Bruins' Logolympiad Portfolio

Bruins

Adding to the slew of Logolympiad Portfolios with entries from my second year. C&C appreciated!

Event 1

fTIHoOT.png

I was actually pretty happy I finished 5th with this logo, because seeing it along with all the other great entries I thought it seemed a little bare. I was excited about the shield morphing into football shape, but I never thought it looked quite right, there was just something off to me. Thoughts?

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

This was a really good entry, well thought out and executed.  The only thing I would recommend is moving the text more to the right. The font also looks a little small on the full name logo. You obviously have the talent to win events like this, can't wait to see what else you've got!

@noe38concepts (Instagram - Twitter)

spacer.png

Here's the funny thing. This got my #1 vote. Had I used a slower deliberation process of a day or two, it might not have cracked my top 3. But the thing is that the idea was so out-of-the-box relative to the other concepts while being executed well made it stand out above the rest. (Says one of several with an eagle concept.) And the thing that would have locked a top-3 regardless of when I voted would be a different typeface. To have serifs on a typeface, especially serifs that thick, when the text in the final product is going to be pretty small, ends up muddying up the text.

One last thing: I thought it was a football passing in front of a shield, which is what I thought was so clever.

rATMcmK.png

On 11/17/2017 at 3:25 PM, NoE38 said:

This was a really good entry, well thought out and executed.  The only thing I would recommend is moving the text more to the right. The font also looks a little small on the full name logo. You obviously have the talent to win events like this, can't wait to see what else you've got!

Thank you! I can see that, that would definitely take care of some of that awkward space where the blue streak abruptly ends.

On 11/17/2017 at 3:38 PM, Whittier S said:

Here's the funny thing. This got my #1 vote. Had I used a slower deliberation process of a day or two, it might not have cracked my top 3. But the thing is that the idea was so out-of-the-box relative to the other concepts while being executed well made it stand out above the rest. (Says one of several with an eagle concept.) And the thing that would have locked a top-3 regardless of when I voted would be a different typeface. To have serifs on a typeface, especially serifs that thick, when the text in the final product is going to be pretty small, ends up muddying up the text.

One last thing: I thought it was a football passing in front of a shield, which is what I thought was so clever.

Thanks for not using a longer deliberation process! :P But I completely agree about the typeface, it does look very muddy where the full name is and that's why. I was never really in love with the font but I also didn't have any particular beefs with it, since I thought it looked very league logo-ish. I really liked it but i didn't love it, so I guess subliminally I knew that was the problem but couldn't put my finger on it.

It could be, lol. But it was more supposed to be just combining the typical shield shape with the typical football shape.

On 11/17/2017 at 5:38 PM, Dan O'Mac said:

Yeah, this was good. What I didn't like was the football itself. The way it looks to me looks more like beach ball panels on a football.

Thanks, man. Thought the exact same thing actually, but I kinda liked the way the colors looked in that way.

Thank you for all the feedback on Event 1 guys! 

Event 2

So for Event 2 I was especially excited about what I could do with Mexico City out of the five city name options, because there is so much imagery and so many color schemes that are unique to Mexico. I decided to go with a Dia de los Muertos sugar skull theme, which in Spanish are called Calaveras. The colors were derived from the official color scheme of DDLM, and i tried to make the design feel as Mexican as possible, which is why I took the risk and put the iconic-ish flashy poncho pattern on the shoulders of the jerseys. Obviously, you guys got exactly what i was going for and I was shocked to see this afternoon that my entry had been voted 2nd! So with that, I'd love to hear any thoughts/C&C you guys have on this!

kkBxoKw.jpg

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

This was my gold if I recall correctly; I could check, but who has time for that? 

I personally wouldn't have ever put MXC on a uniform, but it works for an expansion team in a new market, so I let it slide.  I loved that you followed the rules of NBA primary logo design (which I know wasn't mandatory for the event, but doing so was just bonus for me), and it has bridges the line between modern design elements and still fitting into the NBA.  So good work and congrats on the silver!

14 minutes ago, scottyeagle said:

This was my gold if I recall correctly; I could check, but who has time for that? 

I personally wouldn't have ever put MXC on a uniform, but it works for an expansion team in a new market, so I let it slide.  I loved that you followed the rules of NBA primary logo design (which I know wasn't mandatory for the event, but doing so was just bonus for me), and it has bridges the line between modern design elements and still fitting into the NBA.  So good work and congrats on the silver!

There are specific rules for primary logos?

