2018 MLS Kits

labc93

Honestly not at all surprised. If a brand as powerful as YouTube is going to have their logo featured on a product, it's completely understandable that they won't want their brand diluted in anyway. Regardless of what we may think will look good for the jersey, their #1 focus is their own brand. Same reason why the Target logo is just the bullseye and not the wordmark on the  MNUFC jerseys. Their establishing their brand as just the bullseye and not [bullseye] TARGET. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

Honestly not at all surprised. If a brand as powerful as YouTube is going to have their logo featured on a product, it's completely understandable that they won't want their brand diluted in anyway. Regardless of what we may think will look good for the jersey, their #1 focus is their own brand. Same reason why the Target logo is just the bullseye and not the wordmark on the  MNUFC jerseys. Their establishing their brand as just the bullseye and not [bullseye] TARGET. 

Don't tell them but the lack of red and the lack of a wordmark actually makes the Target sponsorship less effective for me. Though using the wordmark as well might actually lessen the "Loon Hunt" effect.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

42 minutes ago, Digby said:

Don't tell them but the lack of red and the lack of a wordmark actually makes the Target sponsorship less effective for me. Though using the wordmark as well might actually lessen the "Loon Hunt" effect.

Yep, I'd agree with that. Just relaying the information as best I can from what I've heard. My brother manages multiple design teams at Target HQ and that is how he explained it to me. 

5 hours ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

I can 100% guarantee that no one is going to confuse YouTube for any other company just because their logo is not red. Especially if their logo in the kit reads Youtube TV. It's exceptionally stupid, considering sponsors almost always allow their logo colors to be altered to match with the kits. Red YT logo on an otherwise completely black and gold kit would irk me beyond belief, and yet another thing that LAFC has dropped the ball on. Underwhelming sponsor to begin with, and their biffing of the process of locking one down has now forced their fans to wait until a week before the season to get their kits locked down. So it would kind of be another thing that gives me little faith in the club. A minor one compared to the roster and others, but still, something.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

The Revs have made a small (and rather pointless) adjustment to their secondary kit, changing the socks from these:

17637166_10154577923073230_3882273718942

To these:

wki2QbX.jpg

If we can make the "giant red L" a meme will they give me navy shorts for this one?

14 minutes ago, WarriorFight said:

I can 100% guarantee that no one is going to confuse YouTube for any other company just because their logo is not red. Especially if their logo in the kit reads Youtube TV. It's exceptionally stupid, considering sponsors almost always allow their logo colors to be altered to match with the kits. Red YT logo on an otherwise completely black and gold kit would irk me beyond belief, and yet another thing that LAFC has dropped the ball on. Underwhelming sponsor to begin with, and their biffing of the process of locking one down has now forced their fans to wait until a week before the season to get their kits locked down. So it would kind of be another thing that gives me little faith in the club. A minor one compared to the roster and others, but still, something.

It's not about brand confusion. It's about maintaining the integrity of a brand. YouTube's brand is a red play button. (but agreed it would be insanely frustrating as a fan of LAFC!)

10 minutes ago, nas1787 said:

So for whatever reason, Colorado wore last year's kits in tonight's CCL match:

They said on Twitter they’re saving the new kits for the regular (MLS) season:

As an aside, I wish the hooped socks from that old kit could be a part of their new kit. Would look really sharp with the burgundy shirt/blue shorts combo.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

2018-Primary-Kitdrops-HOU-Front-Back-128

"a timeless design that incorporates tonal stripes across the chest to represent the diversity of both the club and Houston."

"Progressives shades of orange provide a vibrant and distinctive look to the kit in the same way that numerous cultures have come together to give Houston its unique dynamism" 

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

adidas-fc-bayern-munich-away-shirt-ah479

...Timeless.

spacer.png

4 hours ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

It's not about brand confusion. It's about maintaining the integrity of a brand. YouTube's brand is a red play button. (but agreed it would be insanely frustrating as a fan of LAFC!)

