Spike TV New Look New Name

DCarp1231

7 hours ago, EddieJ1984 said:

Yea mostly watched it in its The National Network days, well from when it had ECW (and rollerjam!) and then WWF Raw.

Didn't Rollerjam get real weird and become like wrestling with some sort of baby daddy drama at some point? Am I imagining that? 

12 hours ago, panthers_2012 said:

Fun fact-Freeform/ABC Family lost the rights to Harry Potter and the rights will be transferred to HBO on January 1, 2018. There goes the bi-monthly Harry Potter weekend on Freeform/ABC Family. 

Its more that WB, who released the HP movies, owns HBO, and we are in an age were all these companies are trying to keep their assets on stuff they own.  Its why a lot of TV stuff is moving from Netflix to Hulu because Universal, Disney, Fox all have some financial stake in that. 

On 12/1/2017 at 10:52 AM, kmccarthy27 said:

Its more that WB, who released the HP movies, owns HBO, and we are in an age were all these companies are trying to keep their assets on stuff they own.  Its why a lot of TV stuff is moving from Netflix to Hulu because Universal, Disney, Fox all have some financial stake in that. 

Ultimately, I'm afraid of each studio/channel ending up having their own streaming service, meaning one would have to subscribe to CBS/Showtime, ABC/Disney, Fox, NBC/Universal, HBO, ad nauseum....

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

On 12/1/2017 at 3:27 PM, shark said:

Good to see the new logo attempted to get the number of stars right with the mountain.

As long as they're judicious with rights to some of the old UPN sitcom gems.

Shasta McNasty!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

When a station gets a "new look" and "new name", isn't it basically a whole new station?

Meaning, is it really a "rebrand" as much as it is the parent company dumping one brand and starting a whole new one?

I get it that with sports teams we care about things like lineage and will argue to the death that the Baltimore Ravens really are the Cleveland Browns, but with TV channels does anyone care that Paramount is the same station as the one that carried WWE wrestling 15 years ago?  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

10 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

When a station gets a "new look" and "new name", isn't it basically a whole new station?

Meaning, is it really a "rebrand" as much as it is the parent company dumping one brand and starting a whole new one?

I get it that with sports teams we care about things like lineage and will argue to the death that the Baltimore Ravens really are the Cleveland Browns, but with TV channels does anyone care that Paramount is the same station as the one that carried WWE wrestling 15 years ago?  

That's an interesting question. The big one that comes to mind is the NBC Sports Network, previously Versus, previously the Outdoor Life Network. Landing the NHL (admittedly not so much landing the NHL as having the NHL wash up at their feet) forced the channel to put a more generalized sports brand around what was now their largest property, and Comcast buying NBC gave them access to the NBC Sports brand...but in all this time, it's never really stopped being a lousy third-rate sports channel with fishing shows and car auctions on it. None of the name changes ever accompanied a full-throated reimagining of the channel, just tweaks and tucks here and there, little bumpers telling you "x is now y," some rights packages went away as other ones came in. I know Extremely Online NHL fans like to rip NBCSN for still being OLN at heart because not being on ESPN is another symbol of our league's inferiority (this strikes me as funny because the Extremely Online to a person despise ESPN and would self-flagellate over that too -- we are the unhappiest sports fans in the world), but...is it? Kinda? Sorta? I dunno. I barely even watch TV.

Spike used to have a show called "Manswers" that answered questions for men like "how much force does it take to pop a sillicon breast implant?!?!?!". My college roommate killed me one night when it came on and he said "finally, a TV show for men!". 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

My college roommate killed me one night when it came on and he said "finally, a TV show for men!". 

Unwitting real-life Simpsons jokes are one of life's small pleasures.

Archived