Oklahoma making the switch to Jordan Brand in 2018

j'villejags

NORMAN – Jordan Brand continues to expand both on the court and on the field. Today the brand welcomes the University of Oklahoma to the family, making it just the third collegiate football program to represent the Jumpman on the gridiron. The Sooners' uniforms will begin to feature the Jumpman logo at the start of the 2018-19 season. The partnership will include the football team and the men's and women's basketball teams.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=211677812

Credit to our own @JPDesign who had a great write-up and presented this possibility prior to the official announcement. 

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

16 minutes ago, Cardsblues02 said:

Just don't **** up the classic look. Its already borderline perfect, no changes needed. Dump that wood pattern stuff though. 

Considering they didn't screw up Michigan's look, I think they'll do Oklahoma's just fine.

56 minutes ago, bowld said:

Someone explain... Isn't Jordan brand under Nike umbrella? Meaning, wouldn't the look stay the same just replacing the swoosh with jumpman? 

Yes, Jordan Brand is still Nike, meaning that OU is still Nike. The only change would just be the logo from the Swoosh to the Jumpman.

They'll look the same just like Michigan & North Carolina.

Could be some subtle changes to their uniforms besides the Jumpman.

Looks like a new wordmark and number font. The wordmark and number fonts were spotted in their new football facilities. As far as proprietary fonts go, this one is pretty nice. The uniforms are just mockups.

All pics via this website:

https://medium.com/@SoonerTracker/lets-talk-about-jumpman-7bf1059a7365

D99A169F-35E9-412F-8100-696177DE48B3.jpeg

B31FC0AB-DF46-4950-9C54-B736713CC575.jpeg

6F68D1A7-0554-48CB-9771-5559E8519AE5.jpeg

49232647-29BA-490C-8C22-CC9D112B07E4.jpeg

6BE9DE90-839B-48C5-AED1-90F32E0D59E3.jpeg

5 hours ago, lilben777 said:

I can see USC or Texas being next to make the jump.....

I'm saying Florida and Illinois.  The reason why I mention Illinois is that due to Michael Jordan NBA ties to the state (referring to his playing days with the Chicago Bulls, which is obviously in Illinois).  Kinda surprised the Illini have yet to switch to the Jumpman logo and maybe now could be the time to do so.

6 hours ago, lilben777 said:

I can see USC or Texas being next to make the jump.....

Unlikely.

USC has an existing apparel deal with Jerry Jones' Silver Star Marketing through 2021. Nike is only USC's outfitter, whose contract length is not public as USC is private.

Silver Star Marketing has "exclusive license to manufacture and distribute USC branded apparel and headwear in the mass, mid-tier, sporting goods, specialty and online retail channels,"

Doesn't leave Nike to profit from but jerseys and coaches apparel.

2 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Looks like a new wordmark and number font. The wordmark and number fonts were spotted in their new football facilities. As far as proprietary fonts go, this one is pretty nice. The uniforms are just mockups.

Blake Griffin has been Brand Jordan since 2012, so with his popularity, a move has been in the works for a while.

https://news.nike.com/news/jordan-brand-adds-nba-all-star-blake-griffin-to-its-roster

Along with the possible changes mentioned by @aawagner011, I’d expect there to be some updated alternate designs now that the “Bring the Wood” uniforms are a few years old and they’re on the outdated Speed Machine template. Those alternates seem to have been fairly well received by the Sooner faithful, so I wouldn’t think they’d undergo wholesale changes, just like the primary set won’t.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

11 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

That font looks very similar to North Carolina's, just a bit thicker. And those As are really wide compared to the rest of the letters--and even the previous version. I'll also miss the 7 in the now-current set (note the very short vertical part before that leg slants down--that was always a key and, to me, characteristic way of identifying Oklahoma's, Texas', and Ohio State's numbers).

Still though, tasteful update for a program that probably really shouldn't need to do much more than that.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

7 hours ago, CLEstones said:

Best part of re-brands or brand switches: new fonts.

Unless you're West Virginia. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I wrote that Medium post about the Sooners potential changes, thanks for sharing AAWagner.

The font may or may not actually be changing on the uniforms. As I mentioned in the article, it's everywhere in their new facilities so it seems likely that it could show up on the uniforms too. But, it's totally possible the uniforms will look exactly the same, but with a jumpman instead of a swoosh.

I think this year will be the last for the bring the wood alternates, or anything like them. OU fans are pretty split on that alternate set, but I think the general consensus is negative. I think wood grain could be incorporated into the future, but not like it has been. That said, recruits seem to like them, When they visit and have their picture made, about 40% choose the alternate jerseys.

I definitely don't think OU will move away from alternates altogether. I think the most likely route for alternates would be fauxbacks. Something similar to how tOSU executed the Chic Harley era uniforms. I think honoring their tradition, versus trying to be "modern" feels more right for Oklahoma.

Archived