neo_prankster

Driveball: The World's Most Exciting Game (Proposed Rule Changes)

7 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Good idea.

Would 1960 be a good year to bring Driveball to California? Whenever I would do dream leagues before I joined these boards, I had a rule that I wouldn't have a team over there or in Texas or the Deep South till at least that year or later.

Yes, I think '60 would be an okay year to expand over there. Drive ball just gives me an east coast sport feel, maybe like lacrosse. It is much more popular east than out west. 

11 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Good idea.

Would 1960 be a good year to bring Driveball to California? Whenever I would do dream leagues before I joined these boards, I had a rule that I wouldn't have a team over there or in Texas or the Deep South till at least that year or later.

I think it depends on the spacing between games as well. The Rams had moved to LA in 1946. San Francisco joined the NFL 1950. So if teams have a week between games, the west coast is possible now, but the size of the driveball league suggest that they either need to do a large expansion like the 6 team expansion the NHL did in '66 or stick close to their current boundaries.

Here are some different helmet ideas...

DNpaT1vUMAAqGqn.jpg:large

DNpacdrVAAEKU6S.jpg:large

DNpakigVoAETwaB.jpg:large

I like the bottom right one on the 3rd picture the most. A hybrid lacrosse/hockey helmet seems like it would work.

2nd picture and second from the left seems like it could be almost an early prototype for the league after they transition from leather helmets.

Not a fan of the retro goalie mask though (3rd picture on the left). I find the other ones you have presented would better fit, plus would be better for designs. 

Looking at it from a branding perspective, something that the team logo/branding can be applied to should be a large part of the design.

Sun Belt expansion should be delayed until the 60s, though I could see Driveball being popular in Texas/OK/and the gulf states similar to American Football. In terms of expansion cities the east coast needs more support so Boston and either Baltimore (who I would see relocating out west) or Pittsburgh. Unless you want to go the crazy route and put a team in NC right away. Also any news of international play? or another Canadian team to join Toronto? 

The bottom right helmet on the 3rd image is the best looking in terms of uniqueness plus design. But the first image would be the best for designs, also are you going to include different colored facemarks like in football? other sports don't seem to include it, except older lacrosse designs and some current ones. But hockey and baseball/softball (yes the controversy there with facemarks) don't use different colors. Because that factor could play a big part. My suggestion is just go without the basic leather until the mid-60s until the popularity grows and safety needs are more important.. though rugby and Aussie rules don't use helmets. Maybe change them with every New Jersey sponsor?

13 minutes ago, CodeG said:

Sun Belt expansion should be delayed until the 60s, though I could see Driveball being popular in Texas/OK/and the gulf states similar to American Football. In terms of expansion cities the east coast needs more support so Boston and either Baltimore (who I would see relocating out west) or Pittsburgh. Unless you want to go the crazy route and put a team in NC right away. Also any news of international play? or another Canadian team to join Toronto? 

The bottom right helmet on the 3rd image is the best looking in terms of uniqueness plus design. But the first image would be the best for designs, also are you going to include different colored facemarks like in football? other sports don't seem to include it, except older lacrosse designs and some current ones. But hockey and baseball/softball (yes the controversy there with facemarks) don't use different colors. Because that factor could play a big part. My suggestion is just go without the basic leather until the mid-60s until the popularity grows and safety needs are more important.. though rugby and Aussie rules don't use helmets. Maybe change them with every New Jersey sponsor?

Beantown will get an NDA team for sure. I have also received suggestions for a PCL-type league of sorts for out west that could merge in to one entity down the road. As far as Canada goes, I do want to expand further up there eventually, with Vancouver likely to be a charter member of the west coast league.

As far as international play, I'm thinking of Latin America, Oceania, Japan, and Europe with some faux backs of the WLAF/NFLE squads depending on what year we get there.

Also, I'm thinking of staging a chance meeting between Cubby and Jim Foster around the early 80's on a possible indoor league.

Getting back to the headgear, what I'm trying to find is the right balance of function, ventilation and branding space.

November 2, 1951...

Owner Michael Moriarty unveils the uniforms for the newly renamed Philadelphia Brawlers...

DNqVw2JVAAAA-Yo.jpg:large

The logo, as you may have surmised, is a pair of boxing gloves hanging from a keystone.

C&C Welcome.

