Teams with similar colors as the Houston Oilers?

Stevemealone

On 12/3/2017 at 12:17 PM, Ark said:

The Tennessee Oilers!

nov-1997-quarterback-steve-mcnair-of-the dec-1998-wide-receiver-kevin-dyson-of-th

They should still be the Oilers today.

Right.  If nicknames names that do not match their location names such as the Los Angeles Dodgers, the Los Angeles Lakers, and the ever-popular Utah Jazz are considered acceptable, then the Tennessee Oilers could certainly have remained.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Right.  If nicknames names that do not match their location names such as the Los Angeles Dodgers, the Los Angeles Lakers, and the ever-popular Utah Jazz are considered acceptable, then the Tennessee Oilers could certainly have remained.

Big difference is that teams like the Lakers, Dodgers, and Jazz happened in the 60s and 70s.  Oilers moved in 1998 when new branding was a more popular option.

The Houston Oilers is a classic franchise with a classic identity. If the Memphis Grizzlies are a team, then the Tennessee Oilers should definitely still be a team. 

And who thought the Tennessee Titans would be better for branding than the Tennessee Oilers?

• 2 months later...
On 12/5/2017 at 11:58 AM, Lenny Dykstra said:

Lighting in the picture might be weird, but Ole Miss had powder blue helmets for about 40 years. 

They were brought back recently. 

ole-miss-powder-blue-helmets.jpg

Sorry if you already knew this, but I thought it was close enough colors to be mentioned

Ole Miss is close, but it's darker than the Houston Oilers.

On 12/6/2017 at 9:37 AM, AstroBull21 said:

Big difference is that teams like the Lakers, Dodgers, and Jazz happened in the 60s and 70s.  Oilers moved in 1998 when new branding was a more popular option.

The issue is that Bud Adams was clueless. Nothing to do with branding, he just had no idea what he was doing.

bSLCtu2.png

2 hours ago, AgentColon2 said:

67d1e2c3ee72f73d72ad5628210b3708--baseba

also this prototype unused white sox uniform

whitesoxprototypes.jpg

1.  I always think of the top uniform as representing a red and white team that happened to wear powder blue road uniforms.  If you treat the powder blue as a team color, you have to include these as well.

artpp-os01-130170_l_prodimage.jpg

2.  I think the uniform on the bottom left is powder blue and orange.

EDIT -- @rjrrzube is right.  It's more aqua than powder blue.

BONUS -- Is that Goose Gossage in the top picture?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

5 minutes ago, johnnysama said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSr2v3LfDaLJJCMT6huYXM

How could we have gone three straight pages w/o mentioning the 1970s/80s Phillies road suits?

3 hours ago, leopard88 said:

1.  I always think of the top uniform as representing a red and white team that happened to wear powder blue road uniforms.  If you treat the powder blue as a team color, you have to include these as well.

artpp-os01-130170_l_prodimage.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

To add to the point about the Phillies and Cardinals, both teams switched later to grey road uniforms that were otherwise identical to the powder blue ones.  That suggests to me that neither team thought of powder blue as a team color (at least at the time)*.

mike-schmidt.png?w=400&h=225&crop=1ozzie-smith-1.jpg

* -- The Phillies have started marketing merchandise in powder blue and maroon.  However, this seems to me to be historical revisionism, at best.

hwl?set=sku%5B20822042%5D,c%5B2%5D,w%5B4images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTcVe2mL_kzjzDAAtBuPp

25 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

* -- The Phillies have started marketing merchandise in powder blue and maroon.  However, this seems to me to be historical revisionism, at best.

I’d say it’s excusable, given that maroon/powder is such an excellent color combination that’s underused in North American sports.

1 minute ago, SFGiants58 said:

I’d say it’s excusable, given that maroon/powder is such an excellent color combination that’s underused in North American sports.

I actually agree with you on that.  The colors look great together.  I just don't think the Phillies thought of powder blue as a team color in the 70s and 80s.

To that end, I would guess that they never sold any powder blue merchandise then other than replica road jerseys (assuming they sold replica road jerseys then).

On 12/6/2017 at 11:26 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Agreed, and it’s not like there is any titans in Tennessee 

Excellent!

4 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Unpopular opinion - the '89-'91 gray/maroon Phillies roads > the blue Phillies roads.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Unpopular opinion - the '89-'91 gray/maroon Phillies roads > the blue Phillies roads.

Super unpopular opinion:

The current Phillies home/away blows away ANY of their previous looks*

*if the stripes were sewn it,would be the best. Still fantastic

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Archived