2018 MLS Kits

labc93

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^Yeah, the Red Bulls look really sharp in those red kits, especially when they pair ‘em with the white shorts. I wouldn’t be surprised if they wanted to make those the primaries next year, although I could see the ownership group nixing that.

As an aside, I thought this was an interesting matchup last night in Colorado, with the Rapids debuting their new primaries against SKC:5ab71c5425d2e.image.jpg?resize=760,585

A lot of light blue, but I didn’t mind that. I found myself really enjoying the simplicity of the Rapids’ new kit, as their color scheme is nice enough to stand alone without many other bells and whistles. Some texture on the shirt by way of a subtle pattern wouldn’t hurt, but it’s still pretty nice as is. 

Also, I’ve said on here before how much I like the Timbers’ new white secondaries, and I thought they looked really nice on the field yesterday in their debut at FCD:DZF0zZVU8AAiZyV?format=jpg

Just like with the Rapids’ new primaries (and with the Timbers’ carried over primaries), the color scheme is strong enough to where the simplicity of the kit really lets the color scheme shine. The gold accents on the collar, cuffs, crests and socks really make the kit IMO, and complement the white and dark green exceptionally well. I will say I wish there was a dedicated pair of dark green shorts for these kits, with white Adidas stripes like on the socks, but I don’t mind the all-white too much.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

The gold accents on the collar, cuffs, crests and socks really make the kit IMO, and complement the white and dark green exceptionally well. I will say I wish there was a dedicated pair of dark green shorts for these kits, with white Adidas stripes like on the socks, but I don’t mind the all-white too much.

There is. Green&White  Timbers just won't wear it much because the league competion people like monochrome light vs monochrome dark as much as possible. 

They also have white&gold shorts that go with the Home green jersey, but I don't think they've worn them yet.

44 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

No sponsor logo for ATL2?

I assume that NYCFC will retain the same sponsor logo when we eventually get a reserve side.  Our academy kids wear the same shirts as the first team, as seen in the U-17s victory over Real Madrid in the Generation Adidas Cup:

DZLlHAUU0AA6yGI.jpg

They announced the team in mid November so it could be that they’re still getting off the ground and probably were focused on assembling the staff and players, as well as the stadium (they play at the Gwinnett Braves, now Stripers, park). That could also explain why these look a bit like teamwear.

It will be interesting to see what they do. The academy wears the exact same kits as the first team, but has a different sponsor.

I've seen both approaches among USL affiliates of MLS clubs -- last I checked Seattle used hand-me-downs of the first team with a different badge, Portland and Orlando used fully different kits that looked like more teamwear-y versions of the first team.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

47 minutes ago, Digby said:

I've seen both approaches among USL affiliates of MLS clubs -- last I checked Seattle used hand-me-downs of the first team with a different badge, Portland and Orlando used fully different kits that looked like more teamwear-y versions of the first team.

Great point - here's two of them.

Portland-Seattle0613_large.jpg

I actually like the hooped T2 kits more than some the Timbers have worn in recent years.

LAGalaxyII-Portland0805_large.jpg

Galaxy II are another who borrow the first team's look.  Or at least they did back then.

Most of the MLS clubs’ USL affiliates (except for the ones with seperate identities like SKC’s Swope Park Rangers) use teamwear-y versions of the parent club’s kits (at least the home kits), complete with the same graphics, patterns, etc:28701268_796210930575498_37315652488270728828086_794988407364417_19266830114792528828296_1034544700047123_3603528632483719243198_2313688285522982_3962489471714223456677_822564471284201_600481159102539

The Sounders’ USL team used hand-me-downs from the first team with swapped out crests in their first couple seasons, but have since moved to the dumbed down versions that the other clubs use. The Galaxy’s USL affiliate still wears the parent club’s kits, just with an adjusted crest:

29356135_1760746690648313_74133040862351

And as you can see, the MLS clubs’ USL affiliates usually have the same shirt sponsors as the parent clubs, though the Timbers have the logo of their community involvement organization/foundation instead. And yeah, those hooped kits pictured above from Timbers 2 were really nice (both iterations, but moreso the first version), and basically what I was hoping to see from the first team this year. I feel like eventually the Timbers will come out with green and white hooped secondaries, in large part due to the positive fan response to T2’s hooped kits.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

28828296_1034544700047123_36035286324837

Might be unpopular opinion, but I actually like this version of Toronto kit better than their first team set. BTW it looks like all of these kits are based on Estro 15 template.

4r2eer.png

I'm a creature of habit, so seeing NYRB wear anything but white over red doesn't sit right with me. And here those SOBs are wearing all white against Orlando. Red shorts don't clash with Orlando's dark purple :angered:

Hotter Than July > Thriller

1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

I'm a creature of habit, so seeing NYRB wear anything but white over red doesn't sit right with me. And here those SOBs are wearing all white against Orlando. Red shorts don't clash with Orlando's dark purple :angered:

Yea I thought they would have went with the red shorts today. Interested to see what we wear against Chivas who wears red/white stripes.

33 minutes ago, njdevs7 said:

Yea I thought they would have went with the red shorts today. Interested to see what we wear against Chivas who wears red/white stripes.

Unless Chivas elects to wear their away or third kits at home (which I doubt), I’d think NYRB would have to break out the old navy and yellow kits for the road game in Guadalajara. For the return leg in New Jersey, NYRB could elect to wear either their white or red kits (I’d guess they’d probably stick with the all-white they’ve worn at home in the last two rounds of CCL), as both Chivas’ black and navy away kits and green third kits would contrast just fine.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Archived