2018 Winter Olympics Hockey Uniforms

LETSGOBLUEBEATMSU

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Chromatic said:

I'm aware of the historical context for Italy and Netherlands wearing their respective colours. For a different example, I could use Australia or New Zealand, both using colours on their sports uniforms not found on their flags. Black has been a part of Canadian sports teams for awhile.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_colours_of_Canada#Sport

Slovenia is wearing blue and green, yet their flag is red and blue. Either this is a tragedy of the highest calibre, or country's shouldn't have to religiously adhere to the colours on their flag.

There is zero problem with a country using colours not on their flags as part of their national identity and branding. If anything it allows countries to forge a stronger identity since so many uniforms will look generic if they're just copying the same boring flag colours nearly every nation uses. 

I actually like the fact that Australia and New Zealand wear different colours from blue and red. It adds some variety in global competition. It's interesting that you mentioned Slovenia, and I have some Slovenian heritage. I was told that the blue represented their precious coastline, and the green represented the trees of the Alps. I'm fine with teams wearing colours not on their flag, as long as they represent something. Black doesn't represent anything in Canada, at least In my opinion. It was added when BFBS was a trend in sports.

@noe38concepts (Instagram - Twitter)

spacer.png

Germany home white shirts are historic, because of the Weimar Republic times when German flag had black, white and red colors instead of todays gold.

And the historic away is green, the color derives from football federation logo which is white and green.

But in hockey the flag colors are definitely transparent. 

Better pictures of the new nike kits, anyone?

Would love to see the collection (home and away) for all participants. 

22 hours ago, jerseyjunk said:

Instead of black i think Canada should use  gray as their 3rd color.

It´s not as intrusive as black and makes the red and white stand out more 

Canada has used gray before, along with black, for the 1996 World Cup and 1998 Olympics.  I believe the black is needed for the pants and maybe helmet to break up what would be a very red uniform.  Whether it means anything or not, as mentioned already, black has pretty much become an official colour of Canadian sports.

8508336453de4f90.jpg

4952_1998_olympics_ke.0_standard_783.0.j

paul%20kariya.jpg

23 minutes ago, M4One said:

Canada has used gray before, along with black, for the 1996 World Cup and 1998 Olympics.  I believe the black is needed for the pants and maybe helmet to break up what would be a very red uniform.  Whether it means anything or not, as mentioned already, black has pretty much become an official colour of Canadian sports.

That  gray looks nice.

Canada should not have black on their jerseys.  Imagine Detroit  having black on their jerseys!  Would look awful, and everyone would scream bloody murder

1 hour ago, jerseyjunk said:

That  gray looks nice.

Canada should not have black on their jerseys.  Imagine Detroit  having black on their jerseys!  Would look awful, and everyone would scream bloody murder

The Red Wings have always only used red and white, so yes, it would look terrible.  Canada, on the other hand, have not only been red and white throughout the years.  They have used blue in the past so using another colour is not completely unheard of for Canada.  Black might not have any meaning, unlike blue did, but it does look good.  

20 hours ago, Chromatic said:

For a different example, I could use Australia or New Zealand, both using colours on their sports uniforms not found on their flags.

Australia uses blue, gold, and green. Blue and gold being the country's heraldic colours. Granted green is just there for aesthetics, but it doesn't seem as trendy as Canada adding black does.

As far as NZ using black? I honestly don't know why, but at least they committed to it. They didn't add black to their flag's colour scheme.

20 hours ago, Chromatic said:

Slovenia is wearing blue and green, yet their flag is red and blue. Either this is a tragedy of the highest calibre, or country's shouldn't have to religiously adhere to the colours on their flag.

I'm not saying countries should religiously adhere to the colours on their flag. In fact the post of mine you quoted had me saying that Canada would probably look great if they complimented the red and white with blue, gold, or green. All of those options have been used by Canada in the past, and all have more of a reason to be used then black does. With blue, green, and gold appearing on the country's coat of arms, and the flags and emblems of the Provinces and Territories.

So no, I'm not saying Canada should just be red and white. I'm saying that I would rather they use colour schemes more in line with these examples...

olZR7G3.jpg

RHZ6R8g.jpg

0R0Z0y9.jpg

uMlrQit.png

moZ7Oag.jpg

i dont like canada in red white and blue... at all...

this, i was fine with:

dec17_cane_canw.jpg?q=60

i don't like canada using black, but if they have to use black, this is how to do it... the jerseys are basically just red and white. the pants being black makes them a "black team" just as much as the colorado avalanche are.

besides, canada being head to toe red and white would always look more russian to me than canadian.

ideally, they'd stick to red and white... but if they want to break it up with a little darkness, black is fine as long as they use less than the devils. they still need to be overwhelmingly red and white.

5 hours ago, jerseyjunk said:

Wow, stars on the shoulder, very interesting.

Which company made them, and do you know i can see a photo of  them? 

Ohhh USA never wore those, those are just generic jerseys that have been in NHL for a few years. All the nations have those generic jerseys in the game except Canada cause EA Sports made a deal with Hockey Canada so they have official jerseys which are the jerseys I thought you were talking about.

