Calgary Roughnecks Logo Concept (Need some critique)

ZionEagle

Hey guys! I have another quick logo redesign that I might need some help with. Long story short, I saw the Calgary Roughnecks logo in the sports logo section of the site, and while it's not a bad logo, I wanted to take a crack at revamping it a little.

9D1125t.png

So on the disqus comment section, I saw some people commenting that the oil industry in Calgary deals more with the "business" aspect of oil drilling as opposed to the Roughneck aspect of it. But I didn't want to change the design too much, nor the name. So I added a tie to bring in a more "businessman" kind of aesthetic :P I kept it kind of loose around his neck to make him look kind of disheveled and scruffy. Overall, I tried to keep a similar facial expression and looks of the original mascot, while not going over the top. As this is lacrosse, I wanted to include a reference to that since I couldn't put a lacrosse stick in a bust logo. So I tried to add a cage to his construction hat to mimic a lacrosse helmet. It was pretty tough to pull off, and I'm not sure if it looks right.

I also have a version without a tie:

1GdjArx.png

Now, here's where I need help. I'd like to know if you think this logo could work. If you think it could work, I need to know if there's anything I can improve on the actual design, or if it's fine as it is. If you don't like the logo, I would like to know if I should just try to update their current swinging logo instead? Any help and/or suggestions are appreciated!

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

"Winners never quit, and quitters never win." ~Vince Lombardi

59 minutes ago, NoE38 said:

This is a great design, I like the inclusion of the tie. Only thing is would consider is removing some of the shading. I feel like there's too much of it on the face and tie. Fix that and you're golden.

Thank you for the suggestions! Where would there be too much on the face might I ask so I can fix it? Should I keep the shading on the neck and remove the facial shading?

Also, as for the shading on the tie, I'm assuming you would like more red included? 

Thank you for the feedback! Hopefully I'll be able to improve it.

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

"Winners never quit, and quitters never win." ~Vince Lombardi

13 minutes ago, ZionEagle said:

Thank you for the suggestions! Where would there be too much on the face might I ask so I can fix it? Should I keep the shading on the neck and remove the facial shading?

Also, as for the shading on the tie, I'm assuming you would like more red included? 

Thank you for the feedback! Hopefully I'll be able to improve it.

For the tie, yes, more red would be good. I think the face and neck have too much shading on the left. The helmet I think could use less shading on the right as well.

@noe38concepts (Instagram - Twitter)

spacer.png

Archived