2018 MLS Kits

labc93

Today’s matchup in Portland marks the 100th all-time meeting between the Timbers and Sounders, and both teams are marking the occasion with patches on the jerseys, special captain’s armbands, and more:

As expected, both sides and the fanbases are also marking the occasion by displaying extreme pettiness and resentment towards each other, but that’s another story.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys know those health monitor things the players wear? They strap to the chest and wrap around the back. When worn with a white kit, it bleeds through the mesh back panel and strongly reminds me of an old TechFit shirt. See #4 Garza below.

usa_today_10834687.0.jpg

4093628109_4c4c598048_o.jpg

All that commemorative stuff for the 100th game looks great, but I am so sick of the never ending hype around the Portland/Seattle rivalry. And nothing says "deep enmity" like collaborating with your hated rival on graphic design to get printed on your shirt?

Yes, your teams have played a lot, you are special, just stop trying so hard about it. Also I never want to hear anyone say "Flounders" or "Portscum" ever again. That's all, thanks.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

2 hours ago, Digby said:

All that commemorative stuff for the 100th game looks great, but I am so sick of the never ending hype around the Portland/Seattle rivalry. And nothing says "deep enmity" like collaborating with your hated rival on graphic design to get printed on your shirt?

Yes, your teams have played a lot, you are special, just stop trying so hard about it. Also I never want to hear anyone say "Flounders" or "Portscum" ever again. That's all, thanks.

What's kind of funny, is that locally, people are pretty down on the Sounders. They got booed out of the building at the end of a 0-0 tie last week, and people are getting restless with Seattle not making any major signings.

So while Portland/Seattle has been a lot of fun in the past, it was more fun when both teams were good. Seattle sucks right now, and it all feels kind of pointless.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

If the Sounders suck where do I sign my Rapids up to suck? The way Sounders fans are acting really promotes the fair-weather/plastic stereotype they have. I understand being frustrated by the performance of the team but the Sounders have been in MLS cup back to back seasons, won 3 USOC and have never not made the WC Semis in 10 years of MLS play. 

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

14 minutes ago, JTernup said:

If the Sounders suck where do I sign my Rapids up to suck? The way Sounders fans are acting really promotes the fair-weather/plastic stereotype they have. I understand being frustrated by the performance of the team but the Sounders have been in MLS cup back to back seasons, won 3 USOC and have never not made the WC Semis in 10 years of MLS play. 

You're not wrong. There's a lot of entitlement in the fanbase here.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• 2 weeks later...

The Timbers are debuting some new green shorts for their secondary kits tonight in Colorado. They have white Adidas stripes and numbers, with the same crest as the shirt. I’ll post some pictures later, but it’s a really nice look. I was hoping they’d have some green clash shorts for their secondaries, so it’s nice to see that they do indeed have them as an option.

Edit- Here’s a few looks:

usa_today_10855437.0.jpg9db32e89-ddcf-4433-8543-f6791b1da573.jpg723d0c05-b46e-474f-bfba-cdd6785477fc.jpg

I thought they looked really good, and I hope to see this combo more going forward this season. The default all-white combo is nice, but the green shorts are definitely a nice change of pace, and helps to further differentiate the kit from the other white kits in the league. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

52 minutes ago, nas1787 said:

It's an excellent look. Timbers have really knocked it out of the park (is there a soccer version of this idiom?) lately with their designs, particularly changing to the old gold.

Considering their stadium has been named Providence Park for a few years now (and was previously named PGE Park in the A-League and USL days), and that the stadium was used extensively for baseball prior to the renovations for MLS, I’d say that idiom is appropriate.

And yeah, aesthetically the Timbers have been near the top of the league for a few years now, especially with the move to the old gold on the kits. I keep hoping (and expecting) them to move to the old gold full time across all platforms, not just on the kits, but so far they haven’t fully taken that step yet. They do seem to be moving in that direction though, and rightfully so because the old gold is so much better than the mossy yellow-green. Overall, even though I really liked their various Rose City red secondaries, I’d say their current primary/secondary kit combo is the best they’ve had since moving to MLS.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

All Star game kits for this summer’s game against Juventus. I really like the design. A fresh take on the classic 1990s retro adidas vibe. Selfishly, I was hoping for something loosely inspired by Atlanta since our city is hosting and most of the marketing has been red and gold.

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2018/05/adidas-mls-2018-all-star-kit.html?m=1

adidas-mls-2018-all-star-kit-8.jpg

I’ve never understood why, when you invite a famous foreign club to your game and you have carte blanche to design whatever kit you want from scratch, you design one that would force your famous guest to not wear their iconic look. Oh well.

1 hour ago, Digby said:

I’ve never understood why, when you invite a famous foreign club to your game and you have carte blanche to design whatever kit you want from scratch, you design one that would force your famous guest to not wear their iconic look. Oh well.

Because this jersey was designed over a year ago and Juve was signed a month ago.

19 minutes ago, TheEmperor said:

Because this jersey was designed over a year ago and Juve was signed a month ago.

Juve will also want to roll out new gear while in the States and the more they can show it off the better. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, TheEmperor said:

Huh really? I figured the All Star jerseys would not quite have the usual long timeline for development the way a proper club brand would. Also figured the Juve thing would've been in the works more than three months before the game too. But I know nothing.

Archived