North American Pro Soccer 2018

Gothamite

So Sacramento needs to find more money, and Cincy needs to settle on a stadium.  Good for MLS to wait and give them time, although I wish a group like Phoenix could have been among the finalists. Would love to see what they could do with this extra time and leverage. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, its an interesting off season in Whitecaps land. Lots of turnover, Jordan Harvey is off to LAFC, we brough in Doneil Henry for some reason, Ousted may being traded to DCU, got Kei Kamara, still no resolution on Montero and Yordy Reyna is somehow mixed up with the death of a teenage girl back in Peru. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2017 at 10:23 PM, GDAWG said:

So Nashville would make the 6th MLS team to have an NFL owner with the owners of the Vikings, joining Atlanta, Dallas, New England, Colorado and Seattle.  I don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing. 

For New England and Colorado I would say it's bad. Their owners don't seem to be invested in trying to improve the team, only in making sure they bring them some money in. For Atlanta and Seattle I'd say it's pretty good, outside of them playing in larger stadiums that have to be roped off for games against non-rivals. Dallas is somewhere in the middle but I think the Hunts actually try to make FC Dallas the best team that they can make it. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/2018/01/05/report-indy-eleven-join-usl-2018/1009460001/

If true, the NASL essentially has 3 functional franchises (Jacksonville, NYCosmos, Miami FC), 2 expansions in flux(1904 FC, Cal United), and 1 that may never be able to get of the ground (Puerto Rico FC). 

Edit: Apparently 2 possible functional franchises meaning the 2 that were spearheading the lawsuit to begin with, Cosmos and Miami

On top of that, the NASL has announced they won't be having their Spring Season this year "due to aligning themselves with the International calendar".  Translation: We may not exist and this buys us some time to figure it out while the good teams are abandoning ship.

http://www.nasl.com/news/2018/01/08/north-american-soccer-league-announces-move-to-international-calendar

16 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

This is a sorry way to end a league. 

Yes, it is.  But that's how they ran their business.

It's bitterly ironic.  The original NASL died because the original Cosmos spent more than they could possibly earn - losing $2M a year, but winning enough that other clubs similarly overspent. The Cosmos could do this because it was a personal indulgence of the the head of Warner Communications, which owned the club. But when Warners had a downturn and had to sell off assets, the whole house of cards came crumbling down and the NASL collapsed.  They had built an ultimately unsustainable league.

Then in 2009, a new league started up.  It bought the name of the original, and tweaked the logo, and determined to do things differently.  They were no longer the top level of soccer in the US, but the second, and decided to work with Major League Soccer to build a sustainable sport.  Then an Englishman bought the Cosmos name and launched a new club, and everything went to hell again.  Negotiations with MLS were broken off almost immediately, and the new NASL took a publicly combative stance, seeking to challenge MLS for top-level status.  All led by the new Cosmos.  Which led to short-term over long-term planning, a series of shady business decisions, and a whole lot of debt.  And now they're teetering on the edge of extinction because they couldn't be bothered to build a sustainable league.

The whole business is a very sorry affair.

Yeah, the league asked them back in 2012(?), but they decided that they were too important to play by the league's rules, and they could eventually force MLS to cave.  Whoops. 

No matter.  I'm very happy with my Pigeons now.  Can't worry about what didn't happen.  But I do think the NASL's fans deserved better than what the league gave them.

Atlanta United FC has announced that its United Soccer League affiliate will be branded as Atlanta United 2, which will be abbreviated as ATL UTD 2.

Atlanta United officially announces USL Affiliate Atlanta United 2

The ATL UTD 2 logo features the five vertical stripes found in the Atlanta United crest to reflect a direct relationship between the First Team, USL and Academy while honoring the club's five pillars of character. The circle shape pays homage to the city of Atlanta's seal. The dominant "2" sits at the center of the emblem, which differentiates it from the iconic, nested "A" found in the primary Atlanta United logo.  The Golden Spike is linked to the "2", tying the mark back to the city's railroad history. The spikes's connection with the "2" shows ATL UTD 2 is not just a second team. It is rooted to the city and is a vital part of Atlanta United.

It's official. Eleven to USL. That'll do it.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

3 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

Atlanta United FC has announced that its United Soccer League affiliate will be branded as Atlanta United 2, which will be abbreviated as ATL UTD 2.

Atlanta United officially announces USL Affiliate Atlanta United 2

The ATL UTD 2 logo features the five vertical stripes found in the Atlanta United crest to reflect a direct relationship between the First Team, USL and Academy while honoring the club's five pillars of character. The circle shape pays homage to the city of Atlanta's seal. The dominant "2" sits at the center of the emblem, which differentiates it from the iconic, nested "A" found in the primary Atlanta United logo.  The Golden Spike is linked to the "2", tying the mark back to the city's railroad history. The spikes's connection with the "2" shows ATL UTD 2 is not just a second team. It is rooted to the city and is a vital part of Atlanta United.

They nailed it!

#DadJokes

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

15 hours ago, Pharos04 said:

and then there were six four three?

There are reports that the USL has delayed its schedule announcement because they’re still in talks with another NASL club about joining for this year.  

Dont think it’s PR - USL clubs aren’t keen on those travel costs.  So who’s left?  Of the two possibly mythical NASL expansion clubs, SD has said it won’t be ready until 2019, and Cal United doesn’t actually exist.   Jacksonville already announced that they’re looking at non-USL options, but maybe they’ve changed their minds. That leaves us the Cosmos and Miami. 

If we don't get into MLS a 4 way rivalry between Cincinnati, Indianpolis, Louisville, and Columbus* would be cool. 

*assuming someone wants to make it happen after they relocate to Austin:censored:AnthonyPrecourt

PvO6ZWJ.png

5 hours ago, Gothamite said:

There are reports that the USL has delayed its schedule announcement because they’re still in talks with another NASL club about joining for this year.  

Dont think it’s PR - USL clubs aren’t keen on those travel costs.  So who’s left?  Of the two possibly mythical NASL expansion clubs, SD has said it won’t be ready until 2019, and Cal United doesn’t actually exist.   Jacksonville already announced that they’re looking at non-USL options, but maybe they’ve changed their minds. That leaves us the Cosmos and Miami. 

Its gotta be Jacksonville....Miami and Cosmos seem like the captains of the sinking NASL ship and will go down with it.  PR seems disorganized for a March-April start, and like you said Cal U. and SD are longshots for the future.

37 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Its gotta be Jacksonville....Miami and Cosmos seem like the captains of the sinking NASL ship and will go down with it.

True, but a year ago we would have said exactly the same thing about Edmonton and Indy.  And they both left. 

Also reading reports that Puerto Rico hasn’t paid its players since December 15th.  Despite the fact that NASL contracts are supposed to be year-round, not just the season.  PRFC seems dead. 

Archived