neo_prankster

Driveball: The World's Most Exciting Game (Pumas for sale)

1956 Regular Season Results

NDA

EAST

Toronto Titans 9-3

Boston Unicorns 7-5

Washington Commanders 7-5

New York Heroes 6-6

Philadelphia Brawlers 3-9

WEST

Minnesota Blue Oxen 7-5

St Louis Explorers 6-6

Milwaukee Muskies 5-7

Chicago Gaels 5-7

Detroit Pumas 4-8

The Unicorns "acquired" Pip Higgins from the defending PCDL champion Squirrels to solidify their bench, and he would lead them to the first postseason game of their existence; a tiebreaker against the Commanders at Fenway Park. Defending champion Philly would endure injuries and suspensions and finish the year winning only 3 games.

PCDL

NORTH

Sacramento Condors 6-4

Seattle Thunderbirds 6-4

Vancouver Ravens 5-5

Portland Chinooks 4-6

SOUTH

San Francisco Dragons 7-3

Los Angeles Jaguars 5-5

Oakland Squirrels 5-5

San Diego Dreadnoughts 2-8

Injuries sunk the Dreadnoughts while the Chinooks were without Jimmy Pendleton much of the first half of the year as he was suspended for elbowing Ravens' striker Luc St Pierre in the mouth. The Condors rallied around the "Red Who?" cheer to climb back into playoff contention. While Oakland and Los Angeles finished with identical records, the Jags' four division wins over the Squirrels' two will set the stage for a tiebreaker game at the Rose Bowl.

Before I forget, I'd like to point out that 1956 was the first year of hard plastic helmets in both leagues.

Perry1b.jpg

As far as face protection goes, I kinda like this style Joe "The Jet" Perry wore for the 49ers. However, I do wonder if there was a way to do that style of mask with something more durable and a lot safer than lucite. Maybe the same kind of plastic for the helmet shells?

Or perhaps maybe one of these cow catcher masks will do...

ChicagoCARD%20(1).jpgcard3.jpg

1956 Playoffs

NDA

East Tiebreaker at Fenway Park

Washington Commanders def Boston Unicorns

East Final at CNE Stadium

Toronto Titans def Washington Commanders

West Final at Metropolitan Stadium

St Louis Explorers def Minnesota Blue Oxen

Frosty Mug VI at Griffith Stadium

St Louis Explorers 32

Washington Commanders 42

MVP: Steve Todd (Commanders)

PCDL

South Tiebreaker at the Rose Bowl

Oakland Squirrels def Los Angeles Jaguars

North Final at Hughes Stadium

Sacramento Condors def Seattle Thunderbirds

South Final at Kezar Stadium

Oakland Squirrels def San Francisco Dragons

3rd Kingsley Cup at Hughes Stadium

Oakland Squirrels 33

Sacramento Condors 37

MVP: Wally Maivia (Condors)

Arrgh! Injuries do that, to a team..

Congrats to the Commanders and Condors on championship victories! so many C's!

Any questions or comments before we get to the results for 1957?

Controversy at the draft!

On October 3, 1956, the Philadelphia Brawlers held the first overall pick in the NDA Draft, which was being held at a posh hotel in St Louis. That very same day, the PCDL held the first round of their draft, in which the San Diego Dreadnoughts held the first overall pick.

Since Driveball was not played on a collegiate level until the early 1960's, teams from both leagues had to select from guys unable to hang on to roster spots in the Big Four. Teams also selected from athletes coming over from Europe and Australia with backgrounds in rugby union, rugby league, Gaelic football, Aussie rules.

Coveted by both the Brawlers and Dreadnoughts was a 21 year old aspiring Aussie rules player who had been cut from VFL side Essendon who felt he was too short at 5'8". His name was Percy Gribble. What both driveball teams saw was a potential for blazing speed and an ability to trick opponents in to twisting themselves trying to stop him. Both wanted to make him a striker, but it would have to take a very bitter bidding war to lure him to either club.

Who will Gribble sign with?

Stay tuned.

This is a pretty interesting fictional sport you have going on here! The concepts themselves are also quite unique! Although I am curious about how you come up with the results for each season. 

Anyway, keep up the good work! And go New York Heroes and Oakland Squirrels!

Changes for 1957

Spoiler

Facemasks are now made mandatory by both leagues after a few players have donned them due to facial injuries the previous season. Helmets are currently built by Riddell, Wilson and Rawlings to name a few.

A selection of former Aussie rules footballers in Driveball

NDA

Red Vander Wal (Detroit Pumas)

Art Trelawney (Toronto Titans)

Harvey Dawson (Minnesota Blue Oxen)

Harvey Benjamin (St Louis Explorers)

Mitch Hopper (St Louis Explorers)

Gene Castle (Boston Unicorns)

PCFL

Percy Gribble (San Diego Dreadnoughts)

Lester Easley (San Diego Dreadnoughts)

Max Finks (Los Angeles Jaguars)

Larry Cranston (Vancouver Ravens)

Buster Curtis (Oakland Squirrels)

1960 Expansion

Spoiler

At NDA headquarters in New York, Cubby Dempsey confirmed that two teams, Cincinnati and Cleveland, will enter the NDA for 1960. Out west, at PCDL offices in Los Angeles, Frankie Lawrence announced the PCDL would also expand by two teams in 1960. Among the potential expansion markets for the PCDL are Denver, Salt Lake City, Calgary, Edmonton, Albuquerque and Phoenix.

