CFL in Halifax coming soon?

dcameronh

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope so.. would the name Atlantic Schooners be brought back or new name althought?

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

I hope they have Atlantic Canada residents name the team in a fan poll. They should let the name grow organically through fan discussion as opposed to letting the owner name the team *cough* Ottawa Redblacks *cough* Vegas Golden Knights. 

I'm open to having the team named the Atlantic Schooners (the article indicated it would reflect all of the Atlantic), but if a better brand can be created, I'm game for that too. 

I hope the colour scheme involves something not currently in the CFL like teal, brown, purple, grey, etc. The original colours from the 1980s were silver, blue and brass, but there are enough blue teams in the league already (three out of nine).

It would be great if Halifax gets a team.  Depending on whether the name is available or not, Atlantic Schooners might be the name to go with in order to get all of Atlantic Canada behind it and not just Halifax and Nova Scotia.  But, getting levels of government to come up with the money to build a stadium will be tough.

However, I'd be a little concern that Anthony LeBlanc, the former owner of the Arizona Coyotes, is involved with the group.  Any one who actually wanted to keep the team in that market can't be too business savvy.

I think it will work. If you take a look at the "Touchdown Atlantic" games that used to be a thing, they averaged 15,000 to 20,000 fans at those games. Much like Ottawa, the revival of an old team would send the city into a frenzy. I say go for it.

Then expand to London .... please ... 

If halifax is mentioned for the expansion team, what about others like quebec city or moncton or london (ontario) and windsor? I also wonder if saskatoon could get into that but hmm.. any other places could be worth mention for the CFL to expand to?

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

A schooner is a sailboat, stupid-head.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

16 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

A schooner is a sailboat, stupid-head.

THERE IS NO EASTER BUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

14 hours ago, philcar1994 said:

I think it will work. If you take a look at the "Touchdown Atlantic" games that used to be a thing, they averaged 15,000 to 20,000 fans at those games. Much like Ottawa, the revival of an old team would send the city into a frenzy. I say go for it.

Then expand to London .... please ... 

What about Thunder Bay?  That would be another solid Canadian city that could get a franchise?

53 minutes ago, orangefaniniowa said:

What about Thunder Bay?  That would be another solid Canadian city that could get a franchise?

Waaay too small.

14 hours ago, NorthStar74 said:

If halifax is mentioned for the expansion team, what about others like quebec city or moncton or london (ontario) and windsor? I also wonder if saskatoon could get into that but hmm.. any other places could be worth mention for the CFL to expand to?

Quebec City may be worthy, but Halifax is miles ahead of Moncton or London and especially Windsor. Windsorites can travel 10 minutes through the tunnel and see the Lions, or 45 minutes and watch Michigan. Not to mention University of Windsor games. The CFL would fail miserably. 

sig.png

Archived