North American Pro Soccer 2018

Gothamite

14 minutes ago, Corvus said:

Not qualifying for a world cup is one thing, but they'd have to be worse than 10+ other nations in the region to get relegated. That isn't happening. 

We’re Americans.  We can do anything we set our minds to - just watch us!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

It's been brought to my attention that there's some drama with DC United regarding the new stadium and all but one of it's supporter groups.

My understanding is that it actually has little to do with the stadium; they’ve designated one supporters’ group as the official outlet for all ticket sales, including away.  Other SGs have to buy from them. 

And, of course, since most SGs have a strong component of “does not play well with others”, the other SGs promptly lost their :censored:.  But I don’t know enough of the specific details among them. 

5-1. What a win. As shaky at times as LAFC looked last week, today they clearly looked like the better side. Just a dominant performance all around.

Shame the next game isn't until the 31st, but that'll be the first game in LA for LAFC and the first LA Derby in our history. Can't wait.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

1 hour ago, Rockstar Matt said:

5-1. What a win. As shaky at times as LAFC looked last week, today they clearly looked like the better side. Just a dominant performance all around.

Shame the next game isn't until the 31st, but that'll be the first game in LA for LAFC and the first LA Derby in our history. Can't wait.

I only saw the score, but what a way to start franchise. Two road wins, one over the best team in the west and the other a whalloping. Nice work LAFC.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

That Sporting KC game was nuts. SKC was up 2-0 then gave up three-straight goals in 12 minutes. And then scored two-straight in a three minute span to win. That's five second-half goals. Plus, we're no longer on pace to lose every game 2-0 anymore. 

16 hours ago, Gothamite said:

My understanding is that it actually has little to do with the stadium; they’ve designated one supporters’ group as the official outlet for all ticket sales, including away.  Other SGs have to buy from them. 

And, of course, since most SGs have a strong component of “does not play well with others”, the other SGs promptly lost their :censored:.  But I don’t know enough of the specific details among them. 

DC United has yet to make any sort of official comment on the situation. I have not been able to find any sort of unbiased explanation of what's going on. Luckily DCU has until July to fix whatever the problem is before they play their first true home game of the season

Hotter Than July > Thriller

DC United laid it out this way:

D.C. United, DC SCORES and supporter group, the Screaming Eagles, have announced a strategic partnership uniting a shared passion for enriching the communities in the District through sport.

The Black-and-Red and the Screaming Eagles will work closely together to encourage a robust, welcoming, and passionate supporters’ culture both inside and outside Audi Field.

The Screaming Eagles aim to implement a D.C. United Supporter Development Academy prior to the inaugural match at Audi Field in an effort to reach new fans and introduce them to the customs and traditions of D.C. United supporter culture.

The partnership will extend outside the stadium as well as the Screaming Eagles will deepen their already strong relationship with DC SCORES, the official charitable partner of D.C. United. Together, the three organizations will work to serve the youth of Washington, D.C., by kindling a passion for soccer through supporting neighborhood teams that give kids the confidence to succeed on the playing field, in the classroom, and in life.

As part of the partnership, The Screaming Eagles will take the lead role to manage all aspects of the supporter culture including single game supporter tickets sales for both home and road matches as well as organizing all activities and in-game fan experiences in the north end zone, in an effort to further unite the Black-and-Red supporter base that established the benchmark for U.S. soccer supporter culture in the early years of Major League Soccer.

https://www.dcunited.com/supporters/clubs

So it’s not season tickets, only single-game. 

And anyone paying attention could have told them that it wouldn’t unite the supporter base, it would fracture it.  The only thing most SGs hate more than rival clubs is their own club’s other SGs. 

4 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

I see... Well like I said before there's a DCU until July to fix this issue. Or at least come to some sort of compromise.

They’re having road games before July, though.

Yes, it would be better to get it totally sorted before the new stadium opens.  But that doesn’t mean there isn’t an ongoing problem in the meantime.  

The only thing worse than internecine warfare is internecine warfare among niche groups that are completely unsympathetic.

I get that clubs exist for a reason, but if your goal is watch soccer, go watch soccer. It shouldn't need to be under the guise of "DC CREW!" or "UNITED BROS" or "SWAMP DRAINERZ" or whatever. And even if it is, they have to understand that soccer clubs exist for more than the "ultras." Especially since those groups generally have cheaper tickets (at least that's the case for Emerald City Supporters with the Sounders). Do they really think teams are going to broker deals with each individual supporter group?

I wasn't able to catch many of the games yesterday, but it looks like they were all pretty exciting. It's been a great start to MLS this season, with LAFC looking good, early CCL success, and more SSS opening.

One more observation: I didn't realize Zardes left Galaxy, but he definitely needed to. Glad to see him regaining his touch with a new team. He had a lot of early success that I thought may have just been from playing with Donovan and Keane (still likely), but his drop-off last year was sad to watch.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

https://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2018/3/13/17114146/mls-liga-mx-partnership-campeones-cup-all-star-game

So no more European clubs vs MLS All Stars or a second All Star Game later or earlier in the year? The champions of Liga MX playing the MLS champs in September will be interesting. After this year it will probably occur in a "Nations Cup/League" week so as to not affect qualifying for the World Cup. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 minute ago, MJWalker45 said:

https://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2018/3/13/17114146/mls-liga-mx-partnership-campeones-cup-all-star-game

So no more European clubs vs MLS All Stars or a second All Star Game later or earlier in the year? The champions of Liga MX playing the MLS champs in September will be interesting. After this year it will probably occur in a "Nations Cup/League" week so as to not affect qualifying for the World Cup. 

Also see: Tigres vs TFC in the CCL tonight. lol. 

Honestly, I don't care what kind of "cup" you call it, it's still just a friendly. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I guess this is the follow-up to Superliga that they decided on. Trying to do our own mini-Champions League makes no sense, especially since Concacaf handed them automatic bids in the quarterfinals. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Watching DC United play a "home" game at what's pretty much a youth soccer park was interesting. Kinda makes me want to see other pro sports play at game at a youth level facility.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

34 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Watching DC United play a "home" game at what's pretty much a youth soccer park was interesting. Kinda makes me want to see other pro sports play at game at a youth level facility.

Seattle plays all of their US Open Cup games at the Starfire soccer complex, which is very similar to what DC was doing today. It's an interesting look, for sure.

Archived