Gothamite

North American Pro Soccer 2018

On 9/13/2018 at 9:55 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

This is why I was pleased when the U.S. team failed to qualify for the most recent World Cup.  I want soccer to succeed in the U.S.; but when the national team does well, that does more to empower jingoism (and, specifically, virulent hatred of Mexicans) than it does to promote soccer.

The popularity of soccer in the U.S. can grow entirely on the backs of American fans of club football, be they supporters of MLS clubs or of European or South American clubs.  Those are the good soccer fans.  By contrast, U.S. national team fans are the ugly element.

The National team is kind of a really boom or bust way to build a fan base for something. Especially when the exposure level is still basically non-existent for a large part of the domestic population. We’re not nearly developed enough as a soccer nation to compete with the cornerstones of the world, so the only way to do that is to develop from the ground up.

/side bar/ 

That’s why youth soccer and the lower professional leagues are so important. The USL looks super wacky growing so rapidly with a million teams playing in weird places, but that’s such a promising sign for the future of the game. If you can gain the interest of people in the actual sport, the rest of the development comes naturally. I think the people in charge of things know this, and realize that pro/reg would be too far of a jump at this current point. 

Do you really want pro/reg in the states? Then work more on growing the game at the lower levels some more and be patient. The increase in interest in soccer over the last decade has been INSANE in the states, so why try to shake things up so much right now? Pro/reg will come in time, if the foundation is there. 

Soccer in this country has a crazy promising future, as long as they don’t :censored: with it too much and just let it be.

9 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:
On 9/13/2018 at 12:55 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The popularity of soccer in the U.S. can grow entirely on the backs of American fans of club football, be they supporters of MLS clubs or of European or South American clubs. 

The USL looks super wacky growing so rapidly with a million teams playing in weird places, but that’s such a promising sign for the future of the game. If you can gain the interest of people in the actual sport, the rest of the development comes naturally.

I was remiss in mentioning only MLS when alluding to American clubs.  Fans of USL teams (and NASL teams, if that league ever re-starts) count, also.

12 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

I think the people in charge of things know this, and realize that pro/reg would be too far of a jump at this current point. 

Do you really want pro/reg in the states?

[SCREECH!]

No, I absolutely do not want pro/rel [note that it "rel" for "relegation", not "reg"] in American soccer.  That is a perfectly absurd way to decide which teams belong in the top league.

If MLS sees great support for a lower-league team in certain location, it might put a team there, sometimes bringing in the lower-league team's ownership, and in a sense "promoting" that team.  This happened in Minnesota and Cincinnati.  Or the league might decide to put a team in a given city based on research that that it doesn't make public. (Nothing that the Atlanta Silverbacks did could have made anyone expect the massive support that Atlanta United have received.)

The point is that the league should decide which cities it operates in.

Promotion and relegation was a historical accident.  It is neither necessary nor desireable for American soccer.  MLS is currently turning away ownership groups that want to join; and team values are skyrocketing.  Pro/rel would kill that.  The league would never attract potential owners if buying in as an "investor-operator" (to use the lingo of the league's appalling single-entity structure) carried the risk that the team would drop out of the top flight.

Oh yeah, I wouldn’t want it, either. I’m just saying that if you (the royal you) do, it’s gonna take a lot of work, and a lot of time. But, it is possible. 

Before I look locally, what's going on in Denver today?

I flipped through channels and saw Rapids/Atlanta Utd. on Univision and there was a VERY SMALL crowd.   The side the camera shoots at was virtually empty.

5 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Before I look locally, what's going on in Denver today?

I flipped through channels and saw Rapids/Atlanta Utd. on Univision and there was a VERY SMALL crowd.   The side the camera shoots at was virtually empty.

The Rapids suck and don't draw well in the first place. Probably not much more to it, honestly.

The second-half Sounders have now won 9 in a row and are unbeaten in 12.

Raul Ruidiaz is also very, very good.

FC Cincinnati is now unbeaten in 18 and have won 7 straight. These guys look great. Cant wait to see them in MLS next year.

Peter B. Freund and Craig Unger - owners of both the United Soccer League expansion franchise Memphis FC 901 and the Pacific Coast League champion Memphis Redbirds Triple A baseball team - have purchased an English professional soccer club.  

Through Victoria Road Football Club, LLC, Freund and Unger - along with American goalkeeper Tim Howard - have acquired the majority of ownership shares in Dagenham & Redbridge FC, an East London-based professional soccer club that competes in England's fifth-tier National League.

Joining Freund, Unger, and Howard in the Victoria Road Football Club consortium are Dan Schwab, Michael Schwab, Amy Silfen, and Mark Butler.

Consortium Secures Daggers Future with Investment

Down 1-0 at halftime FC Cincinnati scored twice in the second half to win their 8th straight match, unbeaten in 19 straight (since May 26th) and have clinched the USL Eastern Conference title tonight at Penn FC. They have a chance to clinch the USL Supporters Shield as the overall regular season champion next Wednesday at Richmond.