2018 MLS Kits

labc93

Toronto FC got good when Tim Leiweke took over running the club after years of various MLSE people who didn't know what they were doing. There's still plenty that's sketchy about Major League Soccer, but I don't think that's an example. (It is a little bit funny that the two most prominent USMNT'ers of the past several years play in Canada though. Particularly after the World Cup faceplant.)

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/18/2018 at 7:15 AM, DG_Now said:

We finally got to the point where people accept "Football Club" in the MLS, and Cincinnati has to go and take it too far.

Fortunately, we'll only ever call them FC Cincinnati, so it's basically moot. However, if they bring along a mascot in lederhosen, I'm out.

Right. It's bad enough that Cincinnati is already "Futbol Club" instead of "Football Club". This next step is for sure taking it too far.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Yeah, I felt like this initiative was an awkward mix between jerseys that look oddly close to the usual sets (Vancouver, DCU, New England) and jerseys that looked way too off-brand (Colorado, Orlando, RSL). And having every matchup of the weekend look exactly the same is really strange. Not really a success for me. 

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

16 hours ago, TaylorMade said:

Another look:

usa_today_10801455.0.jpg

2 hours ago, Digby said:

Yeah, I felt like this initiative was an awkward mix between jerseys that look oddly close to the usual sets (Vancouver, DCU, New England) and jerseys that looked way too off-brand (Colorado, Orlando, RSL). And having every matchup of the weekend look exactly the same is really strange. Not really a success for me. 

If Seattle had been in a lighter green or blue this would have looked so much better. Using two different templates would have helped as well, or maybe put a logo on the kits explaining what they are for. MLS went with a green/blue shield, why not have that on all the jerseys as well? 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 2 weeks later...

Actually seeing LAFC's kits in action, I think I was definitely over-reacting. They look a lot better in-person and on the pitch too. Not to say they're great, I'm still bummed at the red youtube logo, but it's less intrusive in play, which is where it's important. And in person I actually don't mind the look, the kits look pretty clean. Got me a Black-and-Gold with Zimmerman on the back and I was proud to wear it at the Banc last Sunday. Hope they can fix the sponsor logo next time around but as it stands it's a decent enough start.

spacer.png

Predictably, the Red Bulls will be in all-red tomorrow for the first Hudson River Derby of 2018:

Regardless of whether NYCFC goes with the navy or white shorts (probably navy), I’d say this’ll be the best looking edition of the rivalry yet. Also, after this game, the Red Bulls will have worn their red kits in four of their first five MLS home games this year (the exception being the Parley game). It certainly seems like they could be transitioning the red kits to primary status for next season.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

5 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Predictably, the Red Bulls will be in all-red tomorrow for the first Hudson River Derby of 2018:

Regardless of whether NYCFC goes with the navy or white shorts (probably navy), I’d say this’ll be the best looking edition of the rivalry yet. Also, after this game, the Red Bulls will have worn their red kits in four of their first five MLS home games this year (the exception being the Parley game). It certainly seems like they could be transitioning the red kits to primary status for next season.

It took them long enough to go with an All-Red look. I know they did that in the OG years but man, the all-red and the two-tone blue with City will look amazing on the field.

spacer.png

SKC wore black at home yet again on Sat. I was at the game, and actually overheard a few people complaining about how often they've worn black this season. I don't totally hate the black kit, but Sporting blue is our home color. We aren't D.C. Sporting.   

Atlanta is about to do the same tomorrow against SKC. So instead of the beautiful red and black stripes versus pale blue and white, it will most likely be white versus black. It’ll be the second time this season wearing the white and peach set at home. I’m very much of the mindset that we should wear the red and black stripes always and use the secondary only in case of color clashes. Maybe once or twice at home they can do something different, just as a novelty, but wear the colors as often as possible.

10 hours ago, Mockba said:

Houston did the same.  Wear your homes at home, people. :P

well..to be fair. it was the first time all season Dynamo wore the black jerseys. had to show them off the home fans.  :P

In ATL/SKC right now, both keepers are wearing the blue keeper kit colorway. Seems like there must’ve been a communication error between the two sides and the league, as that’s not supposed to be allowed. With the two sides in white and black, respectively, and the refs in yellow, it’s not like there weren’t any other options that’d provide sufficient contrast. Both the red and orange keeper kit colorways would’ve contrasted just fine, so a communication breakdown seems like the most likely explanation.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Archived