XcryMwi.png

Honestly, this look was a bit too crazy for me. I enjoyed it, but there is still to much going on. I thought MXC was unique, but the full text would have worked better. I also think that if you took the poncho striping and put it in the side panels, that would have created a better look. However, I will say this was a fun look for the competition.

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

It didn't get my vote because it felt too stereotypical, like what an American would think a Mexican franchise should look like, rather than how a Mexican would think a Mexican franchise would look like. That why I liked @lightning25's concept so much. The iconography looked like what I see when I am in Mexican-majority communities.

rATMcmK.png

On 11/20/2017 at 3:09 PM, NoE38 said:

This would have been in my top three if the uncultured person I am got the poncho striping reference. Now that I see it, I definitely would have voted for it. The logo looks fantastic. All-around, a fantastic entry.

Ha! Thank you!

On 11/20/2017 at 3:29 PM, Dan O'Mac said:

I also didn't get the poncho reference, but my lack of vote came from the "MXC" on it. I prefer to see the team name (Calaveras in this case) on the home uniform, and I needed to nit-pick a bit to get those final 3.

Yeah, I can understand how that was missed, but it means even more that it had success without that kinda crucial piece of cultural meaning. I also definitely get that MXC is just a tad...tacky. But I went for absolute realism w this concept, which is why I used MXC which is something i think the NBA would totally do, and why I followed the NBA logo guidelines, including the full team name and a basketball. 

On 11/20/2017 at 6:44 PM, scottyeagle said:

Lets just say it was. :P

Exactly, and thx for noticing that! Appreciate the kind words!

On 11/21/2017 at 12:38 PM, SSmith48 said:

Honestly, this look was a bit too crazy for me. I enjoyed it, but there is still to much going on. I thought MXC was unique, but the full text would have worked better. I also think that if you took the poncho striping and put it in the side panels, that would have created a better look. However, I will say this was a fun look for the competition.

Understandable, its not a tame concept by any means, but I really wanted a colorful, outside the box design to capture the vivid colors of Dia de los Muertos. Thank you though, i appreciate the feedback!

On 11/21/2017 at 1:47 PM, Whittier S said:

It didn't get my vote because it felt too stereotypical, like what an American would think a Mexican franchise should look like, rather than how a Mexican would think a Mexican franchise would look like. That why I liked @lightning25's concept so much. The iconography looked like what I see when I am in Mexican-majority communities.

I hear that, but DDLM is an iconic, instantly recognizable celebration of Mexican heritage, not just some gringo's caricature of their culture, and I drew almost entirely from that for this concept. But I also do understand preferring a less obvious direction, as well.

Thank you for all the great feedback on Event 2 everyone!

Event 4

So, for event 4 I wanted to make a wordmark that worked very cohesively with the god-level lion logo made by @Gordie. Thats why i decided to copy the shield layout used in the logo and basically try to transform the lion into the word Pride, using the same amount of colors and including claw marks and the tail of the lion for the I. The tail serves several purposes, attaching the "group of lions" meaning to the word Pride, as well as its double use as a torch of sorts, with the tuft of fur the flame. I was incredibly happy to see that it had earned my first gold medal ever in the Logolympiad, so many thanks to all who voted for me and with that, I'd love to hear any comments or criticisms on my third entry in the competition! Thanks!

13hmsq1.jpg?1

Lz5f6vZ.png

• 3 weeks later...

Event 5

This was one of the tougher events for me, I never really got a clear idea of what I wanted to do. I ended up going simple, too simple, with the peace tower on the left and the D dodging the O in Dodgeball on the right. I was never super happy with this one so I thought 7th place was lucky for what was  a safe bet of a logo, especially since the competition for this event was really diverse and inspired.

0TSoY0h.jpg?1

Event 9

I really loved the theme for this event, so much creativity to be had since most of those old CFL logos are hideous. I personally think someone could make a great series based off this idea, but I digress. I chose the Gold Miners, great name, horrible logo. I based my design of the gold rush, (no duh), with a miner who looks like someone just stole his canteen, holding a golden football he just panned. The unis were basic in hindsight, but I wanted a vintage classic feel as well as some western influence, seen in the font I used. I loved how this one turned out, but alas, votes were scarce. (Although OMG these entries were gor-geous.)

IRS3DBV.jpg?1

Event 10

I'm not sure how I feel about the turnout for the last event, I liked the look of the numbers, but i don't think the rest really came together, just too many colors. I need C&C on this one especially.

raDwpsR.jpg?1

Thanks for your advice and feedback on my entries in this year's 'Lympiad guys, I was thrilled to place where I did, but I see a ton of room where I can improve and grow. That's what make it such a great tool!

Lz5f6vZ.png

Archived