True, it would be insanely frustrating.

spacer.png

5 hours ago, WarriorFight said:

adidas-fc-bayern-munich-away-shirt-ah479

...Timeless.

Honestly, I really don't get why it's such a huge deal to many on here if a jersey template has already been used by some other adidas team at some point. That whole "cookie cutter argument" is a tired and petty trope. As long as a design suits the club well, looks nice and makes it unique in MLS, what gives?

Nobody's gonna mistake the Dynamo for Bayern Munich because they also had tonal stripes in a previous season. Just like nobody mistook them for the German NT when they both shared a chevron design.

Don't get me wrong: If some trends go overboard, like all the grey and BFBS kits this year, hells yeah, let's bash that. If a design violates your receptors, romp-and-stomp it and pluck the eyes out of anyone who disagrees. But demanding manufacturers to reinvent the wheel every single time for every single kit, for every single team, for every single season, that's just asking for too much. That's not about high standards or customer first, that's just being a spoiled, entitled gnat. Go and knit your own damn artisan hippie jerseys! :lol:

I think it definitely depends on the situation -- Houston's stripe works because that pattern wasn't everywhere to begin with, and it fits the club. Contrast that with the 90s graphic prints that Adidas is doing, that are everywhere in the World Cup AND in the league, and have no connection to the clubs in question, and that's where it gets more egregious for me.

5 hours ago, Captain Tsubasa said:

Honestly, I really don't get why it's such a huge deal to many on here if a jersey template has already been used by some other adidas team at some point. That whole "cookie cutter argument" is a tired and petty trope. As long as a design suits the club well, looks nice and makes it unique in MLS, what gives?

Nobody's gonna mistake the Dynamo for Bayern Munich because they also had tonal stripes in a previous season. Just like nobody mistook them for the German NT when they both shared a chevron design.

Don't get me wrong: If some trends go overboard, like all the grey and BFBS kits this year, hells yeah, let's bash that. If a design violates your receptors, romp-and-stomp it and pluck the eyes out of anyone who disagrees. But demanding manufacturers to reinvent the wheel every single time for every single kit, for every single team, for every single season, that's just asking for too much. That's not about high standards or customer first, that's just being a spoiled, entitled gnat. Go and knit your own damn artisan hippie jerseys! :lol:

Was mostly making fun of how MLS were trying to sell the kit as bold and unique when there was a clear example of the same template. I don't really care about the recycling as long as it's not gratuitous, and I actually like Houston's new kit. I just laughed to myself at the "timeless" part of the description. Don't disagree with you, just thought the wording of the announcement post was excessive.

spacer.png

50 minutes ago, pepis21 said:

People says nike are lazy, but almost every new MLS jersey got recycled design, so who is more lazy adidas or nike?

Why not both?

They've both gone through periods of recycled design and templates, and they've both done some inspired work in the past.  Hope the cycle turns soon.

There’s only so many ways to do a horizontal stripe, I don’t see much of a problem with Houston’s kit. While the Bayern stripe has the same proportions the color placement is very different.  the Bayern stripe has two different colors and the darkest color is in the middle while the Dynamo is tonal decreasing in brightness as it rises. Different collars, different sleeve trim, different adidas stripe placement, really the only sticking point is that it’s a horizontal stripe made out of five colors with the middle stripe as the largest. The 90’s patterns is a different matter, as is Nike using darker raglan sleeves and the same collar for damn near every team, not to mention the third kits which are all the same

07Giants.pngnyy.png

22 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Why not both?

They've both gone through periods of recycled design and templates, and they've both done some inspired work in the past.  Hope the cycle turns soon.

I would even add that both Nike and adidas are focused on the World Cup and major partners in this cycle. This is why you're seeing templates show up elsewhere. In years past even MLS clubs were getting decently unique kits. Looking to 2019, I think you'll notice this trend of more unique looks based on what I've seen from adidas's design positioning for next cycle. 

Senior Creative at Sporting Kansas City. Follow me on Twitter: @NateTheDesigner 

Archived