North American Pro Soccer 2018

Gothamite

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, tigers said:

Why didn't Toronto 2 go to the new CPL?

Because they're a reserve team. CPL would rather have thecsenior team or none at all. I'm sure FIFA wouldn't allow them to play under a different federation either.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

Because they're a reserve team. CPL would rather have thecsenior team or none at all. I'm sure FIFA wouldn't allow them to play under a different federation either.

Technically they already do. ?

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

18 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Playing under two different federations. It'd be like Real Madrid B playing in French Lique 2.

No it wouldn't.

It's like Swansea City having their seconds in the WPL or TNS having their firsts in the EPL.

I would of thought that both the MLS and the Canadian Soccer Association would have wanted the CPL to have the best teams to attract sponsors and player as well good crowds, the only way to attract some decent crowds would be to have Toronto 2, Vancouver 2 and Montreal 2 involved from the start.

On the Pyramid breakdown from FIFA the new CPL is on level 1 with the MLS, yes honestly.

So clubs like York9 are on the same level as NYCFC, what a laugh.

Let the Canadian clubs seconds sides go back and play in their countries league and allow the sport to grow there.

Kind of a moot point really because Toronto FC 2 is the only Canadian "2" team now anyways.
Montreal is affiliated with Ottawa (who is expected to move to the CPL) and Vancouver is affiliated with Fresno FC. 

10 hours ago, tigers said:

On the Pyramid breakdown from FIFA the new CPL is on level 1 with the MLS, yes honestly.

So clubs like York9 are on the same level as NYCFC, what a laugh.

Why is that a laugh? (not trying to be a jerk, honestly asking).

Do you think NYCFC is as good as Barca? They are both Division 1 clubs. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

13 hours ago, mr.negative15 said:

Kind of a moot point really because Toronto FC 2 is the only Canadian "2" team now anyways.
Montreal is affiliated with Ottawa (who is expected to move to the CPL) and Vancouver is affiliated with Fresno FC. 

Why is that a laugh? (not trying to be a jerk, honestly asking).

Do you think NYCFC is as good as Barca? They are both Division 1 clubs. 

It's not moot, you just explained the set ups and that current Canadian clubs in the MLS do have seconds sides in different leagues. Would be better if they were in their own countries highest league is all.

I think NYCFC are as good as Barca being in the highest league in their country, what I am trying to establish is that the CPL is not the countries level one league.

The MLS is Canada's highest level of soccer and the CPL would be the equivalent of the USSL or similar, going by your Barca comparison you would think that BC Lions are the equal of the NE Pats.

9 hours ago, tigers said:

It's not moot, you just explained the set ups and that current Canadian clubs in the MLS do have seconds sides in different leagues. Would be better if they were in their own countries highest league is all.

I think NYCFC are as good as Barca being in the highest league in their country, what I am trying to establish is that the CPL is not the countries level one league.

The MLS is Canada's highest level of soccer and the CPL would be the equivalent of the USSL or similar, going by your Barca comparison you would think that BC Lions are the equal of the NE Pats.

What I meant by saying that it's moot is that 1 of those 3 teams are probably moving to the CPL and 1 is an American club. 

Ok, well, MLS is an American league and that's the difference here. Just like the EPL is England's 1st tier league but allows a club from Wales (Cardiff) in their competition. 

I would say you can consider the Welsh Premier League and the Canadian Premier League the top level in their countries but there are clubs in those countries who compete in leagues that are considered a higher level of play but are not that country's league.

......that's a frigging mouthful :) 

I won't get into the CFL/NFL thing because this is a soccer thread but yes, they are both the top tier level of football in their countries (despite the differences). 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

51 minutes ago, willmorris said:

Also keep in mind that the CSA could in theory force TFC, the Impact, and the Whitecaps out of MLS and into CPL. I highly doubt they do, though!

I'm not actually sure they could.  There's a long tradition of clubs being grandfathered into another country's top league when their own nation later starts one.  I don't see FIFA forcing the Montral, Toronto, and Vancouver into a new league even if the Canadian Soccer Association tries.

10 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I'm not actually sure they could.  There's a long tradition of clubs being grandfathered into another country's top league when their own nation later starts one.  I don't see FIFA forcing the Montral, Toronto, and Vancouver into a new league even if the Canadian Soccer Association tries.

Yeah that's what I was getting at too.

There a quite a few clubs in other nations leagues, but usually their Under 23's or seconds sides usually play in their own countries top or second division.

6 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

It's been rumor for a few weeks, has the contract been signed?

Seems like it. Red Bull NY already made coaching changes

https://mlssoccer.com/post/2018/07/06/jesse-marsch-departs-new-york-red-bulls-chris-armas-named-head-coach 

23 hours ago, tigers said:

Yeah that's what I was getting at too.

There a quite a few clubs in other nations leagues, but usually their Under 23's or seconds sides usually play in their own countries top or second division.

True, but here's where it gets interesting. There are Welsh teams in the English league system, and there's a couple English teams in the Welsh system. But in the eyes of UEFA and the FAs, those Welsh teams (like Swansea and Cardiff) are considered English. So if Swansea does well in Champions League, England gets credit for it, even though they're a Welsh team. (Don't forget that they play in the FA Cup too!) Meanwhile, Canadian teams in MLS are explicitly Canadian. They're not eligible for the Open Cup, nor can they qualify for Champions League using MLS criteria.

LvZYtbZ.png

I know that a lot can happen in the span of 15 to 20 years, but how was LAFC able to get a stadium built in the proper Los Angeles city limits, while Galaxy had to get StubHub Center built in Carson back in the early 2000's? Does LAFC's ownership have deeper pockets than Galaxy's did? What sat on the land that is now Banc of California Stadium that prevented Galaxy from building a stadium on that same spot back in 2003?

Hotter Than July > Thriller

30 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

I know that a lot can happen in the span of 15 to 20 years, but how was LAFC able to get a stadium built in the proper Los Angeles city limits, while Galaxy had to get StubHub Center built in Carson back in the early 2000's? Does LAFC's ownership have deeper pockets than Galaxy's did? What sat on the land that is now Banc of California Stadium that prevented Galaxy from building a stadium on that same spot back in 2003?

I'd have to check with our resident Californians but I believe that's where the LA Memorial Sports Arena was.

LvZYtbZ.png

5 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

USC used to site for basketball until 2006. 

The Galaxy are owned by AEG, LAFC by the owner of the Warriors/Dodgers. Both have very deep pockets. It was just a matter of timing.

Archived