colour scheme and the font used more than anything. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, walkerws said:

They should’ve just run with the full body seal. The SD is ok. 

Yeah, I prefer that logo as well, I think it would look better on the front of the jersey. 

The logo they currently are using as a primary seems better suited as a shoulder patch I think.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

On 10/25/2017 at 5:22 AM, Viper said:

San Diego's a big Navy town, so that probably has a lot to do with the name choice here.

Pretty much a definite on that one. The name is fine, as is the trident. The issue I have with the logo is the fact the seal looks nothing like a seal. 

21 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

The only thing that bothers me is the color palette.  Very dark for a sea themed team.

Well the ocean is dark and muted, so it's actually a pretty cognizant choice in that regard. 

On 11/7/2017 at 1:05 PM, ren69 said:

There was a Seattle Sea Lions NHL concept on here a few years back that I remember being remarkably similar to that full-bodied seal. Use of the trident/crown as well. 

I think this is a decent identity overall.

sig.png

Archived