1957 Regular Season Results

NDA

East

X - Philadelphia Brawlers 7-5

X - New York Heroes 7-5

Boston Unicorns 6-6

Washington Commanders 6-6

Toronto Titans 4-8

West

X - Chicago Gaels 8-4

X - Minnesota Blue Oxen 7-5

St Louis Explorers 6-6

Milwaukee Muskies 5-7

Detroit Pumas 4-8

Will we see a Gaels-Brawlers rematch in the Frosty Mug? Stay tuned for the playoffs.

PCDL

North

X - Portland Chinooks 7-3

X - Sacramento Condors 6-4

Vancouver Ravens 5-5

Seattle Thunderbirds 2-8

South

X - San Diego Dreadnoughts 7-3

X - San Francisco Dragons 7-3

Los Angeles Jaguars 5-5

Oakland Squirrels 1-9

With the troubled Jimmy Pendelton dismissed by the Chinooks, only to rejoin the Brawlers, Portland was a much more disciplined team by the time they clinched homefield advantage for the North Final. Wally Maivia, Driveball's first Polynesian player and MVP of last year's Kinglsey Cup, punched the Condors' postseason ticket with a nailbiting upset of the Chinooks in Week 8 at Hughes Stadium. Denny Tuttle and Lester Easley were both healthy for San Diego, and together with rookie striker Percy Gribble, the Dreadnoughts return to playoff contention, and will host the West final against the Dragons at Balboa Stadium.

8 hours ago, BengalSteve said:

This is a pretty interesting fictional sport you have going on here! The concepts themselves are also quite unique! Although I am curious about how you come up with the results for each season. 

Anyway, keep up the good work! And go New York Heroes and Oakland Squirrels!

I've been trying different random generators to determine the standings.

1957 Playoffs

NDA

East Final at Franklin Field

Philadelphia Brawlers def New York Heroes

West Final at Soldier Field

Minnesota Blue Oxen def Chicago Gaels

Frosty Mug VII at Franklin Field

Minnesota Blue Oxen 34

Philadelphia Brawlers 36

MVP: August Reeves (Brawlers)

The Blue Oxen made it to the Frosty Mug for the first time since 1953, led by second year center Herb Jensen. But once again, the Ox were turned away, as the Brawlers would take an unprecedented third (1952, '55, '57) sip from the Mug. Only one of the original 1951 Colonials has remained on the Brawlers this year, and that would be right wing Saul Levinson.

PCDL

North Final at Multnomah Stadium

Portland Chinooks def Sacramento Condors

South Final at Balboa Stadium

San Francisco Dragons def San Diego Dreadnoughts

4th Kingsley Cup at Multnomah Stadium

San Francisco Dragons 39

Portland Chinooks 33

MVP: Roger Huntley (Dragons)

The Dragons finally exorcised some demons in the form of Squirrels and Condors in Northern California, but that wouldn't mean much unless they brought the Kinglsey Cup to San Francisco, which they would do in heartbreaking fashion on the road in Portland. Roger Huntley would tack on the last three overs for his squad, for which he was named Kingsley Cup MVP.

1957-58 offseason...

MLB changes...

Walter O'Malley sells the Brooklyn Dodgers to a group committed to keeping the team on the east coast.

Horace Stoneham agrees in principle to move the New York (baseball) Giants to Minnesota. With the inevitability of the rivalry with the Dodgers fading away over time, the franchise could consider a rebrand.

Woo! My Brawlers bouncing right back!

Interesting to see the divergence in other sports.

15 minutes ago, Cardsblues02 said:

Dodgers staying in BKN? Interesting, hopefully Brooklyn gets a Driveball team someday.

You heard correctly.

Spoiler

- As I said before, the MLB Giants might change their name to the Twins since the Giants/Dodgers rivalry will pretty much be a thing of the past in this scenario.

- The Dodgers will likely get that dome in Atlantic Yards, the land for which O'Malley couldn't get from Robert Moses IRL. And maybe then the Heroes or a second NY franchise could rebuild Ebbets Field in to their own.

- Still haven't decided if I want to keep the A's or Phillies in Philadelphia.

- The PCL could merge with MLB, unless I end up getting the Continental League up and running.

- As of 1957 in this scenario, the NFL, NBA and NHL are very much the same, but they'll look slightly different once I catch up to the present. Lamar Hunt will still put the AFL together in 1960 and Gary Davidson will still form the ABA, WHA and WFL. Still not sure if I want David Dixon to partner with Hunt in the AFL, or with Davidson in the WFL.