Im liking me that Brawlers logo, I can hear fans talking about Rocky and Driveball in the near future. The implication of the numbers inside of the Keystone logo is mighty fabulous, though the shoulder stripes make me puke, it fits the design and I can't wait to see how these evolve, maybe a striping pattern similar to railroad tracks? due to Pennsylvania's notable railroad industry of the olden days. Call me the Brawlers first fan, though ill still be partial to most teams

This is great!  I love the bold designs and color choices, even if as has been stated, they are a bit anachronistic with the actual eras they are supposed to be from.  But they are sharp, and the story is fun too.  Keep it coming!

1952 Season

The Philadelphia Brawlers made good on their promise to become a tougher defensive team, with an enforcer tandem of nickelback Chuck Weaver, and dimeback Guido Russo. While many of the Brawlers' opponents left Franklin Field with bloody noses, arch rival Washington held on to first place in the East. Out west, injuries impacted the defending champion Gaels' attack, and Bob Shields and friends were forced to settle for third behind the Blue Oxen. Off the field, Cubby Dempsey accepted ABC's sweet TV deal, a very, very sweet one for a time when TV had yet to really catch on. $2,300 was promised to each club by the network starting with the 1954 campaign. The Toronto Titans and St Louis Explorers both finished with 2-8 records, and a coin toss will determine who will pick first in the upcoming draft. In the days before College Driveball, the NDA drew from men unable to crack starting lineups in other sports. For the first time, divisional playoffs were held, with the Pumas and Brawlers clinching wild card spots in their respective divisions.

Eastern Division

Washington Commanders 9-1

Philadelphia Brawlers 6-4

New York Heroes 3-7

Toronto Titans 2-8

Western Division

Minnesota Blue Oxen 8-2

Detroit Pumas 6-4

Chicago Gaels 4-6

St Louis Explorers 2-8

West Playoff

Minnesota Blue Oxen def Detroit Pumas

East Playoff

Philadelphia Brawlers def Washington Commanders

Championship Game (Frosty Mug II)

July 13, 1952 (at Memorial Stadium in Minneapolis)

Philadelphia Brawlers 44, Minnesota Blue Oxen 26

MVP: Jimmy Pendelton (FW, Brawlers)

A little more backstory for the playoffs and the Frosty Mug games would be good, lets us get the feeling of the game itself.

12 minutes ago, Darknes said:

A little more backstory for the playoffs and the Frosty Mug games would be good, lets us get the feeling of the game itself.

I'll keep that in mind for next season. ;)

Up next will be the unveiling of the ninth and tenth NDA franchises, along with news of the goings on out west.

Boston has been granted the ninth franchise, to be owned by Orville Buchanan.

The tenth franchise has yet to be granted. The list is down to...

- Milwaukee: Ownership group led by Larry Ward, a stockholder for Harley-Davidson. The city is in the process of building County Stadium to lure either the MLB Browns or Braves.

- Cincinnati: Ownership group led by Randolph Mullins. Negotiations on going with Nippert Field and Crosley Field as potential homes.

- Cleveland: Ownership group led by Joel McGuire. Cleveland Municipal Stadium home to the MLB Indians and NFL Browns.

- Pittsburgh: Ownership group led by David Freedman. Pitt Stadium or Forbes Field likely to be used.

- Buffalo: Ownership group led by Milton Jackson. War Memorial Stadium currently home to minor league baseball.

Go... Uhhh Chicago, Sure, hopefully cincy gets the last vote, they will dominate and give the city an actual team to be proud of:D

Pittsburgh is the option that looks best to me

How about if I did the expansion in two phases?

Phase 1 (2 teams in 1954): Slot 1: Boston, Slot 2: Open

Phase 2 (2 teams in 1955): Slot 3: Open, Slot 4, Open

Expansion bids: Baltimore (Barons, Blue Crabs), Buffalo (Beasts, Nickels), Cincinnati, Cleveland (Commodores), Milwaukee (Pike, Muskies), Pittsburgh (Vulcans, Maulers, Iron Men)

As for the question about the west coast:

Spoiler

The Pacific Coast Driveball League will commence play in 1954. It will consist of eight teams from California to British Columbia.

Here is a rough alignment...

North:
Portland (Kodiaks, Kraken, Cascades, Privateers, Lumberjacks, Chinooks, Loggers)

Sacramento (Gold Miners, Nuggets, Redwoods, Condors, Stompers)

Seattle (Kodiaks, Emeralds, Pilots, Mariners, Kraken, Cascades, Aviators, Flyers, Orcas, Wolfpack, Steelheads)

Vancouver (Kodiaks, Mounties, Orcas, Breakers, Wolfpack)

South:

Los Angeles (Guardians, Dons, Sharks, Hollywood Moguls)

San Diego (Admirals, Waves)

Oakland (Squirrels, Condors, Sharks)

San Francisco (Grizzlies, Clippers)

Oakland Squirrels!

