Albany AFL Team NOT Going To Be Firebirds

Needschat

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

Is the AFL slowly rebuilding itself? Eh, probably not, but it's nice to see them give it a shot.

I think they understand it's better to keep teams within driving distance of each other to keep costs down. I like Phoenix, especially since you could bring back the firebird logo as a fauxback uniform. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, Needschat said:

The new Arena League team in Albany won't be nicknamed the Firebirds.  The team's "Name The Team" contest is down to four: Phoenix, Empire, Machine, and Fire.  

http://albanyafl.com/news/story/?id=13868

Huh, four people must of entered the contest because I nominated Phoenix. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

6 hours ago, kimball said:

Huh, four people must of entered the contest because I nominated Phoenix. 

If the ownership didn't want Firebirds to be the name, they should have stated it before all the voting began.  Honestly, I think these names were chosen by the group BEFORE, because we all know 'Birds was most popular and NO ONE would think of Machine.  

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

7 hours ago, Needschat said:

If the ownership didn't want Firebirds to be the name, they should have stated it before all the voting began.  Honestly, I think these names were chosen by the group BEFORE, because we all know 'Birds was most popular and NO ONE would think of Machine.  

True, but if the Phoenix wins I'm totally claiming myself as the person who named the team. ;)

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Fun fact: around 2004 I was looking for sports logos to use (steal) for my fictional football league. Mainly poking around logoserver.com, which is still active, amazingly. I really liked the Albany Conquest's logo package and name. That snooping eventually led me to these forums. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

7 hours ago, kimball said:

True, but if the Phoenix wins I'm totally claiming myself as the person who named the team. ;)

That and $5.35 can get you an iced venti skinny mocha with 8 pumps at Starbucks ;)

I believe Phoenix will be the winner.  

38 minutes ago, MBurmy said:

They say they can't be the Firebirds because of "trademark issues"...but doesn't the AFL own all the old team names & logos?

It appears that Gridiron Enterprises, the original Arena League people, still have the 1998 trademark.  Hmmmm.

Archived