- Also, depending on the time frame in which driveball leagues spring up overseas, I might recycle some of the old NFL Europe names for a European league, unless I can somehow get the WFL to be stable enough to expand over there. Other than Europe, Australia and New Zealand could share a driveball league, and another could spring up in Japan or Latin America.

13 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

You heard correctly.

Hide contents

- As I said before, the MLB Giants might change their name to the Twins since the Giants/Dodgers rivalry will pretty much be a thing of the past in this scenario.

- The Dodgers will likely get that dome in Atlantic Yards, the land for which O'Malley couldn't get from Robert Moses IRL. And maybe then the Heroes or a second NY franchise could rebuild Ebbets Field in to their own.

- Still haven't decided if I want to keep the A's or Phillies in Philadelphia.

- The PCL could merge with MLB, unless I end up getting the Continental League up and running.

- As of 1957 in this scenario, the NFL, NBA and NHL are very much the same, but they'll look slightly different once I catch up to the present. Lamar Hunt will still put the AFL together in 1960 and Gary Davidson will still form the ABA, WHA and WFL. Still not sure if I want David Dixon to partner with Hunt in the AFL, or with Davidson in the WFL.

- Also, depending on the time frame in which driveball leagues spring up overseas, I might recycle some of the old NFL Europe names for a European league, unless I can somehow get the WFL to be stable enough to expand over there. Other than Europe, Australia and New Zealand could share a driveball league, and another could spring up in Japan or Latin America.

I could see the PCL combining with the MLB but wasn’t a main reason the Continental League start because the main man (Something Shea I think) wanted the another team in New York? That never would happen because  in this universe the Dodgers don’t move and Minneapolis would be have the Giants. Minneapolis being another city that was set for CL expansion. I would think Driveball would have a League in Australia and New Zealand and probably Ireland and England in the future. Just my thoughts. Love what you’re doing here with this alternate universe thing. Gets the gears groovin’.

The other sports leagues as of 1957-58

MLB

AL

Baltimore Orioles

Boston Red Sox

Chicago White Sox

Cleveland Indians

Detroit Tigers

New York Yankees

Philadelphia Athletics

Washington Senators

NL

Brooklyn Dodgers

Chicago Cubs

Cincinnati Reds

Milwaukee Braves

Minnesota Giants/Twins

Philadelphia Phillies

Pittsburgh Pirates

St Louis Cardinals

NFL
East

Baltimore Colts

Cleveland Browns

New York Giants

Philadelphia Eagles

Pittsburgh Steelers

Washington Redskins

West

Chicago Bears

Chicago Cardinals

Detroit Lions

Green Bay Packers

Los Angeles Rams

San Francisco 49ers

NBA

East

Boston Celtics

New York Knicks

Philadelphia Warriors

Syracuse Nationals

West

Cincinnati Royals

Detroit Pistons

Minneapolis Lakers

St Louis Hawks

NHL
Boston Bruins
Chicago Blackhawks

Detroit Red Wings

Montreal Canadiens

New York Rangers

Toronto Maple Leafs

1958 Regular Season Results

NDA

East

X - New York Heroes 8-4

X - Toronto Titans 8-4

Y - Washington Commanders 7-5

Philadelphia Brawlers 5-7

Boston Unicorns 4-8

West

X - St Louis Explorers 7-5

X - Detroit Pumas 6-6

Milwaukee Muskies 5-7

Minnesota Blue Oxen 5-7

Chicago Gaels 5-7

PCDL

North

X - Seattle Thunderbirds 5-5

X - Vancouver Ravens 5-5

Portland Chinooks 4-6

Sacramento Condors 4-6

South

X - San Francisco Dragons 7-3

X - San Diego Dreadnoughts 6-4

Oakland Squirrels 5-5

Los Angeles Jaguars 4-6

X - Playoff Team

Y - Wild Card

1958 Playoffs

East Wild Card at CNE Stadium

Toronto Titans def Washington Commanders

East Final at Ebbets Field

New York Heroes def Toronto Titans

West Final at Sportsman's Park

Detroit Pumas def St Louis Explorers

Frosty Mug VIII at Ebbets Field

Detroit Pumas 37

New York Heroes 26

MVP: Red Vander Wal (Pumas)

After seven years of frustration and futility, the Detroit Pumas finally take their first sip from the Mug. The Pumas' investment in former Condor Red Vander Wal proved justified when he captained the club to their upset win over the Heroes.

PCDL Semifinals

At Balboa Stadium

San Diego Dreadnoughts def Vancouver Ravens

At Kezar Stadium

Seattle Thunderbirds def San Francisco Dragons

5th Kingsley Cup at Balboa Stadium

Seattle Thunderbirds 16

San Diego Dreadnoughts 13

MVP: Luke Allison (T-Birds)

Another team that had been an also-ran had finally reached the pinnacle of their respective league. The T-Birds fought a long, tough defensive battle with the Dreadnoughts beneath the California sun. With the T-Birds trailing 13-10 with three minutes left, center Lou Greco and striker Luke Allison were the dynamic duo behind the six point goal that gave the T-Birds the lead and eventually the Kingsley Cup.