Siginature.png.90aaa7d86f8ba1448206f0cbc8f97442.pngBahamasBowl_SIG.pngCxpIxxZ.png

3 hours ago, ODUMonarchs said:

Ohhh USA never wore those, those are just generic jerseys that have been in NHL for a few years. All the nations have those generic jerseys in the game except Canada cause EA Sports made a deal with Hockey Canada so they have official jerseys which are the jerseys I thought you were talking about.

I see, well i would call them far from generic! 

Even though they are pretty wild, i think they would be better than these eagle wing jerseys  B)

10 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Australia uses blue, gold, and green. Blue and gold being the country's heraldic colours. Granted green is just there for aesthetics, but it doesn't seem as trendy as Canada adding black does.

As far as NZ using black? I honestly don't know why, but at least they committed to it. They didn't add black to their flag's colour scheme.

I'm not saying countries should religiously adhere to the colours on their flag. In fact the post of mine you quoted had me saying that Canada would probably look great if they complimented the red and white with blue, gold, or green. All of those options have been used by Canada in the past, and all have more of a reason to be used then black does. With blue, green, and gold appearing on the country's coat of arms, and the flags and emblems of the Provinces and Territories.

So no, I'm not saying Canada should just be red and white. I'm saying that I would rather they use colour schemes more in line with these examples...

olZR7G3.jpg

RHZ6R8g.jpg

0R0Z0y9.jpg

uMlrQit.png

moZ7Oag.jpg

I think black is just as valid as Australia or NZ colour schemes. The absolute last colour Canada should use in a tertiary capacity is blue. There are enough countries using those three colours. And any justification for using a colour  not on the flag can be used for black as well. Not to mention Canada has been using black prominently in other sports as well like baseball, football, rugby and Olympic uniforms. As far as I'm concerned it's a de facto national colour. And I like it because at the end of the day it looks good visually and gives Canada a more unique sports aesthetic. I think it's important to delineate between "national colours" and "the colours of your national sports teams." 

I love that quote:

To the novice eye, something might seem unfinished about Russia’s new hockey uniform

Nike don't even try to lie about these uniforms.

I'm a big fan of 2010 jerseys, I like 2014 jerseys, but those 2018? I can understand futuristic look, but c'mon one eagle feathers design for every team?! That is lazy! They even screwed up fake laces or whatever it's supposed to be.

I'm intresting what kind of fabric nike uses to produce them if the same like on NBA jerseys, it will be fun to watch when they ripped off at every occasion.

4r2eer.png

From the IIHF site: 

Here’s how they did it:

• A shift to single-layer laser-perforated numbers (instead of layering up heavy twill) that they applied by heat (rather than stitching them down), both of which increased breathability and articulation. 
  • Doing away with the previous large, heavy centre-front crest in favour of a small, intricate, badge (select teams were moved to a new configuration led by country name rather than their crest), which reduced weight, resulting in better articulation for the athlete.
  • Consolidating fonts across kits. (Though select teams got a unique font.)

Further, the idea of alchemy involves transforming base metals into gold. “It’s all about creating an extremely valuable and desired outcome,” says Toudjine-Williams. This element of the theme comes to life with the following films and flicker capabilities employed throughout the jersey:

• Amplification of each team’s colours through a cascading gradient.
  • An expanded colour palette that includes secondary and tertiary colours.
  • A new blade Swoosh (inspired by a hockey skate blade) with chrome flicker that sparkles under the arena lights.
  • The flicker film (rather than heavy twill) addition to the top of the base for the crest and numbers increases vibrancy.
  • Injected silicon molds make the trims pop.

23 minutes ago, smzimbabwe said:

From the IIHF site: 

Here’s how they did it:

• A shift to single-layer laser-perforated numbers (instead of layering up heavy twill) that they applied by heat (rather than stitching them down), both of which increased breathability and articulation. 
  • Doing away with the previous large, heavy centre-front crest in favour of a small, intricate, badge (select teams were moved to a new configuration led by country name rather than their crest), which reduced weight, resulting in better articulation for the athlete.
  • Consolidating fonts across kits. (Though select teams got a unique font.)

Further, the idea of alchemy involves transforming base metals into gold. “It’s all about creating an extremely valuable and desired outcome,” says Toudjine-Williams. This element of the theme comes to life with the following films and flicker capabilities employed throughout the jersey:

• Amplification of each team’s colours through a cascading gradient.
  • An expanded colour palette that includes secondary and tertiary colours.
  • A new blade Swoosh (inspired by a hockey skate blade) with chrome flicker that sparkles under the arena lights.
  • The flicker film (rather than heavy twill) addition to the top of the base for the crest and numbers increases vibrancy.
  • Injected silicon molds make the trims pop.

The last time i saw so much crap was when i drove by a garbage dump

5 hours ago, smzimbabwe said:

So Nike's uinfying theme behind the designs and perfomance enhancements of their new jerseys is "alchemy?" Well hey, thanks for telling us up-front that it's all bull :censored: , I guess!

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived