NHL in Houston

Ark

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Ark said:

There are rumors that the NHL will expand to Houston because the new owner of the Rockets is interested in a Houston NHL team.

DOxkCGsUQAE66Iu.jpg

Is the Houston Aeros a no-brainer?

thehowes.jpg

CkmMEAfUkAAjI4W.jpg

14c80a0273fd4495e15bbbd000ae81d9--bruins

Love that “Howe & Sons” retro look. But it might look out of place in an arena drenched in Rocket Red.

No surprise but a bid for hockey in the largest media market without a team would have it’s supporters...

NYCdog.png

1 hour ago, Ark said:

Is the Houston Aeros a no-brainer?

Yeah, if you expect the NHL to thrive in a sprawling hellscape of humidity and concrete famous for cough-syrup-based rap music, yeah, you don't have a brain.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If it happens, I would rather they come up with a new name, rather than one that had been associated with a minor league team for 19 years.  We don't always need to take a ride in the DeLorean and go back in time and grab a name from the past.  It's one thing if the Aeros actually played in the NHL, but they played in a wannabe league that only lasted 7 seasons, then came back as a minor league team.  Why not start something completely fresh?  

21 minutes ago, M4One said:

If it happens, I would rather they come up with a new name, rather than one that had been associated with a minor league team for 19 years.  We don't always need to take a ride in the DeLorean and go back in time and grab a name from the past.  It's one thing if the Aeros actually played in the NHL, but they played in a wannabe league that only lasted 7 seasons, then came back as a minor league team.  Why not start something completely fresh?  

We could... but would it bother you that much if they ended up being the Aeros? It is a cool name. Be a shame if it went to waste.

No, Aeros isn’t a no brainer. Despite being a popular name around these boards, I think a new name would be put in place. As a Houstonian, I can tell you most people who don’t follow hockey but love sports would tell you they don’t know who the Aeros were or the significance of their name. The AHL team drew well, but the NHL team would target fans who love sports but don’t have a team. I would go with a red and light blue color scheme to counter the Star’s “victory green”.

The Toyota Center is all red. Everything about it is red, seats and everything. It would look bad to have a team with a blue based scheme. 

1 hour ago, Cardsblues02 said:

The Toyota Center is all red. Everything about it is red, seats and everything. It would look bad to have a team with a blue based scheme. 

They could go with the name to honor the past but change the colors to red and black.Perfect if the Carolina Hurricanes decide to move west.

You know what, this should happen. I've always thought of leagues with an odd number of teams to be...well, odd.

If Dallas can be a hockey market, I think Houston might be and even better one. Plus, since Fertitta already owns the arena there won't be any rent disputes like what happened to the old Aeros.

Honestly, Houston deserved a team before Vegas, Phoenix, Miami, and (I hate to say this as a Canes fan) especially Raleigh.

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

29 minutes ago, ChicagoOakland said:

If Dallas can be a hockey market, I think Houston might be and even better one.

Based on anything in particular? All I see is everything bad about Atlanta but worse.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived