Major League Rugby

kiwi_canadian

Little surprised this hasn't been added yet but there is another rugby union league starting up in the United States this April and it seems more promising than the last one. Seems to be more financial backing as well as putting teams in established rugby communities in the US. They also signed a broadcasting agreement with CBS Sports Network, which is something PRO Rugby didn't have. This season will start with 7 teams in Seattle, Austin, Houston, New Orleans, San Diego, Salt Lake City and Glendale, Colorado. There are plans to expand into Canada next season with Vancouver and Toronto on the map as potential expansion teams. Hopefully this league will flourish and will increase the popularity of rugby union in North America and help with a potential bid for a future Rugby World Cup in either the US, Canada or a joint bid by both.

Austin_Elite_Rugby_logo_2017.png

legion.png

logo-new-orleans-gold-150x150-2017.png

MLR.jpg

Raptors.png

saibercats.png

Seawolves.jpg

Warriors-logo.png

To be fair, the article is a little out of date. For one, the Austin team is not called the Huns and Houston changed their name to the Sabre Cats. As well there have been lots of signings by some of the clubs mentioned in the article that have no signed players. I know that Seattle has signed Phil Mack from Victoria as a player/coach and New Orleans has signed Hubert Bydens (one of the beardos from the 2011 RWC). Either way though, seems to be doing a bit better than the other league. Time will tell though.

On 11/10/2017 at 11:35 AM, kiwi_canadian said:

To be fair, the article is a little out of date. For one, the Austin team is not called the Huns and Houston changed their name to the Sabre Cats. As well there have been lots of signings by some of the clubs mentioned in the article that have no signed players. I know that Seattle has signed Phil Mack from Victoria as a player/coach and New Orleans has signed Hubert Bydens (one of the beardos from the 2011 RWC). Either way though, seems to be doing a bit better than the other league. Time will tell though.

To also be fair, they initially claimed teams in cities they won't start in.

No KC, Dallas or Minneapolis.

Having a deal with CBS Sports Network is just like MLL and Arena Football as CBSSN is not Nielsen rated

They're just ready to  buy satellite time and selling commercials themselves.

Beat me to it Kiwi, I came on here to add these!

Ontario Arrows (playing an exhibition schedule in 2018, joining 2019) released their new logo.

OntarioArrowsSolidColor.jpg

Thought on everything so far:

Ontario: Arrows is a decent name, ties into the Avro Arrow as well as First Nations significance. Including the Toronto skyline like they did they must be playing somewhere in the GTA, so maybe they're really trying to bring in all the province's rugby fans. I think a great start would be losing the yellow arrow, seems a bit obvious, as well as clip-art-y. I had the idea of using an inverted arrowhead as a shield shape, placed behind the grey O.

Houston SabreCats: Better than Strikers, which sounds like a soccer team, but I think it's one of the weaker names. Logo could be refined using another colour to add some detail or depth, but not a bad concept. First time I've seen the rugby ball shape incorporated like that.

Utah Warriors: Cool name, cool colours, looks pretty professional.

Glendale Raptors: Not a new team, so it makes sense that they have a pretty strong logo. Glad they kept Raptors for the pro side, it's a better name than Merlins.

Seattle Seawolves: I think they knocked it out of the park. Screams Seattle.And out of all them I could that one fitting into any of the big NA leagues and not looking out of place.

NOLA Gold: Fairly basic, looks "Mardi-Gras-y" enough. With a name like Gold they aren't limited in the way a lot of other names are, could see some interesting changes down the road if they survive.

Austin Elite Rugby: Decent logo, they need a real name though. I'm treating this as a placeholder for now.

San Diego Legion: While not the biggest fan of singular-plural team names, at least it's a badass one. The shield font looks a little modern for your typical Roman Centurion type look so I'm curious where they go with it. 

MLR: Not a huge fan of "Major League- xxxx" stylings, but it beats NRA and NRFL, NRL is taken... so I guess it's the best without getting to out there. The logo itself is pretty solid, the grey bottom half keeps it from being just another red-white-blue logo. I think it would look good to add a maple leaf to the other half of the ball, once a Canadian team joins.

Archived