North American Pro Soccer 2018

Gothamite

43 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Really? A third of the NWSL, most indoor pro football (or semi pro), and semipro soccee play in prep-like facilities

Guess I should have said major leagues. Like watching an NBA game played at a rec center gym.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Seattle plays all of their US Open Cup games at the Starfire soccer complex, which is very similar to what DC was doing today. It's an interesting look, for sure.

DC United would only play MLS games at RFK. Any other competition has usually been play at the Maryland Soccer Plex. Today was the first time I actually saw a DCU game at the soccer plex live. Would think once Audi Field opens all DCU game will be played there.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

1 hour ago, Shumway said:

Nothing much to add to MLS discussion, but I went to my first ever game today (Union vs. Crew). It was a 0-0 tie, but it was a pretty cool experience. 

How is that Union stadium? it looks nice on TV, but I've heard less-than-stellar things about getting there.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

How is that Union stadium? it looks nice on TV, but I've heard less-than-stellar things about getting there.

The stadium is really nice, but it's in an absolute dump of a town. Chester, PA was and may still be the town with the highest crime rate in the state. As soon as you get off the exit, it's pretty sketchy with boarded up buildings...I definitely wouldn't want to walk anywhere around there. Luckily the parking lots and stadium are kind of contained in one area by the water, which isn't too bad. The view inside the stadium is really nice with the river and bridges in the background, and the concourse was clean. I'd definitely recommend checking out a Union game, but I'd also recommend staying somewhere (literally anywhere) other than Chester.

2 hours ago, Shumway said:

The stadium is really nice, but it's in an absolute dump of a town. Chester, PA was and may still be the town with the highest crime rate in the state. As soon as you get off the exit, it's pretty sketchy with boarded up buildings...I definitely wouldn't want to walk anywhere around there. Luckily the parking lots and stadium are kind of contained in one area by the water, which isn't too bad. The view inside the stadium is really nice with the river and bridges in the background, and the concourse was clean. I'd definitely recommend checking out a Union game, but I'd also recommend staying somewhere (literally anywhere) other than Chester.

I've been to several games so I can attest to this. Stay by the stadium when in Chester. The stadium itself is beautiful with the Commodore Barry Bridge serving as a background.

Good news for the Loons: They have a winning record for the first time in their MLS history after a flawed but solid showing in their home opener vs. Chicago Fire.

Bad news: Their next two games (at RBNY, then home to AUFC) look to be considerably harder to get points from.

More bad news: Playmaker Kevin Molino is done for the year with a torn left ACL suffered in the Orlando City game (he's now had that injury in both his knees).

More good news: Adrian Heath is reportedly flying down to Panama midweek to watch and possibly meet with Colombian striker/wingman Darwin Quintero, who could soon become the club's first DP signing (having whiffed on Quintero's countryman Nico Benedetti a few weeks ago). That things are far enough along for Heath to fly down there during a game week suggests he's serious about bringing him to Minnesota, and has been well before Molino's injury.

CCSLC signature.png

On 3/17/2018 at 5:35 PM, 4_tattoos said:

Watching DC United play a "home" game at what's pretty much a youth soccer park was interesting. Kinda makes me want to see other pro sports play at game at a youth level facility.

The only Revolution games I've gone to the past couple of years are their US Open Cup home games at the 5000-capacity Harvard University soccer stadium. Gotta say, I much prefer the cozy, minor-league feel (and not having to schlep to the exurbs, obviously).

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

On 3/19/2018 at 10:36 AM, Digby said:

The only Revolution games I've gone to the past couple of years are their US Open Cup home games at the 5000-capacity Harvard University soccer stadium. Gotta say, I much prefer the cozy, minor-league feel (and not having to schlep to the exurbs, obviously).

Weren't they supposed to share a new stadium before that fell through? I really think for the Revolution a 15,000-20,000 seat stadium closer to Boston would improve their prospects in the league. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

20 hours ago, Pharos04 said:

I already knew it was Juventus, but why not just say that?

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

4 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I already knew it was Juventus, but why not just say that?

Congrats to you.  Maybe not everyone knew that.  Maybe they'd like to read the write up from the League. Maybe look at the link I provided which has it in the URL.

2 minutes ago, Pharos04 said:

Congrats to you.  Maybe not everyone knew that.  Maybe they'd like to read the write up from the League. Maybe look at the link I provided which has it in the URL.

I'm saying, why clickbait it? Why not say "MLS will play Juventus in the All-Star game. Read for more:___"

We're all in this together. Let's save each other some unnecessary clicks.

https://www.statesman.com/sports/pro-sports/council-passes-resolution-directing-staff-for-mckalla-place-analysis/W9g0k19RkH5p0su2h9QszK/

Austin is going forward with requesting research be done by the city manager on McKalla Place. I had hoped they'd require PSV to actually do it but I think they needed to ensure there's no bias attached to the findings. 

“Now we’ve got a resolution directing both the city staff and Precourt to get down to work,” said PSV and MLS lobbyist Richard Suttle. “It’s going to take both of us a lot of time and a lot of hard work to get the analysis done. We look forward to it, and we’re excited about it.”

The resolution set a deadline of June 1 for the city manager’s report, and the Council discussion yielded several changes from the original draft put forth by Tovo. The resolution was co-sponsored by Mayor Steve Adler and council members Leslie Pool, Sabino ‘Pio’ Renteria and Ann Kitchen."

I hope it takes that long to get put together but I don't think that will be the case. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The league won't let LA finish so low again. I wonder what the rule is that they made up to ensure that Zlatan went to LA.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

1 hour ago, CRichardson said:

The league won't let LA finish so low again. I wonder what the rule is that they made up to ensure that Zlatan went to LA.

Zlatan wants to go to LA, the only rule they needed. He'll want to prove he's bigger and better than Beckham so of course he has to go to the Galaxy. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived