North American Pro Soccer 2018

Gothamite

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Austin City Council seemed to be strongarmed to make a decision on this morning, specifically by Austin attorney Richard Suttle on Item 60.

Suttle was adamant that if a vote was postponed, the MLS deadline of August 1 would have passed as the council would be on break.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Well, :censored: .

Not really surprised to see this happen, thought the unanimous decision to is a bit disconcerting. If that want away owner spent half as much time in columbus as he's spent in Austin maybe he'd fix the damn stadium instead of letting it rot. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

21 hours ago, Wings said:

Looks like it might be Inter Miami or Atletico Miami for Beckham's side. Miami Freedom was just a red herring. The Doral stadium announcement coming in a few weeks. 

I, don't actually mind Atletico Miami.

Miami is a majority Spanish speaking area, so using a Spanish name makes sense and isn't forced.

Edit: unlike, say, Real Salt Lake. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

1 hour ago, DiePerske said:

I, don't actually mind Atletico Miami.

Miami is a majority Spanish speaking area, so using a Spanish name makes sense and isn't forced.

Edit: unlike, say, Real Salt Lake

We all know that the King of Utah gave them his blessing. Why does everybody harp on this? 

On 6/28/2018 at 6:10 PM, 4_tattoos said:

So Wayne Rooney officially signs with DC United. He didn't get offers from a better MLS team than DCU?

Well, some teams already have three DPs, so unless they used TAM (Targeted Allocation Money) on one of them to free up a DP spot, they couldn't do anything. DC United had two DP spots open.

29 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Do they always play the LA Galaxy/San Jose game at Stanford?

No, just since 2012.

It's been at the Oakland Coliseum since the Beckham era too. Remember, the A's and Earthquakes have the same owners, but if the A's have a homestand, they rent Stanford.

On 6/30/2018 at 12:47 PM, GDAWG said:

It will be interesting to see who David Beckham pursues as his first DP for Miami.  I think he pursues a major name as the face of his franchise. 

Ronaldo?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 6/30/2018 at 10:44 AM, dfwabel said:

Well, some teams already have three DPs, so unless they used TAM (Targeted Allocation Money) on one of them to free up a DP spot, they couldn't do anything. DC United had two DP spots open.

I'm not sure how much of this really comes into play anymore, I used to remember it being a bigger deal in the past.

In a nutshell MLS pays the players, and not the team. BUT I think with the DP contract (I stand to be corrected on this) the team pays the player directly. So maybe it was just a money thing too? Maybe DC offered more than anyone else.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

2 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Toronto FC 2 will be a founding member of USL3

Wonder if we see a shift of some of the other "2" clubs.

https://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/931235

It could become the de facto MLS Reserve League but I hope to see a few other teams in there too. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Curious. 

My first thought was this is the D3 we've heard rumors of before where all the teams are MLS affiliates but none of the other teams moving to this league currently are. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Archived