Ark

NHL in Houston

Recommended Posts

There are rumors that the NHL will expand to Houston because the new owner of the Rockets is interested in a Houston NHL team.

 

DOxkCGsUQAE66Iu.jpg

 

Is the Houston Aeros a no-brainer?

 

thehowes.jpg

 

CkmMEAfUkAAjI4W.jpg

 

14c80a0273fd4495e15bbbd000ae81d9--bruins

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They could now that the AHL Aeros became the Iowa Wild.  If I remember correctly they always drew well, but they were unable to reach a lease deal with the Toyota Center which resulted in the move to Des Moines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Ark said:

There are rumors that the NHL will expand to Houston because the new owner of the Rockets is interested in a Houston NHL team.

 

DOxkCGsUQAE66Iu.jpg

 

Is the Houston Aeros a no-brainer?

 

thehowes.jpg

 

CkmMEAfUkAAjI4W.jpg

 

14c80a0273fd4495e15bbbd000ae81d9--bruins

 

 

 

Love that “Howe & Sons” retro look. But it might look out of place in an arena drenched in Rocket Red.

 

No surprise but a bid for hockey in the largest media market without a team would have it’s supporters...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ark said:

Is the Houston Aeros a no-brainer?

Yeah, if you expect the NHL to thrive in a sprawling hellscape of humidity and concrete famous for cough-syrup-based rap music, yeah, you don't have a brain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it happens, I would rather they come up with a new name, rather than one that had been associated with a minor league team for 19 years.  We don't always need to take a ride in the DeLorean and go back in time and grab a name from the past.  It's one thing if the Aeros actually played in the NHL, but they played in a wannabe league that only lasted 7 seasons, then came back as a minor league team.  Why not start something completely fresh?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, M4One said:

If it happens, I would rather they come up with a new name, rather than one that had been associated with a minor league team for 19 years.  We don't always need to take a ride in the DeLorean and go back in time and grab a name from the past.  It's one thing if the Aeros actually played in the NHL, but they played in a wannabe league that only lasted 7 seasons, then came back as a minor league team.  Why not start something completely fresh?  

 

We could... but would it bother you that much if they ended up being the Aeros? It is a cool name. Be a shame if it went to waste.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jerseyjunk said:

Can't call them Aeros when you already got the Astros 

You have the Mets, Jets, and Nets in the greater New York area. Pretty sure the Aeros and Astros could work just fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, Aeros isn’t a no brainer. Despite being a popular name around these boards, I think a new name would be put in place. As a Houstonian, I can tell you most people who don’t follow hockey but love sports would tell you they don’t know who the Aeros were or the significance of their name. The AHL team drew well, but the NHL team would target fans who love sports but don’t have a team. I would go with a red and light blue color scheme to counter the Star’s “victory green”.

 

The Toyota Center is all red. Everything about it is red, seats and everything. It would look bad to have a team with a blue based scheme. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cardsblues02 said:

 

The Toyota Center is all red. Everything about it is red, seats and everything. It would look bad to have a team with a blue based scheme. 

They could go with the name to honor the past but change the colors to red and black.Perfect if the Carolina Hurricanes decide to move west.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think the color scheme of the arena should matter. The NHL team will likely be owned by Fertitta, who owns the arena. He could easily tweak things to accommodate both teams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't care if it's expansion or relocation or what... but I've wanted a Dallas/Houston rivalry for years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lenny Dykstra said:

The NHL shouldnt have expanded to 26 31 let alone 32

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know what, this should happen. I've always thought of leagues with an odd number of teams to be...well, odd.

If Dallas can be a hockey market, I think Houston might be and even better one. Plus, since Fertitta already owns the arena there won't be any rent disputes like what happened to the old Aeros.

Honestly, Houston deserved a team before Vegas, Phoenix, Miami, and (I hate to say this as a Canes fan) especially Raleigh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, ChicagoOakland said:

If Dallas can be a hockey market, I think Houston might be and even better one.

 

Based on anything in particular? All I see is everything bad about Atlanta but worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now