neo_prankster

Driveball: The World's Most Exciting Game (Pumas for sale)

Damn, I was rooting for Oakland in the PCDL but they look like the joke of the young league, with that record.

1 hour ago, FlyEaglesFly76 said:

Damn, I was rooting for Oakland in the PCDL but they look like the joke of the young league, with that record.

Well, in all fairness, it was only their first year, and the sport at large is still going through some growing pains. ;)

1954 Playoffs

NDA

Eastern Division Championship (at Franklin Field)

New York Heroes 37

Philadelphia Brawlers 25

Broken noses and blood were the order of the day in Philly. For New York, team captain Hank Frizzell would serve as the bodyguard to English rookie left wing Claude Gregory, who had been hacked and slashed by the Brawler backfield all afternoon. The last straw came in the last 5 minutes of the game when Gregory took a forearm to the face from Philly fullback Elmer Clifton and had to leave the game with a separated jaw. It took the entire officiating crew to restrain an irate Frizzell who chased after Clifton who had been tossed for the cheap shot. Clifton would be suspended for the first two weeks of the 1955 season and Frizzell was fined $400 for cussing out the refs. With Clifton sent to the showers, the Heroes attackers stepped up to give their squad a well deserved road win.

Western Division Championship (at Sportsman's Park)

Chicago Gaels 43

St Louis Explorers 37

Bob Shields and the Chicago Gaels traveled to St Louis to battle the Explorers for the Western crown. Though St Louis enjoyed a comfortable home field advantage in the regular season, over 6,000 Gael fans made the trip to St Louis for this pivotal game. The Explorers drew first blood with an over by forward Mitch Hopper in the first six minutes. From that point on, Chicago took charge, with Shields assisting strikers Kelly Lucas and Dick Duvall to give the Gaels some breathing room midway through the second half. In the final minutes, the Explorers refused to quit, but one last attempt at a six point goal to tie the game was saved by Gaels rookie goalie Tito Lopez, sending Chicago to a second Frosty Mug.

Frosty Mug IV (at the Polo Grounds)

New York Heroes 45

Chicago Gaels 52

For the very first time, the Frosty Mug was played in the biggest media market in the country. For his conduct the previous week, Hank Frizzell was benched for the first twenty minutes of the first half. At halftime, the Heroes took a comfortable 17-13 lead, but it would soon crumble once the ball was inbounded for the second half. With Claude Gregory out, the Gaels were able to cut through the Heroes midfield like butter to give Chicago 38 unanswered points. The Heroes hung on as much as they could, but came up empty in their last three trips to the Gaels' defensive zone, and the Gaels would take their second sip from the Mug.

PCDL

Semifinals

Los Angeles Jaguars 26

Sacramento Condors 34

At Hughes Stadium, Red Vander Wal and the hometown Condors sent the Jags packing after trailing by 12 in the first half, setting up Sacramento to host the championship game no matter who wins or loses between Portland and San Diego.

San Diego Dreadnoughts 39

Portland Chinooks 29

Denny Tuttle and the Dreadnoughts had this game in a take out box at half time, but not before Jimmy Pendelton of Portland was ejected for punching Dreadnoughts striker Lester Easley on the right side of his face in the closing seconds of the first half.

Kingsley Cup

The first Kingsley Cup was played at Hughes Stadium in Sacramento, the trophy of which was donated by Ravens founder RC Kingsley, hence the name. San Diego hoped to spoil the party, but in the end, would suffer their most embarrassing defeat all year. Rex Yates, who filled in for the injured Lester Easley, thought he had scored a six point goal to tie the game in the last two minutes, but the officials determined Yates had stepped in to the goal crease, thus the goal was waived off. The Condors would take the Kingsley Cup with a controversial 33-27 victory.

Changes for 1955:

- The wings painted on the Condors' helmets for the Kingsley Cup game will be used full time next season.

- Both the NDA and PCDL will switch to hard plastic suspension helmets issued by Riddell and other manufacturers. In addition, because of facial injuries, both leagues will consider mandating some form of facial protection.

1954-55 Offseason...

At league headquarters in downtown Los Angeles, the PCDL unveiled its new logo...

DOOQR3wUIAADL9_.jpg:large

Commissioner Frankie Lawrence told KTLA-TV that with television becoming more affordable, the league would need a brand worthy of gracing the small screens up and down the west coast. KTLA televised the Jaguars' home games this past season with just a quarter of the viewership of Rams road game telecasts carried by KNBC.

Outside of Driveball...

In baseball, after the Braves vacate Boston for Milwaukee and the St Louis Browns transform in to the Baltimore Orioles the last couple baseball seasons, the future of the Philadelphia Athletics hangs in the balance.

NOOO Brawlers loss in the playoffs! 

Nice logo for PCDL, I think it fits the time period. Getting ahead of myself here, but will there be a merger of the Driveball leagues in the future?

Driveball champs so far...

NDA Frosty Mug champs...

I (1951): Chicago Gaels

II (1952): Philadelphia Brawlers

III (1953): Washington Commanders
IV (1954): Chicago Gaels

PCDL Kingsley Cup champs...

