Los Angeles Clippers Rebrand (Primary Logo, C&C needed)

flyersfan

Hello!

long time lurker, semi-frequent poster. So this is my first real computer logo. Go easy on the "this line isn't perfectly parallel" or "this line isn't a perfect curve" but I'd like to hear all kinds of other C&C on this clippers rebrand I'm working on, good or bad. All I have is the primary logo but I'm planning on making secondary and tertiary logos, as well as a wordmark and some uniforms, but I wanted to make sure this logo is nailed before I continue to the rest.

So this was done in Microsoft Paint, (yes, I know) but its the only program I know how to use, and I've tried inkscape but its a work in progress. I started with a drawing in a notebook, took a picture of it, traced it into paint and made it into the images you can see below. 

The colors of the team are to be the largest squares in the top corner, as in Powder Blue and Red, with Navy, Copper, and White secondary colors. I think the colors I picked below are the best for the logo itself, but if there is a suggestion please let me hear it!

Enjoy and please leave all kinds of C&C!

2O0S5sh.jpg7f7dKAD.jpg

flMruPW.jpg

ApHK2js.jpg

9sPJA2e.jpg

gGdPSdm.jpg

lVHpMOd.jpg

IBhZeEE.jpg

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

So I'm giving this a bump, still need some kind of comments & criticism, but here's my idea of a secondary logo! tell me if you guys like version A or B better!

A: Red L, Blue A

CxLvDMT.png

B: Blue L, Red A

9P5xE0R.png

And here is the outline/two-tone version of this logo

DdnOXFZ.png

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

I think that you have a very good start here, especially since this is your first vector concept and you're using paint. I love the idea you've put forth but a few things from my inexperienced mind: 

Some of the lines that are meant to have flow come to points at certain places in the logo (the waves, which should be wavy have some random corners).

The log itself has a sort of jagged feel to it, probably because of the points on the parts of the logo which are meant to be rounded. 

I love what you've got here though, keep learning Inkscape, it'll be a life changer. Keep up the god work!

spacer.png

the main problem i see is that you drew a generic pirate ship and decided to shoehorn clipper branding on it.

i dont read this as a clipper ship; its got arrr matey pirate galleon/carrack lines to it.

clippers never had an elevated poop (rear) deck cause they were built for speed. beyond that i couldnt tell you if the sails were accurate or not. im not sure of the functions of the lines on the ship either. its not detail so i guess their there to infuse an abstract vibe? movement lines? id take a cue from your successful water elements.

the 2nddary logo.....the main mast is basically a log, but on the primary its a stiletto knife shape. no uniformity? either way no rigging or observation platforms. not a complete dealbreaker, but if you wanna go minimalist you need to sell the impression that the mast and the sail are a unit, not one thing superimposed on another.  btw why would we be looking down at the sail (since we can see the blunt top of the mast)....was the attempt to inject volume into the element worth it? (at the expense of ones usual viewing angle being below the sails)

in a world where the clips were actually wearing nautical signal flags on the side of their shorts that spell out the team name... its the details that count.

and well you asked for C&C hotdamnit ^_^

You've got a great start here, but as the others have said, it still feels more like an illustration than a logo. Here's a couple of steps I'd recommend to take it to the next level, in no particular order.

1) Smooth your curves. Try to use as few curves and points as possible when you're drawing a logo, while still expressing your meaning clearly. Using Inkscape would help with this tremendously, as its pen tool is far more powerful than Paint's line tool.

2) Work on the waves. The variance in the space between the waves is bringing the logo down a bit, I'd make the negative space a smooth curve, with a consistent width. 

3) Cut down on colors. I count 11? colors in the logo, which is too many. Cut down on the shades of browns and blues specifically to make the logo simpler.

4) Make your linework thicker and bolder, the key thing that separates a logo from a sketch or illustration is thick outlines around your shapes. This is an area where Inkscape will be more helpful than Paint. Upping the thickness of your border, and making the masts and flags bolder will make your mark stronger.

5) Clean up shading/highlighting. You've got it all in the right places, but it could use some cleaning up. The lines on the bottom of the boat seem sort of tacked on, I'd cut it down to 2-3 thicker stripes that are a shape rather than just a line, have the thickness taper off at the end and then come to a point. Think like this. Also, I don't think you need a border between all of your shading, especially on the "inside" of the ship. Just putting the two colors next to one another should be enough to get your meaning across.

6) Reduce empty space/Add a background. It's no fault of yours, but any drawing of a ship will feature plenty of empty space between the sails and the actual ship. One way to fix this would be to add a shield or rondel in the background. I'd recommend making the background smaller than the actual ship, so the front, back, and maybe the sails, would be sticking out. Putting in this shape would also help the logo to look better on a variety of color backgrounds without having to recolor things.

Archived