50 minutes ago, Dan O'Mac said:

Oakland Squirrels!

Glad you like that one. :lol:

Here's a prototype for a league logo. May not be much, but it can be tweaked if necessary...

DNuyOrtUMAArnxw.jpg:large

Woah, lots of information. Two phase expansion sounds like a good idea, just try not to overcrowd the league too much too fast. 

As for my choices,

1 Boston (still have to include it)

2 Baltimore Blue Crabs

3 Pittsburgh Iron Men

4 Milwaukee Pike

as for my team name choices for the Pacific Driveball thing

Portland, Kodiaks sound really good but I don't believe Kodiak bears reside in Oregon. Loggers and Lumberjacks are really cliche, id like to see what you could do with Chinooks, maybe a bright green and sky blue color.

Sacramento, Gold Minors have always been a personal favorite name for Sac but I think its too close to 49ers for this sport, so Condors or Golden Bears (both state animals) would work better. 

Seattle, Emeralds or Thunderbirds with a Native American theme.

Vancouver, Kodiaks would work for BC but it doesn't roll off the tongue, Mounties would work great until the Mounties decide to block the name like I believe they did in real life. 

LA, none of those names tbh, if you wanted to go down a Hollywood route, I think something along the lines of Hollywood Stars would work best, though Stars were a team in the PCL in real life which was a extremely popular baseball league in the 50s.. before Giants and Dodgers moved west.

San Diego, Sharks with a naval theme, like the shark designs on planes during war times, i believe I've seen it on boats as well, plus San Diego is known for its beaches.

Oakland Squirrels, thats all I'm going to say, I really want to see this team compete.

San Francisco, maybe something along the lines of Dragons or Knights, I always thought it would be a cool theme for a San Fran team

I could also see cities like Anaheim, Tacoma, Edmonton/Calgary, Salt Lake, maybe Vegas and Phoenix having teams in this league before it folds/merge. because I doubt every team will merge, most likely only 4-6 but the other teams could either be referenced or maybe when other expansions to those cities take place either revive the teams or have throwbacks to them, as a lot of Pacific MLB teams do 

2 hours ago, CodeG said:

Woah, lots of information. Two phase expansion sounds like a good idea, just try not to overcrowd the league too much too fast. 

As for my choices,

1 Boston (still have to include it)

2 Baltimore Blue Crabs

3 Pittsburgh Iron Men

4 Milwaukee Pike

as for my team name choices for the Pacific Driveball thing

Portland, Kodiaks sound really good but I don't believe Kodiak bears reside in Oregon. Loggers and Lumberjacks are really cliche, id like to see what you could do with Chinooks, maybe a bright green and sky blue color.

Sacramento, Gold Minors have always been a personal favorite name for Sac but I think its too close to 49ers for this sport, so Condors or Golden Bears (both state animals) would work better. 

Seattle, Emeralds or Thunderbirds with a Native American theme.

Vancouver, Kodiaks would work for BC but it doesn't roll off the tongue, Mounties would work great until the Mounties decide to block the name like I believe they did in real life. 

LA, none of those names tbh, if you wanted to go down a Hollywood route, I think something along the lines of Hollywood Stars would work best, though Stars were a team in the PCL in real life which was a extremely popular baseball league in the 50s.. before Giants and Dodgers moved west.

San Diego, Sharks with a naval theme, like the shark designs on planes during war times, i believe I've seen it on boats as well, plus San Diego is known for its beaches.

Oakland Squirrels, thats all I'm going to say, I really want to see this team compete.

San Francisco, maybe something along the lines of Dragons or Knights, I always thought it would be a cool theme for a San Fran team

I could also see cities like Anaheim, Tacoma, Edmonton/Calgary, Salt Lake, maybe Vegas and Phoenix having teams in this league before it folds/merge. because I doubt every team will merge, most likely only 4-6 but the other teams could either be referenced or maybe when other expansions to those cities take place either revive the teams or have throwbacks to them, as a lot of Pacific MLB teams do 

How about if phase one goes on as scheduled in 1954 and the second phase takes place in about...1960?

I'm thinking of having the PCL merge with MLB unless there are some suggestions for a better scenario.

I'll wait for other users to respond before picking names for the Pacific teams.