CFL in Halifax coming soon?

dcameronh

On 17/11/2017 at 10:27 AM, Hoops McCann said:

Curious about other regional names that might be well-received by fans in the area.  

Atlantic xxx

Maritime xxx   ??

Acadia xxx   ??

- signed, curious ignoramus from the US 

On 17/11/2017 at 10:52 AM, the admiral said:

"Atlantic" is such a lousy place name. It sounds like representing an entire ocean. They should be a Halifax team, of course, but if that's absolutely not an option because it'll hurt feelings in Charlottetown, then I suppose "Maritime" would have to do. But none of it matters if the IceEdge clowns are the ones behind this.

Fun fact: whereas Atlantic Canada refers to 4 provinces (NS, NB, PEI, NL), the Maritimes is technically only comprised of NS, NB and PEI. Therefore if the intent is to appeal to the entire region, using the place name Maritimes would actually (technically) be excluding Newfoundland.

Personally, I think Atlantic is probably the best option if Nova Scotia/Halifax are off the table.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excluding Newfoundland won't be a problem. Rugby is more popular there than football, but Atlantic has a better ring to it than Maritime. Having been to the Atlantic provinces a few times, they have a different culture from the rest of the country, so it makes sense for it to be Atlantic. Not every team has to be City Name or State/Province Name. This would be a perfect opportunity for a team to do something different.

@noe38concepts (Instagram - Twitter)

spacer.png

15 hours ago, Tygers09 said:

I was thinking Acadians for a team nickname, but where do most of the Acadian population live or used to live, in Nova Scotia, NB, or all of the Maritimes?

Naming sports teams after a group of people (particularly a historically marginalized group of people) will not, and should not, happen in 2017.

Some sort of tea or blue-gray, or other ocean colour, and another colour that isn't used elsewhere in the league.  I think maroon or purple.  It would be like a darker Miami look.

Are there any cool whale or fish names? Or a type of storm?

16 hours ago, jonny24 said:

Some sort of tea or blue-gray, or other ocean colour, and another colour that isn't used elsewhere in the league.  I think maroon or purple.  It would be like a darker Miami look.

Are there any cool whale or fish names? Or a type of storm?

Typhoons, Breakers, 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived