neo_prankster

Driveball: The World's Most Exciting Game (Pumas for sale)

1958-59 Offseason

Team names revealed for the 1960 NDA expansion in to Ohio...

Cincinnati (Owner: Randolph Mullins; Venue: Nippert Stadium)

Spoiler

Monarchs

Cleveland (Owner: Joel McGuire; Venue: Cleveland Municipal Stadium)

Spoiler

Lakers

The PCDL announces the creation of an expansion committee for its two-team expansion for 1960. Here is a look at the different bids...

Calgary, Alberta

DW Kemp, age 34. Son of oil tycoon PQ Kemp. If selected, the Calgary franchise will play at McMahon Stadium.

Denver, Colorado

Arthur Richardson, age 57. Hedge fund guy with a seat on the Coors board of directors. If selected, the Denver franchise will share Bears Stadium with the Bears AAA baseball team and a proposed football franchise in either the NFL or a rival league.

Edmonton, Alberta

Xavier Hawkins, age 29. Youngest of 9 kids born to local oil tycoon Humbert Hawkins and Montreal-born hotel heiress Lorraine Swann. If selected, the franchise will play at Clarke Stadium, home to the Eskimos.

Phoenix, Arizona

Obadiah "Obie" Lumpkin, age 36. Owner of Lumpkin Ranch outside of Glendale. Inherited the Lumpkin family barbecue sauce fortune after his father's untimely passing 7 years ago. If selected, the team will play at the state of the art Sun Devil Stadium.

Regina, Saskatchewan

Jefferson McLean, age 32. Trust fund kid and heir to his family's wheat fortune. If selected the team shall play at Taylor Field, home of the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

Salt Lake City, Utah

Jacob Bishop, age 61. Ordained minister and founder of a Salt Lake-based fast food chain with stores west of the Rockies. If selected, the team shall play at Rice Stadium on the campus of the University of Utah.

9 minutes ago, CJ Miller said:

@neo_prankster With the sole exception of the goalpost setup, none of the images are showing up for me on Firefox Nightly on Windows 10; instead, I only see the filenames. :(

Field

Active teams

Titans

Gaels

Blue Oxen

Explorers

Pumas

Commanders

Heroes

Brawlers

Ravens

Squirrels

Condors

Dreadnoughts

Chinooks

T-Birds

Jaguars

Dragons

Unicorns

Muskies

League Logos

PCDL

NDA

Inactive

Colonials

Hope these links work.

4 minutes ago, Cardsblues02 said:

All links work here! Also, all teams look great. Keep it up. Can’t wait to see what you do with Cincy.

Do we vote on expansion?

Yes, I am opening up PCDL expansion for votes. The polls close on Friday night. Plenty of time?

As for Cincy...

Spoiler

I am tempted to do a faux-back of the WLAF/NFLE Monarchs, but I might save that for a London franchise when I get Driveball up an running in the British Isles. If I do a blue and red scheme for Cincy, I'm not sure what colors to pick for Cleveland.

Like the Ohio names!

Putting my votes in for Denver , amazing sports town with good naming potential..

and Calgary  Vancouver wants an in-Canada rival!

10 minutes ago, Darknes said:

Do the Monarchs for Cincy

Maybe do the Lakers in a Powder Blue and Purple color scheme?

My Votes are Denver and Phoenix

Good idea on Cleveland. That'll make them unique.

Any ideas for colors for Cincinnati?

1 hour ago, Darknes said:

Do the Monarchs for Cincy

Maybe do the Lakers in a Powder Blue and Purple color scheme?

My Votes are Denver and Phoenix

You're going to have to use the purple and light blue because before I even saw this post that's  the unique scheme I thought would work best as well! Also, I think Regina and Salt Lake would be unique.

1 hour ago, neo_prankster said:

Good idea on Cleveland. That'll make them unique.

Any ideas for colors for Cincinnati?

Something involving gold I think, they should be regal

My votes go to:

Denver and Calgary

Edited to include nickname suggestions:

Denver: try Denver Mounties or Denver Bighorns or Denver Mules

Calgary: try Calgary Drillers or Calgary Moose or Calgary Bisons

The Ohio team names are great, for Monarchs maybe purple (color of royalty)/Gold. While the Lakers have a power blue and red/orange color. 

My votes are for Calgary and Denver, maybe Denver Kings or Tyrants and use a T-rex style logo. For Calgary maybe something with a bear, like Grizzlies, Bears, Spirits, or another animal based in Alberta. 

with this expansion there will be 20 teams in both leagues by 1960. In MLB at the time there was only 16 (20 in 1961), NHL had 6, not sure about NBA, so I'm not sure if the leagues are moving too fast. So I don't see much more expansion soon, until the mid 70s with the sunbelt. Within those years there should be more relocation than what you currently have.

Of the current teams as of 1958, which do you guys think should stay in their current market, and which can easily move and their city regain a team later?

NDA

Blue Oxen (Stay or Go)

Brawlers (Stay or Go)

Commanders (Stay or Go)

Explorers (Stay or Go)

Gaels (Stay or Go)

Heroes (Stay or Go)

Muskies (Stay or Go)

Pumas (Stay or Go)

Titans (Stay or Go)

Unicorns (Stay or Go)

PCDL

Chinooks (Stay or Go)

Condors (Stay or Go)

Dragons (Stay or Go)

Dreadnoughts (Stay or Go)

Jaguars (Stay or Go)

Ravens (Stay or Go)

Squirrels (Stay or Go)

T-Birds (Stay or Go)

Most likely it would be the teams with multiple bad seasons which entails low attendance and a higher chance for relocation, I havent read the last 3 seasons so I don't know, plus generally the creator figures this on his own.

I am attached to the Oakland Squirrels, but overall, it's your story to tell. I mean, why would a successful team like the Condors or Brawlers move?

This just in...

After winning only 25 games and drawing fewer than 15,000 a year in five years, the Boston Unicorns announce they have requested permission from the NDA league office to relocate their franchise to another city for the 1960 season. The franchise made the playoffs once in 1956 and were bounced by the Washington Commanders in the wild card game.

Charter members Minnesota Blue Oxen and Detroit Pumas have faced apathetic support in recent years. The Pumas, who have won 40 games over eight seasons have been pushed further and further down the Detroit sports totem pole with the recent championship run by the NFL Lions and the NBA Pistons coming over from Fort Wayne. Attendance at Briggs Stadium for the Pumas' surprise championship season of 1958 was 24,000 for the entire season. In Minnesota, the Blue Oxen had made the NDA postsesaon thrice in 1952, '56 and '57, but with the MLB Giants moving in from New York and changing their name to the Twins, attendance for the Ox dropped 60% in 1958, a season in which the Ox won only 5 games and were tied for third in the West with the Milwaukee Muskies. Questions on whether the Pumas or Oxen would move have yet to be answered.

Among the cities in contention are Montreal, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Kansas City, Buffalo and Louisville.