Gothamite

North American Pro Soccer 2018

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Toronto FC 2 will be a founding member of USL3

 

Wonder if we see a shift of some of the other "2" clubs.

 

https://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/931235

It could become the de facto MLS Reserve League but I hope to see a few other teams in there too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Curious. 

 

My first thought was this is the D3 we've heard rumors of before where all the teams are MLS affiliates but none of the other teams moving to this league currently are. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tigers said:

Why didn't Toronto 2 go to the new CPL?

Because they're a reserve team. CPL would rather have thecsenior team or none at all. I'm sure FIFA wouldn't allow them to play under a different federation either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

Because they're a reserve team. CPL would rather have thecsenior team or none at all. I'm sure FIFA wouldn't allow them to play under a different federation either.

 

Technically they already do. ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, tigers said:

 

Technically they already do. ?

 

Playing under two different federations. It'd be like Real Madrid B playing in French Lique 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Playing under two different federations. It'd be like Real Madrid B playing in French Lique 2.

 

No it wouldn't.

It's like Swansea City having their seconds in the WPL or TNS having their firsts in the EPL.

 

I would of thought that both the MLS and the Canadian Soccer Association would have wanted the CPL to have the best teams to attract sponsors and player as well good crowds, the only way to attract some decent crowds would be to have Toronto 2, Vancouver 2 and Montreal 2 involved from the start.

 

On the Pyramid breakdown from FIFA the new CPL is on level 1 with the MLS, yes honestly.

So clubs like York9 are on the same level as NYCFC, what a laugh.

 

Let the Canadian clubs seconds sides go back and play in their countries league and allow the sport to grow there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kind of a moot point really because Toronto FC 2 is the only Canadian "2" team now anyways.
Montreal is affiliated with Ottawa (who is expected to move to the CPL) and Vancouver is affiliated with Fresno FC. 
 

10 hours ago, tigers said:

On the Pyramid breakdown from FIFA the new CPL is on level 1 with the MLS, yes honestly.

 So clubs like York9 are on the same level as NYCFC, what a laugh.

Why is that a laugh? (not trying to be a jerk, honestly asking).

Do you think NYCFC is as good as Barca? They are both Division 1 clubs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, mr.negative15 said:

Kind of a moot point really because Toronto FC 2 is the only Canadian "2" team now anyways.
Montreal is affiliated with Ottawa (who is expected to move to the CPL) and Vancouver is affiliated with Fresno FC. 
 

Why is that a laugh? (not trying to be a jerk, honestly asking).

Do you think NYCFC is as good as Barca? They are both Division 1 clubs. 

 

It's not moot, you just explained the set ups and that current Canadian clubs in the MLS do have seconds sides in different leagues. Would be better if they were in their own countries highest league is all.

 

I think NYCFC are as good as Barca being in the highest league in their country, what I am trying to establish is that the CPL is not the countries level one league.

The MLS is Canada's highest level of soccer and the CPL would be the equivalent of the USSL or similar, going by your Barca comparison you would think that BC Lions are the equal of the NE Pats.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, tigers said:

 

It's not moot, you just explained the set ups and that current Canadian clubs in the MLS do have seconds sides in different leagues. Would be better if they were in their own countries highest league is all.

 

I think NYCFC are as good as Barca being in the highest league in their country, what I am trying to establish is that the CPL is not the countries level one league.

The MLS is Canada's highest level of soccer and the CPL would be the equivalent of the USSL or similar, going by your Barca comparison you would think that BC Lions are the equal of the NE Pats.

 

 

What I meant by saying that it's moot is that 1 of those 3 teams are probably moving to the CPL and 1 is an American club. 

 

Ok, well, MLS is an American league and that's the difference here. Just like the EPL is England's 1st tier league but allows a club from Wales (Cardiff) in their competition. 

I would say you can consider the Welsh Premier League and the Canadian Premier League the top level in their countries but there are clubs in those countries who compete in leagues that are considered a higher level of play but are not that country's league.

......that's a frigging mouthful :) 

 

I won't get into the CFL/NFL thing because this is a soccer thread but yes, they are both the top tier level of football in their countries (despite the differences). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also keep in mind that the CSA could in theory force TFC, the Impact, and the Whitecaps out of MLS and into CPL. I highly doubt they do, though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, willmorris said:

Also keep in mind that the CSA could in theory force TFC, the Impact, and the Whitecaps out of MLS and into CPL. I highly doubt they do, though!

 

I'm not actually sure they could.  There's a long tradition of clubs being grandfathered into another country's top league when their own nation later starts one.  I don't see FIFA forcing the Montral, Toronto, and Vancouver into a new league even if the Canadian Soccer Association tries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Gothamite said:

 

I'm not actually sure they could.  There's a long tradition of clubs being grandfathered into another country's top league when their own nation later starts one.  I don't see FIFA forcing the Montral, Toronto, and Vancouver into a new league even if the Canadian Soccer Association tries.

 

Yeah that's what I was getting at too.

 

There a quite a few clubs in other nations leagues, but usually their Under 23's or seconds sides usually play in their own countries top or second division.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Berlin Wall said:

Jesse Marsch to become head coach of RB Leipzig.

It's been rumor for a few weeks, has the contract been signed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep.  Apparently Armas has been running training since Thursday.  And Marsch has already flown to Germany to finalize a contract with Leipzig.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, tigers said:

 

Yeah that's what I was getting at too.

 

There a quite a few clubs in other nations leagues, but usually their Under 23's or seconds sides usually play in their own countries top or second division.

 

True, but here's where it gets interesting. There are Welsh teams in the English league system, and there's a couple English teams in the Welsh system. But in the eyes of UEFA and the FAs, those Welsh teams (like Swansea and Cardiff) are considered English. So if Swansea does well in Champions League, England gets credit for it, even though they're a Welsh team. (Don't forget that they play in the FA Cup too!) Meanwhile, Canadian teams in MLS are explicitly Canadian. They're not eligible for the Open Cup, nor can they qualify for Champions League using MLS criteria.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know that a lot can happen in the span of 15 to 20 years, but how was LAFC able to get a stadium built in the proper Los Angeles city limits, while Galaxy had to get StubHub Center built in Carson back in the early 2000's? Does LAFC's ownership have deeper pockets than Galaxy's did? What sat on the land that is now Banc of California Stadium that prevented Galaxy from building a stadium on that same spot back in 2003?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now