Formula 1 new logo

pepis21

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These all feel like first drafts of ideas rather than finessed finalized logos. None of them are particularly inspiring concepts except MAYBE the first, track-based one. The wordmark on all of them seem really oddly placed and the font choices are pretty questionable as well.(Not that the current one is any better) The one thing the current logo does have going for it and that makes it iconic is its use of negative space, so it's strange that they chose to abandoned that all together. 

2043050vl19qK6.gif

thats a shame because theres such a clever idea in the current logo and the others are built purely on aesthetic. well, there does seem to be the right personality in all 3 options and they seem to be inspired by the cars wings or tracks or a general sense of movement. but they lack wit. i would love to have seen the current logo tweaked, mainly the red speed lines. the typography is . . . i cant even  .

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

3 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

thats a shame because theres such a clever idea in the current logo and the others are built purely on aesthetic. well, there does seem to be the right personality in all 3 options and they seem to be inspired by the cars wings or tracks or a general sense of movement. but they lack wit. i would love to have seen the current logo tweaked, mainly the red speed lines. the typography is . . . i cant even  .

I pretty much agree.  The only thing the current logo could have used was different execution of the red block.

I feel like the first two were created to render option #3 the obvious choice. 

Downgrade.  At least make the 1 red.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

13 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

7 hours ago, missouri tigers said:

KFnTK5P.png

Something like this would be preferable, keeping the same iconic F1 monogram while simplifying and upgrading the clunky type. 

I think the current one is fine (and this cleaned up version really pumps the craftsmanship up), but personally, I don’t see wit in a negative space letter. It’s been done so many times and has no specificity to the sport (not that it needs to, but if it can be done...)

The track one for me is smart. It’s elegant, fun, natural, not so serious, and you can instantly look at it and see racetrack. Specifically racetrack. Not speed, motion, movement or some other ambiguous design cliché. Just racetrack. The aesthetic is also very international, whereas the current one always felt “Americanized” with the motion lines, italics, and absolutely horrendous typography.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

It's a big shame. The old logo is absolutely iconic and probably one of the most well known logos in the world period. Of the three choices the one that apparently got the nod is the best of the bunch. But I will surely miss the classic logo.

Having said that. There are much bigger problems in F1 that Liberty Media must fix, the logo wasn't one of them.

11 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I think the current one is fine (and this cleaned up version really pumps the craftsmanship up), but personally, I don’t see wit in a negative space letter. It’s been done so many times and has no specificity to the sport (not that it needs to, but if it can be done...)

The track one for me is smart. It’s elegant, fun, natural, not so serious, and you can instantly look at it and see racetrack. Specifically racetrack. Not speed, motion, movement or some other ambiguous design cliché. Just racetrack. The aesthetic is also very international, whereas the current one always felt “Americanized” with the motion lines, italics, and absolutely horrendous typography.

i think its clever not because fusing an F and 1 together is easy, even natural in this case, but because for the viewer there has to be a moment of discovery. i was reading a thread on reddit recently where fans of F1 who followed the sport for decades were just realizing the 1 is the negative space, not the red shape. however long it takes, once you make that discovery its like solving a puzzle and it's hard not to like a logo like that. because you sense this design was carefully thought about and not just thrown together like maybe the 2nd option in the OP is— its mostly an F1 just sitting next to each other.

for the track option, "elegance" is the first word i would use for that as well; and that makes me not like it a little. F1 just redesigned the cars to be about 4 seconds faster around most tracks and designed the wings/bodies to look more aggressive. they're re-doing the power plants just to sound louder/higher. though elegance and pageantry of F1 is important, i dont feel like that logo is quite in the spirit of F1. i do like what MissouriTigers did though; that icon now has the right combination of boldness and elegance that i would like to see in an F1 logo.  

GRAPHIC ARTIST

27 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

i think its clever not because fusing an F and 1 together is easy, even natural in this case, but because for the viewer there has to be a moment of discovery. i was reading a thread on reddit recently where fans of F1 who followed the sport for decades were just realizing the 1 is the negative space, not the red shape. however long it takes, once you make that discovery its like solving a puzzle and it's hard not to like a logo like that. because you sense this design was carefully thought about and not just thrown together like maybe the 2nd option in the OP is— its mostly an F1 just sitting next to each other.

for the track option, "elegance" is the first word i would use for that as well; and that makes me not like it a little. F1 just redesigned the cars to be about 4 seconds faster around most tracks and designed the wings/bodies to look more aggressive. they're re-doing the power plants just to sound louder/higher. though elegance and pageantry of F1 is important, i dont feel like that logo is quite in the spirit of F1. i do like what MissouriTigers did though; that icon now has the right combination of boldness and elegance that i would like to see in an F1 logo.  

I definitely agree about the moment of discovery, but I’d also contend that it exists in the track logo. It definitely reads as a track first and F1 second, especially for a non-designer.

To me, elegance in the F1 logo is apppropriate because it’s always been positioned as the most urbane, sophisticated racing organization, with tracks in cities all over the world, at beautiful locales, all focused on technical driving as much, if not more than raw speed. It doesn’t have to, nor should it, lower itself to tropes that appeal to Americans notorious for their own brand of bad taste, in my opinion (not that the current logo does this overtly, but it’s closer to that aesthetic than is comfortable for me).

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

2 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

To me, elegance in the F1 logo is apppropriate because it’s always been positioned as the most urbane, sophisticated racing organization, with tracks in cities all over the world, at beautiful locales, all focused on technical driving as much, if not more than raw speed. It doesn’t have to, nor should it, lower itself to tropes that appeal to Americans notorious for their own brand of bad taste, in my opinion (not that the current logo does this overtly, but it’s closer to that aesthetic than is comfortable for me).

i like all that— i just think it needs a touch of boldness to it. the flowing, track-like option to me feels too delicate, maybe more appropriate for Formula-E. there is something that is "low powered" about it. id love to see it with a bolder line weight, though that might shift the balance of elegance and boldness to a better point in my mind. i think its important because F1 isn't just technical driving; its physical, difficult, dangerous, and aggressive. when i look at whatever this logo ends up being, as a fan, i want just a touch of visual sense that reminds me what i feel, hear, and smell at the track. something that blends the podium pageantry with Lewis Hamilton being winded while communicating over the radio (Catalunya).

GRAPHIC ARTIST

2 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

i like all that— i just think it needs a touch of boldness to it. the flowing, track-like option to me feels too delicate, maybe more appropriate for Formula-E. there is something that is "low powered" about it. id love to see it with a bolder line weight, though that might shift the balance of elegance and boldness to a better point in my mind. i think its important because F1 isn't just technical driving; its physical, difficult, dangerous, and aggressive. when i look at whatever this logo ends up being, as a fan, i want just a touch of visual sense that reminds me what i feel, hear, and smell at the track. something that blends the podium pageantry with Lewis Hamilton being winded while communicating over the radio (Catalunya).

That makes more sense. I can get behind it.

Archived