2018 MLS Kits

labc93

12 minutes ago, Digby said:

It was rough the last few years when NYRB had the reverse-Arsenal look with red sleeves. Good argument for third kits.

lloyd-sam-of-new-york-red-bulls-heads-th

Agreed. But apparently adidas doesn't want to make third kits anymore.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:
1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

By the way, in the first leg of the Red Bulls' tie against Toronto, both teams wore red shorts.  How was this allowed?

Toronto and Red Bulls don't have alternate shorts. Most leagues don't raise a stink about shorts unless the teams have secondaries. The Milan derby is a good example. 

Toronto could have worn their change strip, or just their blue shorts. 

image.jpg

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

Those shorts clash with their own home uniforms, not a chance they'd do that. 

OK, so forget the blue shorts with the red shirt.  But, once again: they could have worn the whole change strip.

At any rate, this sort of thing...

Image result for red bulls toronto fc november first leg

...should not be allowed.

1 hour ago, Digby said:

It was rough the last few years when NYRB had the reverse-Arsenal look with red sleeves. Good argument for third kits.

[picture removed]

Yay, here's my cue to go on my yearly ramble on what I think should be third kits for the entire league! I'm going to go off of the current kits, and not speculate on what the new ones might be.

Atlanta - Yellow/Blue/Yellow, chevron design in blue on the front (city flag)

Chicago - Dark Grey/White/White, highlighter yellow-white-highlighter yellow side design (similar to Mexico's new home kit but not as subdued) (inspired by an actual firefighter's uniform)

Colorado - Blue/White/Blue, white chest stripe (Colorado flag)

Columbus - Red/White/Yellow, light blue accents (Columbus flag - I think they had the right idea with those horrible white kits, but executed it as poorly as they possibly could have)

DC - Red/Red/Red, Two white chest stripes (Just using their final color as well as slight inspiration from the DC flag)

Dallas - Black/Black/Black, oily pattern (for lack of better explanation) on the front (They are really trying to become "Texas' team", and Texas has a ton of oil)

Houston - White/Orange/White, space shuttle pattern on front (someone did a really great concept based on this)

LA Galaxy - Yellow/Green/Green, green sash on front (sort-of throwback)

LAFC: Red/Red/Red, based on the "red carpet" (I'm going to assume a black primary and white/gold clash for LAFC, so this is what I would do especially because they say red is part of the color palette)

Minnesota: Black/Black/Black, grey wing pattern (they really need a dark kit, and where better to start than their earlier designs)

Montreal: Red/Blue/Red, Canadiens-inspired design

New England: Green/White/Red, NE flag-inspired

NY Red Bulls: Green/Yellow/Green, NJ flag-inspired

NYCFC: White/White/White, navy pinstripes (Yankees)

Orlando: Orange/White/Green, orange peel pattern (inspired by oranges and the Citrus Bowl)\

Philadelphia: Light Blue/Light Blue/Light Blue, gold chest stripe

Portland: White/Green/White, green hoops (Timbers Army scarves and T2 kit)

RSL: Yellow/Black/Yellow, black hoops (inspired by bees, as the Utah state flag has a beehive on it)

San Jose: Yellow-White/Black/White, yellow and white halves on shirt, black hoops on socks (inspired by San Jose Clash kit)

Seattle: Cyan/White/Cyan, inspired by 70s NASL kit

SKC: White/White/White, navy argyle pattern

Toronto: Blue/Blue/Blue, two white chest stripes, inspired by both Blue Jays and Maple Leafs kits

Vancouver: Light Blue/Light Blue/Light Blue, basically just using the color they haven't used yet

TL;DR - A lot of kits inspired by city and/or state flags, other teams in the market, or local inspiration. Others are just random (Whitecaps, Union)

ExJworW.png

1 minute ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

OK, so forget the blue shorts with the red shirt.  But, once again: they could have worn the worn the whole change strip.

At any rate, this sort of thing...

Image result for red bulls toronto fc november first leg

...should not be allowed.