1954: Sacramento Condors

Here are the championship trophies for both leagues...

DOPUA9QVwAAunYj.jpg

The appearance of each trophy is subject to change, kinda like how the Stanley Cup has evolved over the years.

I love that Philadelphia's team plays at Franklin Field. Such a cool stadium. Really historical and important to the city. Hope they keep playing there for as long as they can. 

14 minutes ago, Cardsblues02 said:

I love that Philadelphia's team plays at Franklin Field. Such a cool stadium. Really historical and important to the city. Hope they keep playing there for as long as they can. 

You're in luck, cause I'm thinking of having the Brawlers stay at Franklin instead of fighting with the Eagles and Phillies (or Atheltics) for dates at the Vet years from now.

This has been an amazing series so far. I have been loving all of these hand drawn uniforms. They are all amazing. I don't know if this has been answered yet, but how do you generate the scores for each of the games?

6 minutes ago, willmoen said:

This has been an amazing series so far. I have been loving all of these hand drawn uniforms. They are all amazing. I don't know if this has been answered yet, but how do you generate the scores for each of the games?

I use the tournament draw tool from Random Result to determine the winners and then I make up the scores in my head.

Glad you like the series so far. Do you have a particular team that you like? Any teams you feel could use a rebrand?

26 minutes ago, willmoen said:

This has been an amazing series so far. I have been loving all of these hand drawn uniforms. They are all amazing. 

I totally second this, one of my favorite series on the forums right now.

Favorite teams? Love alot of the designs, not incredibly satisfied with the name unicorns for boston because it seems a little gimmicky, but im sure you can change my mind. But my favortie teams are probably Chicago and Los Angeles.

34 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

I use the tournament draw tool from Random Result to determine the winners and then I make up the scores in my head.

Glad you like the series so far. Do you have a particular team that you like? Any teams you feel could use a rebrand?

Design wise, I love Washington in the NDA and Sacramento in the PCDL. In general I'm rooting for Milwaukee. As of right now, I don't think that any team is in need of a rebrand. All of the designs look pretty well suited for that era.

1955 Regular Season Results

NDA Standings

East

Philadelphia Brawlers 7-5

Toronto Titans 7-5

Washington Commanders 6-6

New York Heroes 6-6

Boston Unicorns 2-10

West

Chicago Gaels 8-4

Detroit Pumas 7-5

Milwaukee Muskies 6-6

St Louis Explorers 6-6

Minnesota Blue Oxen 4-8

With the Brawlers and Titans having each won five division games, a coin toss will determine home field advantage in the East Championship game. Could there be a Gaels-Brawlers Frosty Mug? Stay tuned for the playoffs.

PCDL Standings

North

Portland Chinooks 8-2

Vancouver Ravens 6-4

Seattle Thunderbirds 5-5

Sacramento Condors 2-8

South

Oakland Squirrels 5-5

San Francisco Dragons 5-5

San Diego Dreadnoughts 5-5

Los Angeles Jaguars 4-6

Jubilation in Sacramento was short lived in the 1954-55 offseason as captain Red Vander Wal turned his back on Condor Country to accept a higher salary offer from the struggling Detroit Pumas. This would send the Buzzards to the wine cellar, at least for this year. From that moment on, the war between the NDA and PCDL was on. The biggest improvements this year came from the Squirrels, Dragons, Ravens and T-Birds, each of whom were cellar dwellers a year ago. With the Squirrels, Dragons and Dreadnoughts finishing with identical records, and Oakland having the better division record, San Diego and San Francisco will play a tie-breaker game at Kezar Stadium to determine the fourth playoff seed.

Hoping for the Brawlers to win their second Frosty Mug, and the Squirrels to win the Kingsley!

Interesting to see the leagues getting into a rivalry. Can't wait to see what antics they get into against eachother.

1955 Playoffs

NDA

East Final at Franklin Field

Philadelphia Brawlers def Toronto Titans

West Final at Soldier Field

Chicago Gaels def Detroit Pumas

Frosty Mug V at Soldier Field

Philadelphia Brawlers 35

Chicago Gaels 25

MVP: Lorenzo Alessandri (Left Wing; Brawlers)

PCDL

South Tiebreaker at Kezar Stadium

San Diego Dreadnoughts def San Francisco Dragons

North Final at Multnomah Stadium

Vancouver Ravens def Portland Chinooks

South Final at UC Berkeley campus

Oakland Squirrels def San Diego Dreadnoughts

2nd Kingsley Cup at Empire Stadium

Oakland Squirrels 26

Vancouver Ravens 22

MVP: Buster Curtis (Striker; Squirrels)

1 hour ago, FlyEaglesFly76 said:

Hoping for the Brawlers to win their second Frosty Mug, and the Squirrels to win the Kingsley!

Looks like you got your wish.

1 minute ago, FlyEaglesFly76 said:

Nice! Philly gearing up for a dynasty?

They had won once before, they year that they changed the name from Colonials to Brawlers, so pretty much the dynasty has already begun, but they still have the Gaels to deal with.