Championship Preferences

wdm1219inpenna

When it comes to the "big 4", which championship style do you prefer, American vs National (World Series/Super Bowl) or Eastern vs Western (NBA/NHL)?

Although I no longer watch the NFL, I am nevertheless more partial to American vs National to determine a champion.  It's exciting to me to see two teams from the same area or region compete for a title, like the Bears vs Colts, or the Cubs vs Indians for example.

American vs National. East vs. West gets to be a bit scheduling disaster in a best of 7.

Fly Eagles Fly, on the road to victory...

Philadelphia Eagles: NFL Champions in 1948, 1949, 1960, Super Bowl Champions in 2017-18. Philadelphia Phillies: World Series Champions in 1980 and 2008. Philadelphia 76ers: NBA Champions in 1966-67 and 1982-83. Philadelphia Flyers: Stanley Cup Champions in 1973-74, 1974-75

On 11/11/2017 at 7:12 PM, DiePerske said:

I like whatever has organically evolved the best. East v West for NBA/NHL, American National for baseball/NFL.

If i were to start a league, I would use the soccer model of best team at the end of the regular season.

I'm with you here.  NFL/MLB evolved to essentially merge two competing leagues with similar coverage.  NHL/NBA did not really do that.  East/West makes sense in those leagues, but what MLB and the NFL are doing makes sense as well.

I don't know the "soccer" model, but I assume you mean that the playoffs are essentially conference-free.  The WNBA started this a couple of years ago (perhaps so Minnesota and LA could end up in the finals? Which they have both years).  I'd probably find a similar change in any of the "big 4" to be jarring.  But starting fresh?  I dunno...I like the idea of two conferences setting up historic finals rivalries (Celtics/Lakers) and even seemingly annual playoff rivalries (Bulls/Pistons of the late 1980s, etc.) but there probably is more "integrity" to skipping conferences (see Big Ten divisions).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Just now, OnWis97 said:

I don't know the "soccer" model, but I assume you mean that the playoffs are essentially conference-free.

No, that's not it.  The "soccer model" most would think of is what the Premier League and most soccer leagues use: depending on the league size, each team plays everybody else twice (this is usually more for smaller leagues, like Scotland)...whoever has the best record is the champion, whoever has the worst 2-4 records drops down to a lower division.  Cup competitions have no bearing whatsoever on league play, so for example if Manchester United suffers an upset in the FA Cup, but they're in second place in the Premier League, even if their cup opponent was a fellow PL club, it has no effect on their league position; likewise, if somebody like Stoke City are trying to fend off relegation in league play, but have made the FA Cup quarterfinals, their cup success has nothing to do with their league failures.

There are leagues with more unusual setups, like the Apertura-Clausura split seasons favored in Mexico and many Central and South American leagues, or that Belgian system I linked to in my last post, but what I described is the most common way soccer leagues play out.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

On 11/18/2017 at 9:58 PM, Discrimihater said:

I'd be interested in something like the Belgian league myself.  The description of it is strange, but I like it.  That's just the way I am :P

This is a favorite "if sports were different" thing with me for baseball and basketball. Going about 2/3-3/4 of the way through the "regular season" where everyone plays, then having a double round-robin round for the top end teams, then the top 2 in the finals or a shortened version of a playoff for that TV money. And everyone else just plays out the string without fanfare or not just like they do now.

Archived