In all seriousness, especially form someone that plays Sunday football, shorts are like the last thing that should be required to be changed. Almost everyone wear either black or white shorts because they are the easiest to get a hold of. The requirement of uniform pieces to clash really only applies to the shirts and socks. Though i would prefer that each team have two sets of shorts with each kit, it rarely happens for most of them. The only English teams I think that do that are Manchester United and Everton for their home uniforms. Leicester may do that as well. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

8 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Toronto and Red Bulls don't have alternate shorts. Most leagues don't raise a stink about shorts unless the teams have secondaries. The Milan derby is a good example. 

I might be misinterpreting something here, but are you saying Milan and Inter don't change their clashing shorts in the Milan derby? Because IIRC they always have in the last 20 or so years

07Giants.pngnyy.png

19 minutes ago, anythinglogos said:
8 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I might be misinterpreting something here, but are you saying Milan and Inter don't change their clashing shorts in the Milan derby? Because IIRC they always have in the last 20 or so years

Right. I think one of the teams always changes from their normal black shorts into white shorts.

20 minutes ago, njdevs7 said:

The Red Bulls are due for a new away kit this cycle. I'd be really surprised if it isn't the usual navy/yellow/navy combo.

As would I.  Their stadium leans so heavily on the blue, it seems unlikely they would gave it up entirely.

DNARAHoVwAAp8y8.jpg

1 hour ago, njdevs7 said:

The Red Bulls did have a white pair of shorts they wore sometimes in 2010. They haven't wore them since. 

136779_heroa.jpg

Yes, but the Red Bulls were home for the recent game against Toronto that I mentioned.  So it was on Toronto to come up with something else to wear.

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Yes, but the Red Bulls were home for the recent game against Toronto that I mentioned.  So it was on Toronto to come up with something else to wear.

Toronto's option is their regular home kit.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

47 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:
2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Toronto's option is their regular home kit.

I am not sure what this comment means. Toronto have another kit they could have worn.  The visiting team has to accommodate the home team's choice.  

Anyway, I understand that MLS doesn't enforce this when it comes to shorts; this isn't the first time it's happened between the Red Bulls and Toronto.  But I think it looks terrible.

10 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I am not sure what this comment means. Toronto have another kit they could have worn.  The visiting team has to accommodate the home team's choice.  

Anyway, I understand that MLS doesn't enforce this when it comes to shorts; this isn't the first time it's happened between the Red Bulls and Toronto.  But I think it looks terrible.

I’m not sure what you were expecting Toronto to do. The blue shorts from their secondary would clash horribly with the red shirts and socks from the primary kit, so they were never gonna do that, and there’s no way Toronto could’ve worn their full secondary since the shirt and socks are both white, just like NYRB’s home kit.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

8 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I think he means that Red Bull wore their white shirts at home in that game. TFC couldn't also wear their white shirts.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

45 minutes ago, upperV03 said:
54 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The visiting team has to accommodate the home team's choice.  

I’m not sure what you were expecting Toronto to do. The blue shorts from their secondary would clash horribly with the red shirts and socks from the primary kit, so they were never gonna do that, and there’s no way Toronto could’ve worn their full secondary since the shirt and socks are both white, just like NYRB’s home kit.

45 minutes ago, mr.negative15 said:

I think he means that Red Bull wore their white shirts at home in that game. TFC couldn't also wear their white shirts.

I will admit that, when I previously stated that Toronto could wear their change strip, I overlooked the fact that the shirt and socks would be the same as the Red Bulls' shirt and socks.  I was just so focussed on the shorts, and on the spurious claim that Toronto had no other option.

So, while a red shirt and blue shorts would look pretty bad together, if that's what it takes to not have the same colours as the home team, then that's what it should be.  

5 hours ago, mr.negative15 said:

Not shirts, shorts.  

Toronto doesn’t have white shorts; they have their primary reds and alternate blues. 

Now, you could say that MLS should have made them anticipate this match-up and add contrasting shorts to their kitbag.   But MLS obviously doesn’t care much about a clash between the shorts. 

Archived