Las Vegas Lights FC (USL) unveil logo

Louis

A newly created USL franchise has been announced and they want people to design a logo for them.

http://www.lasvegaslightsfc.com/logo

Fans submitted thousands of team names and voted LAS VEGAS LIGHTS FC as the winner.

Now, help provide the artistic inspiration for the new LAS VEGAS LIGHTS logo. Give us your creative rendering of what best symbolizes LAS VEGAS LIGHTS.

Shields, Badges, Wordmarks, Fonts, Symbols, Colors. You provide the rough draft rendering and we'll refine it as our official logo.

I imagine most here will not be happy with this.

Great. Yet another spectacle where there will be tons of logos submitted, and at the end of it all the worst possible option will be selected.

I don't know about you, but I'm going to go grab a bag of popcorn and sit this one out.

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

"Winners never quit, and quitters never win." ~Vince Lombardi

4 hours ago, ZionEagle said:

Great. Yet another spectacle where there will be tons of logos submitted, and at the end of it all the worst possible option will be selected.

I don't know about you, but I'm going to go grab a bag of popcorn and sit this one out.

Hahaha! True, BUT I'd love to see what the talented individuals on this forum can do with it.  They kinda have a start of concept with their stylized "sparkle A" wordmark. 

They're trying to dress up spec work as "not really spec work, since we're only asking for people to come up with a rough draft. Then we'll go pay someone else to polish your work, and they get all the credit."

It doesn't even look like the "winning" submission even gets any sort of prize. They get the benefit of a concept they like, free of charge. They then can negotiate a smaller fee with the final designer, since they're bringing them a half-finished product.

Seriously, for those of you who struggle to find work in this field, this is why. 

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

• 1 month later...

Just released this morning, the logo for Las Vegas' USL team:

USL-Las_Vegas_Lights_Web_Cover_large.jpg

LAS VEGAS – Incorporating elements inspired by hundreds of fan submissions, Las Vegas Lights FC unveiled its official club logo on Monday morning as the club continued to build toward its inaugural season in the USL in 2018.

“First and foremost, we wanted our fans and supporters in Las Vegas to lead the process of developing our official logo, and we couldn’t be more pleased with the result,” said Brett Lashbrook, team owner and CEO of Lights FC. “The logo plays into the look and feel of Las Vegas, most notably Fremont Street, right down the road from our home at Cashman Field.

“We wanted to unveil this logo alongside an official announcement of our season ticket pricing. With the inclusion of a Lights FC jersey for each inaugural full season ticket holder, plus other benefits, we’re offering a very appealing and engaging professional sports entertainment value to Las Vegas.”

The logo incorporates the club’s three official colors – blue, yellow and pink – which are all taken from the official City of Las Vegas logo. Adding a neon element was a natural fit, as Lights FC will play all of its home games just steps from the famous Neon Museum and a few blocks from Fremont Street. The logo’s crest design shape mimics the famous “Welcome to Las Vegas” sign – rotated 90 degrees. The logo is accented with another Las Vegas signature, with the pink star at the bottom of the logo.

“We are one of the first professional sports teams in the world to fully embrace pink as one of our official team colors, but I think this just shows the type of swagger and edge that we collectively carry as a city, and our team will carry that onto the pitch every match,” Lashbrook said. “It shows that we are going to fully embrace doing things differently while also providing an authentic, exciting soccer experience to everyone who comes and watches a match at Cashman Field.”

Source: http://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/850267?referrer_id=2333971

sport-scarf_dortmund_zps9338859f.png

The new USL soccer team unveiled its logo.

9524095_web1_lvlfc_logo_01.jpg

Not bad.

Las Vegas Lights FC owner Brett Lashbrook learned from his hometown MLS team, Sporting Kansas City, that even the tiniest details in a soccer logo can resonate with a fan base.

Sporting Kansas City’s crest bears a small diagonal line that’s easily overlooked, but locals recognize it as the Missouri -Kansas border. And Lashbrook strived for that same attention to detail when working on a logo for his United Soccer League team, which was released Monday.

“When you’re from Kansas City, you immediately see that and you say ‘that’s cool,’

“Lashbrook said. “It is easier said than done. How do you create a logo for the local community?”

The Lights’ crest is his team’s best attempt, formed with the help of more than 400 fan submissions.

It was through fans that the crest found its shape — the outline of the famed “Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas” sign turned 90 degrees. The idea to spell things out in neon tubing also came from fan ideas, modeled partially after the lettering used by local music festival Life is Beautiful.

The colors came from submissions, too. The Lights first put out a placeholder logo in which they didn’t intend the colors blue, yellow and pink to be official. But the colors became official after many fans submitted those colors, which come from the city of Las Vegas logo.

“They’re brighter colors,” Lashbrook said, noting that many of the other pro sports teams in town use darker shades. “The ability to have a different shade or brightness I thought was good.”

Lashbrook, who helped Orlando City SC get on its feet in the MLS, thinks he can use the team’s unique colors to stand out much like his previous team did in a new soccer market.

“The thing that stuck with me from my time in Orlando was having a different color. In Orlando, we used to own the color purple,” Lashbrook said. “There’s only so many cities where you can get away with the color pink.”

The color pink is featured on the crest in the star at the bottom, which is based off the stars seen in the city of Las Vegas logo.

The “FC” is featured in big letters above the star, as a nod to the name that finished runner-up to Las Vegas Lights FC. Fans voted more than 10,000 times to select the team’s name and the more traditional Las Vegas FC came in a close second, so those three words were featured prominently in the logo.

“I think I am really proud that the club is representing the traditional soccer shield, but we’re putting our own Vegas twist on it,” Lashbrook said. “We’re Vegas-ifying the sport. This is Las Vegas, and I think this sign embraces and reflects the community.”

Here's a closer look at the elements:

9524095_web1_lvlights_logodesigncriteria

And the design geek in me appreciates that they're probably the first club anywhere to use CMYK as their color scheme.

240px-CMYK.png

I would like to see the flat version, without the gradients.  The Memphis Redbirds pull off a pretty good neon-sign logo without them:

redbirds-logo-board.jpg?quality=85&strip

It's all good, @Gothamite. I had submitted to the contest and had wanted to see the results of the contest. That was mainly why I made the thread. Here was my submission:

LVLFC.thumb.png.a2f5fa23837f1236a2e9a551c82637f6.png

Which admittedly, after seeing what they went with, looks a bit too retro and gaudy by comparison.

44 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Who would'be 

Who would've thought that adjective could ever have been applied to Las Vegas?  ;)

I guess with my design, I was focusing too heavily on the "Welcome to Las Vegas" sign itself and not what can be done with its shape.

As far as the actual team logo is concerned, it is pretty good. The CMYK color scheme is a bonus.

I actually dig the crest minus the gradients, it's simple but effective. The name is very amateur-ish though. Overall, better than I thought for a fan-designed logo contest. 

10 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I would like to see the flat version, without the gradients.  The Memphis Redbirds pull off a pretty good neon-sign logo without them:

I am also glad that I wasn't the only one to immediately think of the Redbirds when I saw this. Their identity represents a better execution of the same idea I think, but I do have to say I like both. 

spacer.png

Archived