North American Pro Soccer 2018

Gothamite

46 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

What a lucky, flukey goal, but I’ll take it!

LAFC was by far the better team in the last 30 minutes after a first half in which I thought Seattle was better. 

Let’s go. 15 points through our first 7 games. I know it’s early, but we’re showing that we’re a team to be taken seriously this season.

One last thought: Dempsey looks hella old. Sad to see, especially to one of the all-time great American players. 

He's been involved in top level soccer for more than 15 years, yeah it's catching up to him. It's always sad at the end no matter who the player is. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Dilbert said:

Great weekend for FC Cincinnati. A 3-0 win at Ottawa yesterday, and Kenny Walkers goal from midfield was number 1 on SportsCenters Top 10.

Jeff Berding and Carl Lindner III were at the LAFC game tonight (likely taking notes for their new stadium) as guests of the Don Garber. They supposedly have a meeting tomorrow morning.

I don't know about you, but if they get this bid I'm treating it as a playoff win. I'll be at Fountain Square like we won a championship. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

13 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

Toronto is still capable of expanding bigger. And it was designed that way. I think 40k is the limit before it just becomes a 'renovation' to squeeze more in.

Yeah, they can add temporary stands to the south end for big events but those stands can not be permanent because they have to close the road there to add them. The north end has been weird. They added seats, took them away, then added seats again (a lot less of course). I'm not certain but I think they could add more in the north end again if need be. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

22 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

Toronto is still capable of expanding bigger. And it was designed that way. I think 40k is the limit before it just becomes a 'renovation' to squeeze more in.

Stadiums such as Chicago, Colorado, FC Dallas, they aren't really. They're mostly 'bowls' and the concourse setup just doesn't really allow it. I'd say Rio Tinto has similar issues from the one time I was there

With the major roof designs you see in Orlando, I'm not sure how much bigger you can make it as-is without renovating it in some manner. Same with Portland. It can be made a bit bigger, but it wasn't ever really designed with expansion in mind.

FC Dallas only has a canopy over the new south end section. Both the East and West stands could add a a freestanding upper bowl.

On 4/29/2018 at 9:52 PM, Sykotyk said:

Stadiums such as Chicago, Colorado, FC Dallas, they aren't really. They're mostly 'bowls' and the concourse setup just doesn't really allow it. I'd say Rio Tinto has similar issues from the one time I was there

With the major roof designs you see in Orlando, I'm not sure how much bigger you can make it as-is without renovating it in some manner. Same with Portland. It can be made a bit bigger, but it wasn't ever really designed with expansion in mind.

Having been to Chicago, Colorado and Dallas, I think the concourse setup is part of why their design does lend itself to expansion. While there might not have been an expansion in mind when the stadium was built, it would be very easy to add a second level on top of the existing concourses in each of those stadiums (at least where there isn't a second level in Chicago), simply because the concourse is at the back of the seating area.

There's also, of course, the stages on the north end of each of those grounds that could easily become permanent seating.

6fQjS3M.png

Joey Alfieri of Montreal's TSN 690 is reporting that the Canadian Premier League's lineup of member-clubs for its inaugural season in 2019 will be based in the following markets:

British Columbia (thought to be based in either Surrey or Victoria)
Calgary
Edmonton
Halifax
Hamilton
Ottawa
Winnipeg
York 
(expected to be York 9 FC)

Kinda disappointed with the draw for LAFC on Saturday, especially with all of the missed opportunities, but kinda hard to score when FC Dallas plays a 5-4-1 and 5-3-2 for most of the match. 

Honestly couldn't tell if I was watching FC Dallas or Honduras. Hate that kind of football. Essentially played for the draw once they tied it up. 

Oh well, at least the Carson Galaxy lost this weekend. Onto Minnesota.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Tom Ricketts - owner and chairman of the Chicago Cubs - has announced that he will serve as the majority owner of a United Soccer League franchise that would play in a proposed 20,000-seat soccer-specific stadium near the City of Chicago's Lincoln Park and Bucktown neighborhoods. The stadium, part of the Lincoln Yards project being pursued by developer Sterling Bay, will be sited along the Chicago River.

Ricketts to Own New Chicago Soccer Team  

I mentioned it in the International thread, but Wayne Rooney has apparently agreed in principle to a deal with D.C. United. The figure mentioned has been £12m. 

I just started following D.C. again this year, so it will be mighty conflicting to root for Rooney as a Liverpool fan. 

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Crabcake47 said:

I mentioned it in the International thread, but Wayne Rooney has apparently agreed in principle to a deal with D.C. United. The figure mentioned has been £12m. 

I just started following D.C. again this year, so it will be mighty conflicting to root for Rooney as a Liverpool fan. 

As I DC sports fan I realize this would be a big deal for DCU, but seriously was that the highest amount offered to Rooney? Seems like he could practically pick any MLS team he wanted (a better team).

Hotter Than July > Thriller

1 hour ago, AstroBull21 said:

Can Chicago support MLS in the burbs and USL downtown?

A city that big?  Absolutely.  Keep in mind that with lower salaries the breakeven number for a USL club is lower.  I think they could do quite well drawing in the urban crowd. 

15 hours ago, Gothamite said:

A city that big?  Absolutely.  Keep in mind that with lower salaries the breakeven number for a USL club is lower.  I think they could do quite well drawing in the urban crowd. 

From what I've heard from friends who have gone to Toyota Park, I have a feeling the USL team has the potential to be more successful (at least financially).  

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

1 hour ago, mr.negative15 said:

From what I've heard from friends who have gone to Toyota Park, I have a feeling the USL team has the potential to be more successful (at least financially).  

Thats what Im feeling as well. The move to the suburbs for most of the teams hasnt really worked out well. If they play well and are well attended I think this USL team will be the next USL success story after Orlando, Sacramento and Cincinnati.

Also if this team gets ahold of the Chicago Sting name and logos that would be awesome as well. Its time to bring them back.

Signature intentionally left blank

1 minute ago, Dilbert said:

Thats what Im feeling as well. The move to the suburbs for most of the teams hasnt really worked out well. If they play well and are well attended I think this USL team will be the next USL success story after Orlando, Sacramento and Cincinnati.

Also if this team gets ahold of the Chicago Sting name and logos that would be awesome as well. Its time to bring them back.

With a 20,000 seat stadium I get the feeling that if they outsell the Fire he may try buying them again and moving them in to the stadium. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived